joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Mid/Long Range Discussion 2

Cobalt

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

heh, GEFS is a SWEET run man...

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_us_25.png

Excellent run. Hive mentality but that's now 3/4 good runs using my super ensemble method. Plus it's the first time it made it onto an on hour run. That said the other guidance is being stubborn. U.K. Is a mess. But this feels like a gfs win coming imo. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Excellent run. Hive mentality but that's now 3/4 good runs using my super ensemble method. Plus it's the first time it made it onto an on hour run. That said the other guidance is being stubborn. U.K. Is a mess. But this feels like a gfs win coming imo. 

J(v)MA on board

jma_z500a_us_8.png

ETA: yesterday's run.... Maybe today is better. We'll know shortly. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GEFS mean precip for the 6th-8th window is .8". Very tight cluster. I'm expecting at least a partial cave with the euro. Seeing the GFS hold a similar solution 4 runs in a row in the med range has been working out pretty much all winter. All the previous times were unfavorable for us but the GFS has lead the way enough this year to take it seriously. 

Yeah but every time the Euro caved to the GFS it has sucker punched us. So I expect the opposite this time. Lol

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Most members pop to transfer over NC. That + the ULL pass = legit potential

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_us_23.png

Its been a while seeing potential like this, however, I refuse to get optimistic until I see the Euro cave .  

GEFS + Jama + GFS do have me looking forward to seeing how this plays out. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

This looks closer to the good analogs. Notice the ridging west of Alaska holds on better. We get one more threat after this day 9-12 then it's over once the epo ridge retrogrades too much and the Pacific goes to hell again. 

IMG_4341.thumb.PNG.1ae125198e7dd36fa4b89fca5b4f9b9b.PNG

Very true, and I recall reading about how we might get this look 3 weeks ago where the Pac might have a 7 to 12 day period where it becomes less hostile and we would even get some improvements that could favor East Coast storm generation off the Southest or Mid Atlantic areas.   Seems to match MJO phase 2 

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Is there truth to the idea thrown around by a few that the GFS family has been "schooling the other globals this season at this range"?

The GFS/GEFS has done pretty well in the med range with northern stream stuff but it's barfed at times like all other models. Seeing 4 runs in a row showing a very similar progression does lend some confidence in the idea but until the euro makes a move in the same direction I won't be sold on anything. The euro did excellent with the last snow event here. Pretty much schooled all guidance leading into that one. 

24 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Damn, 12z gefs is another straight weenie run. Upping the potential with the d10-12 period. Another splattering of big hits. 

Not shocked after seeing the h5 progression that's why I mentioned a second threat in my post above. If that day 5 look it right we do have a 5-7 day window and more then one threat. 

5 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Euro through 96 is still quite North of the GFS with H5 through SD compared to southern Nebraska on the GFS

120 has it in Southern Minn. compared to the GFS which is in cental Illinois.  Quite the battle at only 120 leads

Unfortunately the GEPS still doesn't like the event in 6 days.  It throws us a bone (one very nice bone), but other than that it's not good.  Mean H5 not nearly as nice as the GFS.

The good news is that it doesn't think the event in 6 days is our last chance.  It actually gives mby more snow after 180 hours than before.

1 minute ago, LP08 said:

120 has it in Southern Minn. compared to the GFS which is in cental Illinois.  Quite the battle at only 120 leads

No cave to the GFS coming this run. Euro is pretty steady with its own idea. Very different with heights over the top and handling the departing low. 12z isn't going to provide any confidence one way or the other it seems.  

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

No cave to the GFS coming this run. Euro is pretty steady with its own idea. Very different with heights over the top and handling the departing low. 12z isn't going to provide any confidence one way or the other it seems.  

Looks like it will end up pretty similar to Fridays event lol.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm actually going to retract some of this statement....Euro actually does trend towards the GFS @ h5. 

Just now, LP08 said:

Looks like it will end up pretty similar to Fridays event lol.

disappointing....the will be determined in the next 48-72 hours i think as thats where the GFS and ECMWF starts to go their seperate ways

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm actually going to retract some of this statement....Euro actually does trend towards the GFS @ h5. 

agree...if you compare the 00z euro and 12z euro...the 12z euro looks more like GFS than it did the 00z

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Bob, is so and if there is a potential of a continued trend at h5 towards the Jama and the GFS, would the EPS in a few hours indicate that better than the OP ? Thanks 

1 minute ago, Ji said:

disappointing....the will be determined in the next 48-72 hours i think as thats where the GFS and ECMWF starts to go their seperate ways

Ninja'd by Bob but, its closer to what the GFS shows so thats a win, albeit small.

1 minute ago, Ji said:

I'm not that disappointed honestly. 0z totally sucked. 12z closed off the ball but it's further north and too late. It was actually a trend towards the GFS just not getting the job done. 

0z is a disaster:

SD3SNDf.jpg

12z is better

aFxYRrC.jpg

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm not that disappointed honestly. 0z totally sucked. 12z closed off the ball but it's further north and too late. It was actually a trend towards the GFS just not getting the job done. 

0z is a disaster:

12z is better

yep...i just posted a map showing the GFS at 120 vs Euro at 144...and the ULL looks almost identical and in same place

2 minutes ago, frd said:

Bob, is so and if there is a potential of a continued trend at h5 towards the Jama and the GFS, would the EPS in a few hours indicate that better than the OP ? Thanks 

Although the run kinda sucked verbatim, I'm encouraged with the euro meeting in the middle with the 0z euro op and 12z gfs op. We have plenty of time so it's not like we need big things to happen right away. My guess is the EPS continues to make things very interesting. We'll know shortly. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived