Newest Member
    joxey
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

just fwiw - here is the GFS 850 mb temperature layout while it's engulfing the better part of the region within that rain ball at 90 hours:

gfs850.jpg.0e90f43b465f10283544d091fb69dbd9.jpg

image.png

I think its the warm tongue at 925mb that becomes problematic on the GFS run.

925.gif

Here is the total qpf from the 12Z GFS.  There was a bit of talk last night about how the GFS over amps precip over terrain areas.  I am always in the qpf hole in my location (marked with an X) and it drives me nuts.  Seems like the Worcester hills also get more precip but maybe that is correct with rising relief.  Up in my hood it makes it really hard for me to determine what my qpf will be with areas around me almost always modeled to get more.

Untitled.jpg

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Agreat met once told me, “As long as your within reasonable distance on the nw side of a developing 850 track, do not worry about qpf.” 

I wonder if that was the same one that told me to beware of the warming aloft?

I don't like the trend to get that Canadian S/W more intimately involved. Seems to me like it's shifting the mass of the system northwestward and preventing the piece that's actually the ULL from really cranking near the coast allowing the system to really explode.

at least, that's the way it seems to me

15 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Here is the total qpf from the 12Z GFS.  There was a bit of talk last night about how the GFS over amps precip over terrain areas.  I am always in the qpf hole in my location (marked with an X) and it drives me nuts.  Seems like the Worcester hills also get more precip but maybe that is correct with rising relief.  Up in my hood it makes it really hard for me to determine what my qpf will be with areas around me almost always modeled to get more.

Untitled.jpg

Congrats coastal Maine.  We need it.

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Untitled.jpg

The GFS likes to make little sucker holes all over now in it's attempt to show every minutia of oro effects. That might be a fiction.

Another foot fr me if the GFS was correct.

6 minutes ago, Logan11 said:

The GFS likes to make little sucker holes all over now in it's attempt to show every minutia of oro effects. That might be a fiction.

Another foot fr me if the GFS was correct.

Thank for the reply Logan.  It's been a long time since I've said hi.  Hope you enjoyed that dump the other day.  Might as well add to it!

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I would tend to agree, Its not like the one the other day that couldn't overcome +2c with those easterly winds.

Right ...

See, not that you asked ...or need this pointed out or anything, but the last system was really kind of insidious in the way that it masked the GFS low level ...what I would adjective with 'egregious' warm bias.  The GFS was going to print rain for that system regardless of whether it snowed or not... so it rained, and the GFS looks brilliant - ah...yeeeah 

Just as it's attempting to do now... We'll see.  But this is better test scenario for its bias. Antecedent set up bears almost no resemblance to that last system... So if folks are perhaps jaded by that... try not to be.  It may rain? It might - okay..it's post March 1, which is an annual apocalypse to winter weather enthusiasts, anyway... so yar... rain is sort of a standard base-line probability.

Excluding climo, the synoptics really do connote a colder profile ...particularly when dynamics comes into play and so forth.

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

Thank for the reply Logan.  It's been a long time since I've said hi.  Hope you enjoyed that dump the other day.  Might as well add to it!

Don't worry about that stuff.... the GFS is way too heavily terrain enhanced as we were talking about the other day.

Sometimes it makes sense in say strong low level upslope patterns but for synoptic precipitation it takes it too far.

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Hey Gene!  Yep we go   back to the ancient IRC days on the mid/late 90's.  I think this one will be better for you as it rides the coast  further up on most models.

27 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Untitled.jpg

It may be a little overdone, but I’d say it is mostly real. Strong, deep NE flow for you is kind of a killer.

Archived