Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-4th ... first -NAO anchored storm perhaps in years

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Could you post a quick annotation illustrating what exactly a full capture looks like? 

This is Dec '92 animation...note how the surface low is basically "stuck" to the ULL...and even late in the game when another one tries to form east, it gets "captured" again and gets sucked back into the ULL. That's what captured is...you have the sfc low almost totally stacked intot he upper low and when that occurs, you tend to get an extra stall in the movement....even on a more progressive system (Dec '92 clarly was not progressive at all)

Dec1992animation.gif

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently planning to leave SE NC by noon tomorrow...heading for Scituate Light...for coverage of the coastal flooding.   From there, I hope/anticipate to be documenting intense snowfall rates for Boston that evening (will adjust, if necessary).  At the current time, I'd place the probability of blizzard conditions verifying (3 consecutive hours of blizzard criteria) at KBOS at less than 50%, due mainly to the density of the dendrites at peak conditions.

It's the prospective devastating surge/tides, and their effects on the EMA coastline, that is enticing me to drive > 900 sm to document this event/storm...at greater than $1500 expense.  Simply share this as an example of my confidence in the monumental impacts that may occur with a 12z EURO/00z NAM blend.   

Damn missed a thriller of a 0z NAM run and related disco... 

Quickly browsed through. I like your first call map Ray.

For those of you not familiar, check out the maps for 3/31-4/1/97: http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/index.html

You don't need CIPS to see the remarkable similarities.

One important difference is our current system exits southeast a little faster... but that's as currently depicted. We almost invariably get last minute north ticks with these anomalously dynamic systems. I also think this could stall a little longer depending on how multiple low configuration plays out.

16 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is Dec '92 animation...note how the surface low is basically "stuck" to the ULL...and even late in the game when another one tries to form east, it gets "captured" again and gets sucked back into the ULL. That's what captured is...you have the sfc low almost totally stacked intot he upper low and when that occurs, you tend to get an extra stall in the movement....even on a more progressive system (Dec '92 clarly was not progressive at all)

Is the reverse correct as well, that surface lows also have a tugging or stalling effect on ULL movement? That seems to be happening in the Dec 92 example.

And in the current case, the ULL trajectory is southeast but then it seems to stall during the capture, then continues southeast.

(That also may be part of the difference from 4/97... the ULL then had more of an easterly trajectory vs. southeast now.)

12 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Is the reverse correct as well, that surface lows also have a tugging or stalling effect on ULL movement? That seems to be happening in the Dec 92 example.

And in the current case, the ULL trajectory is southeast but then it seems to stall during the capture, then continues southeast.

(That also may be part of the difference from 4/97... the ULL then had more of an easterly trajectory vs. southeast now.)

I would def like to see the ULL blow up a little on the northern side to prolong the precip. You're right about drifting more SE vs 97 and that could be important. 

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Well

Have any of the biggies had a ull moving Se

Mar 2013 did. Though that didn't have to fight through as much rain and mildness. But if you recall, that epic firehose in eastern MA slowly sunk south. 1992 drifted SE too but it had a nice long stall before it did...longer than this one will have. 

Hard to pin down the stall aspect yet...it is somewhat dependent too on how the vort maxes are rotating into the ULL. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Mar 2013 did. Though that didn't have to fight through as much rain and mildness. But if you recall, that epic firehose in eastern MA slowly sunk south. 1992 drifted SE too but it had a nice long stall before it did...longer than this one will have. 

Hard to pin down the stall aspect yet...it is somewhat dependent too on how the vort maxes are rotating into the ULL. 

March 2013 sort of screwed me relatively speaking bc of the south sink....I'm a little worried this will be a repeat.

I had like 14", as opposed to the 2' in the Boston area.

Archived