Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

Cobalt

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Interstate said:

Maybe I am looking at something wrong... but everything south and east of DC has temps in the mid 30's

Cant really rely on temps this far out. That is heavy precip in a rapidly intensifying storm. It would most likely be heavy wet snow IMO. IF the GFS is even right with the track at this point.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's sweet. Slightly southeast of where I would want it. Perfect for D.C.  Gfs still under doing precip on the west side with the system imo. Typical gfs problem. But it's still too far out to stress those kinds of details. This run is a win imo. 

Thought the same thing. But to get it in the optimal spot for us the cities might suffer. I will take what it has because we will make it up with our better ratio snows of 7-1 vs. the cities 5-1.

11 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Thought the same thing. But to get it in the optimal spot for us the cities might suffer. I will take what it has because we will make it up with our better ratio snows of 7-1 vs. the cities 5-1.

We're talking 50 miles so I don't care at this range. Plus I think it's vastly under doing the western side of the storm as usual. 

24 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That h5 pass is perfect for DC any further south and you risk a 2013 type issue. 

Based on a blend of all guidance, missing south seems lower on the list of things to worry about than too far north. I know you know this. GFS is either going to punch another win on the score card or it's an epic tease. 

Also completely agree about worrying about details on precip shield etc. We're so far away from having that discussion that I won't even partake. 

4 minutes ago, AfewUniversesBelowNormal said:

Not going to happen unless Pacific changes and Pacific is not going to change. This one is going way north folks 

If the euro is right yea... but you've been sure tomorrow's storm was going to be south and now the one that might go south you think is going north... What are you using to make these determinations?  The NAO index alone is NOT the only determinate of a low track.  Looking at indices does not tell the whole picture... its how all the specific factors and waves play together. 

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

If the euro is right yea... but you've been sure tomorrow's storm was going to be south and now the one that might go south you think is going north... What are you using to make these determinations?  The NAO index alone is NOT the only determinate of a low track.  Looking at indices does not tell the whole picture... its how all the specific factors and waves play together. 

This looks right to you? 

)).gif

You all describe the pattern general and direction and such like that is the issue, the issue is about 50-150 miles always

GEFS mean precip for the 6th-8th window is .8". Very tight cluster. I'm expecting at least a partial cave with the euro. Seeing the GFS hold a similar solution 4 runs in a row in the med range has been working out pretty much all winter. All the previous times were unfavorable for us but the GFS has lead the way enough this year to take it seriously. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived