• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
MetHerb

Spring Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

The last tiny patch of snow in a roadside ditch near my home finally melted this afternoon. This is a very shady north facing spot that gets hardly any sun due to dense stand of red spruce and balsam fir. The black flies weren't so bad today perhaps due to last night's frost and today's sunshine and low humidity. This made for a productive day of raking the yard in preparation for topsoil and grass seed. 

With the exception of the aspens, which have small leaves, I have not quite leafed out yet, however just down the hill from me it has. Funny how 200' of elevation can make a difference. North Adams on the other hand looks like a jungle compared to here.

IMG_0518.JPG

• Like 2

What a day. All of the flowering trees around town are blooming. The early leaves have that lime green look with the beautiful deep blue backdrop behind them. Max was 67.2F with a light breeze. Got a bit of a burn but oh well. A+

Top ten day for sure.

High of 71F off a low of 28F...the classic 43F diurnal range you get this time of year. 

Leaves are really starting to pop now.

Took a ski up and down Mansfield today... natural snowpack hanging on in the Spruce forest up high.  Snowmaking snow still skiable to the base on a couple routes, if you are creative.  So nice to still get on snow 5 days a week in mid-May ha.

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

What a day. All of the flowering trees around town are blooming. The early leaves have that lime green look with the beautiful deep blue backdrop behind them. Max was 67.2F with a light breeze. Got a bit of a burn but oh well. A+

I get almost as much visual enjoyment from the spring greens as I do the fall foliage. 

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Top ten day for sure.

High of 71F off a low of 28F...the classic 43F diurnal range you get this time of year. 

Leaves are really starting to pop now.

69/26 here with nearly unbroken sunshine.  Yesterday was the 5th day with diurnal range 40+, and Saturday it was 39.  Thru the 13th, the month is averaging 69/38, AN by 3.7.  Top range for any month here is May 2001 with 29.9, and I hope we break that mark, because doing so would mean an absence of much (if any) 40s misery mist.  May has the highest average range with 24.5, though April is only 0.7 behind. 

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

What is it like to be outside? Right now it's heavy, heavy diaper changes inside.

+FC

Heavy fecal cleanup?

52 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

What is it like to be outside? Right now it's heavy, heavy diaper changes inside.

Babies can go outside you know

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Babies can go outside you know

I think we're getting close. Day 3 at home and we're finally getting close to an eat, burp, 2-3 hour nap cycle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think we're getting close. Day 3 at home and we're finally getting close to an eat, burp, 2-3 hour nap cycle.

Pro tip - don't clean the house, let them build up their immune system!

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Pro tip - don't clean the house, let them build up their immune system!

Don't worry, chores are not a high priority at the moment. :lol:

24 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Don't worry, chores are not a high priority at the moment. :lol:

The only thing I made sure I did was clean the kitchen every night  to maintain sanity in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The woman I know at Umass Agriculture told me they are seeing NewEngland Lyme test levels running slightly above last year but more concerning is ticks testing positive for Babeosis.  Lyme can F you up but Babeosis can kill you if it goes too long without treatment. She called it the American version of malaria. 

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The woman I know at Umass Agriculture told me they are seeing NewEngland Lyme test levels running slightly above last year but more concerning is ticks testing positive for Babeosis.  Lyme can F you up but Babeosis can kill you if it goes too long without treatment. She called it the American version of malaria. 

Yeah, lot of newer tick-borne diseases out there.  Powassan Virus is another.  No treatment for that yet.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah, lot of newer tick-borne diseases out there.  Powassan Virus is another.  No treatment for that yet.

Yeah, I think she told me there are five diseases they are tracking now.   We generally use the natural repellent's but now that the boy is almost 7 I have started spraying deet on our shoes when going into high-risk areas.

13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yeah, I think she told me there are five diseases they are tracking now.   We generally use the natural repellent's but now that the boy is almost 7 I have started spraying deet on our shoes when going into high-risk areas.

The risk from DEET is extremely low...  many years of use by millions of people.  Very few cases of issues.

I get trying to avoid it, especially for kids, but the ticks are a much bigger risk

• Like 1