Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 11-12 Potential Storm

stormtracker

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I didnt see anyone mention this mornings RGEM run. But it looks much better than the NAM as far as LP position goes. I am not trying to extrapolate. But at 12Z Saturday it has a stronger vort in a better position for us IMO.

I agree the rgem was headed towards a good result. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple thoughts: 

For me personally, it is much easier to track March storms than January/February storms. I've already kind of gotten over winter to an extent and know that any snow we receive in March is lucky. It makes a whiff easier to deal with than in the dead of winter. I know spring if right around the corner and I'll be giving up the chase soon. 

We really should have a good idea by 0z tonight if we are still in the game or we're really trending to a suppressed mess. The mesos should be in range and all pieces will be sampled well. I'd hold off jumping off the ledge until 0z tonight even if things come in more suppressed today. 

39 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@showmethesnow

I agree with your post about the general setup but with one exception... I don't like that stuff I circled in red

WhatIdontlike.png.3caa129b47b9442ee2a034f72d28c5f3.png

Everything else is fine.  The 50/50 is good and its moving out/relaxing as the storm approaches...perfect timing.  The ridge out west is plenty far enough west to allow this to bomb up the coast.  Everything is there... and I have to thank Ian last night for helping me clarify what it was about the flow that I juts wasn't liking.  A few days ago just looking at the h5 progression I "SAW" how major amplification far enough north for us was favored.  Then the last day or so when I was looking at the h5 progression and looping things it just didn't look right.  I could see how the whole thing sliding out under us was possible when I was just looking and getting a feel for how the flow of the waves felt.  I know that isn't uber scientific but sometimes I just like to loop things and look at it and let it pop out where things should go.  That crap diving in right on top of us is the problem IMO.  Its pressing down on the whole thing as its trying to amplify.  If this fails that is going to be the biggest culprit IMO.  Remove that or dive it in slower, or further west...and there is room for that whole thing to come north.  But if that is pressing down on it, its going to slide east under it then phase and bomb up off New England.  But thats one thing...it could easily trend slower, or west and then its not a problem.  But I don't like it there one bit.  

Definitely can see what you are saying with that feature sliding down out of Canada and its possible impacts. But I do have to question if in fact the slower 50/50 is the culprit here. Have some other things to do so I don't have the time to diagram it out but will try to explain as best I can. If you look at hour 84 on the 06z vs. the 90hr on the 00z. Notice the stronger ridging/heights between the 50/50 and the energy dropping down from N Canada (especially to the se of the that energy dropping in). We are seeing this because of the slower departing 50/50. What this is doing is hindering that energy's natural tendency to drop towards our trough in the Midwest and instead is redirecting it more easterly. So instead of this feature dropping more westerly towards the trough as seen on previous runs we are now seeing it drop ore easterly where it could possibly become a concern. I honestly believe, if all things stay roughly the same that if we see a slightly quicker departing 50/50 we will see a world of improvement. But that is just my opinion for whatever it is worth. Again sorry for the lack of visual aids, hope you can get the jist of what I am saying.

eta: And as I see it we are not talking much of an adjustment as far as speed on that departing low to have a very meaningful impact with results for our region.

45 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@showmethesnow

I agree with your post about the general setup but with one exception... I don't like that stuff I circled in red

Everything else is fine.  The 50/50 is good and its moving out/relaxing as the storm approaches...perfect timing.  The ridge out west is plenty far enough west to allow this to bomb up the coast.  Everything is there... and I have to thank Ian last night for helping me clarify what it was about the flow that I juts wasn't liking.  A few days ago just looking at the h5 progression I "SAW" how major amplification far enough north for us was favored.  Then the last day or so when I was looking at the h5 progression and looping things it just didn't look right.  I could see how the whole thing sliding out under us was possible when I was just looking and getting a feel for how the flow of the waves felt.  I know that isn't uber scientific but sometimes I just like to loop things and look at it and let it pop out where things should go.  That crap diving in right on top of us is the problem IMO.  Its pressing down on the whole thing as its trying to amplify.  If this fails that is going to be the biggest culprit IMO.  Remove that or dive it in slower, or further west...and there is room for that whole thing to come north.  But if that is pressing down on it, its going to slide east under it then phase and bomb up off New England.  But thats one thing...it could easily trend slower, or west and then its not a problem.  But I don't like it there one bit.  

yea man...ive been talking about that for days. I always felt like that diving in was having a negative impact on us do its terrible timing. But not sure how you get rid of it..it huge

26 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I didnt see anyone mention this mornings RGEM run. But it looks much better than the NAM as far as LP position goes. I am not trying to extrapolate. But at 12Z Saturday it has a stronger vort in a better position for us IMO.

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree the rgem was headed towards a good result. 

Well if we're extrapolating the RGEM...

NzZWc9n.png

MkMOlUh.png

Looks better than the 06z GGEM at that time.  Normally I'd give more weight to the GGEM, but there was a period during this last storm when the extended RGEM seemed to have a better handle on the storm than the GGEM.

24 minutes ago, mappy said:

I know we are all at our wits end this winter with the lack of snow, but lets try to make decent, thought provoking posts. Explain your stance, why you think its going to do what it does, etc etc. We have a banter thread for people to joke and carry on in. Please and thanks! 

- sick and cranky "management" 

ill take the low in southern colorado  for 500 alex

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_41.png

Where are you getting the extended RGEM from? I dont have that link for some reason? Or I just cant find it in the hundred of other weather bookmarks I have :)

Edit: NVM it is on the map :) Oh man. That site is in French. I shouldnt have taken 4 years of German in high school. It does nothing to help with my weather obsession :)

36 minutes ago, anotherman said:

You are so right.  Who am I kidding?

lol.  Darn sport.

NAO has been long awaited, and watch it push this one south.  If this becomes a MA special, while I'll be glad for them.....I quit.

living in the N/S jip zone, is tough sledding.

(had to add some meteo perspective, because I/we are being trolled by management ;).... )

3 minutes ago, DCAlexandria said:

This is the kind of setup where southerns could score big, while Mappy gets skunked.

yeah this setup could be a southern special.  While the NAO isnt raging neg (-1), I'm wondering how well it can gain latitude with the lack of ridging modelled. 

The 500 mb lobe dropping south out of the lakes region is really acting like a bulldog.  The feature has become more pronounced over the past few model cycles and does seem to limit the ability of this storm to amplify or gain much latitude.  It is a concern, and it's a big feature.  Secondly, with the marginal air in place those of us without elevation won't score much if any accumulation if rates are light, even with .25"-.30" qpf.  With this airmass in place we probably need .75" - 1.5" qpf to see a decent accumulation.  Models still have room for some improvement and we could still score a moderate to major march snowfall if that 500 MB lobe diving south out of east Canada is weaker or further west as Hoffman pointed out. 

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Eh, I don't think so...it will scrape us.  I think we're skunked this run. 

NS a little late to the party.  SS was better though so 1 step forward, 1 step back it seems.

Archived