Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm Observations

Rtd208

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

This week has been bad for the area. All of the weaker trees around my yard got taken out. 

Yeah lost a fence and damaged my pool friday, and had a tree almost land in the exact same spot last night, got lucky and it missed everything.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Yeah lost a fence and damaged my pool friday, and had a tree almost land in the exact same spot last night, got lucky and it missed everything.

I lost a fence Friday too.  Then we lost power for 16 hours yesterday from 7 inches of snow.  Trees and branches down everywhere.

8 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I had no idea Litchfield got so much snow. 28", holy smokes.

DXxXmrJX4AE4hSj.jpg:large

I’m headed right to that 36” tonight. That’s where my ski House is!!!

very impactful storm in wantagh. 5” of that kind of cement will do it.

lost the largest branch we have lost since Irene and it went right through my neighbors fence. Part of my neighborhood still has no power 

I wouldn’t call this a miss 

12 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I’m headed right to that 36” tonight. That’s where my ski House is!!!

very impactful storm in wantagh. 5” of that kind of cement will do it.

lost the largest branch we have lost since Irene and it went right through my neighbors fence. Part of my neighborhood still has no power 

I wouldn’t call this a miss 

Envious! Enjoy it.

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

That 24.3 in Newtown, CT looks bogus.

The OKX PNS has a spotter-reported 26.8" in New Fairfield, so it's not totally on an island. In our area, Rockland, Orange, Columbia, Fairfield, and Litchfield counties all had 24"+ reports, so we know the storm was capable of it.

9 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Envious! Enjoy it.

The OKX PNS has a spotter-reported 26.8" in New Fairfield, so it's not totally on an island. In our area, Rockland, Orange, Columbia, Fairfield, and Litchfield counties all had 24"+ reports, so we know the storm was capable of it.

There was bands too so who knows.  My in laws are in the next town over-Monroe and they had about 12-14 so seems odd there would be double just 5 miles away

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Central Dutchess was actually a pretty righteous screw zone relative to everywhere else... at least if you believe the reported totals across the region. 21" 15 miles to my west in Highland, 20" 15 miles north in Pine Plains, 28" 15 miles east in Warren, then all the crazy 2' amounts in eastern Orange. 13.1" here.

You had a perfect opportunity to make a Stealers Wheel "piles to the left of me, icebergs to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with foot" reference and utterly blew it.  This is the most disappointed I've been since Jim Cantore's hair blew off in Hurricane Andrew and never grew back.

I got 3 inches in the Bronx I still need an inch to be average I think we'll get that sometime this month. Regardless it was a great winter not too cold but decently snowy. I just wish NYC got clobbered the last two times but the urban heat is unreal. By the way it was raining in the Bronx last night as the system was pulling out around 8pm 

• Rjay unpinned and pinned this topic
12 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

I got 3 inches in the Bronx I still need an inch to be average I think we'll get that sometime this month. Regardless it was a great winter not too cold but decently snowy. I just wish NYC got clobbered the last two times but the urban heat is unreal. By the way it was raining in the Bronx last night as the system was pulling out around 8pm 

Personally, I think we had a little more than that, especially if you account for the snowfall the previous night and the constant melting/compaction. Someone on Grand Concourse measured 5.3". I'm going with 5.5" in Pelham Gardens, a very residential area.

The UHI does make a massive difference. We also smoked exhaust from the mega-band over NNJ/Rockland that gave those 2' totals. The subsidence was a factor all day.

6 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Central Dutchess was actually a pretty righteous screw zone relative to everywhere else... at least if you believe the reported totals across the region. 21" 15 miles to my west in Highland, 20" 15 miles north in Pine Plains, 28" 15 miles east in Warren, then all the crazy 2' amounts in eastern Orange. 13.1" here.

After days of no power a 'miss' on the big totals is just fine with me. 

North and West - I shoveled for 4 1/2 hours too. My banks were over head high last night before settling, now they're around shoulder height. 

11 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Unreal. Other then lga I think you had the least in our entire area. Definitly more then that in wantagh with solid cover still expect for under trees

Areas without any sun still have some coverage but open areas/fields are mostly bare now, a few patches here and there. 

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Down to shopping mall piles here and patches on the grass. 

Will all be a memory tmorw I went from valley stream to wantagh-east meadow plowing and looked to be pretty much the same depth.

3 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

Here are some pics from last night.  23 inches was the average.  Some areas were slightly lower, while others were higher (up to 25") 

There's a car under there somewhere.

Car Under Snow 1 - Copy.JPG

23 Inches - Copy.JPG

Snowy March Scene - Copy.JPG

I took some photos and my iPhone shows the time each one was taken . At 4pm I had 10 inches . At 720om I had over 22 . Don’t  think we will see a three hr period like that again in along time 

6 hours ago, North and West said:

2179f61d52bac424f84ecb822d722088.jpg&key=15fae348021f5f3a63e1efde9acfaf52bff48ae22e80a1632a62fcf2a6d6173e

b6f8851dfdd1ad853e329ef1d3306ce3.jpg

Here you go.

Thanks - great graphics!  For some storms, I've seen the NWS Eastern Region publishing snowfall maps for the entire region, but haven't been able to find that (that website is horrible).  The various offices usually do them, except for NYC, often (not up right now) - Philly office just put theirs up, which is nice...

No automatic alt text available.

1 hour ago, rgwp96 said:

I took some photos and my iPhone shows the time each one was taken. At 4pm I had 10 inches. At 720pm I had over 22. Don’t think we will see a three hr period like that again in along time 

I agree.  The rates between 3-7pm defientely beat out January 2016, and I think any other storm I've ever witnessed.

Archived