Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bonafide SWFE 2/7-8

weathafella

5 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Some of the jbenedet ball busting that went on today was over the top. He's an asset to this site. His posts are intellectually sound, well written, respectful and erudite. He never goes off topic with political rants nor does he intentionally needle posters like ginxie.

Agreed.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The euro is THE EURO, so of course that dented my confidence somewhat. It was a warmer look at hr 24, that then simply fell in line with 0z's outcome. I'm a bit skeptical of that. The euro -- like me -- is largely all alone, but on the other side of it; warmer versus colder respectively.

I want to hold out for the 18z mesos before signficnantly taking down confidence . I have a hunch that the 12z EPS will be slightly north/west of the op and that could represent another flag, that the op is too cold...

The 12z GEFS were also notably warmer than 6z.

Euro H5 look also continues to trend warmer, with higher heights over the West Atlantic and in SE Canada.

3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

What threads is he typically in?

Do you find that they make the cancellation decisions early?  I always get the sense a lot of them are game-time decisions.

He lurks in here. I would check today and tonight to see what the status is. It may not be a game time decision.

One issue the pope had is that what he was saying meant less snow, which has always a predictable reaction of disgust and one liners within 48 hrs to a storm.

Will actually backed up his difference of opinion on CAD w maps and meteorology and i know other mets disagreed basically that Dover nh would not rain, which seems obvious to many.

Now i wish we just had a map and we could see forecast totals that those arguing were predicting bc some people are closer in forecasts than discussion would lead you to believe. Also, i beleive he was just saying hey there may be more liquid SE of 495 (in mass)and near the coast in NH.(Thou dover isn't really on the coast

15 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Some of the jbenedet ball busting that went on today was over the top. He's an asset to this site. His posts are intellectually sound, well written, respectful and erudite. He never goes off topic with political rants nor does he intentionally needle posters like ginxie.

Over the top? LOL. We know he understands weather. Just simply giving the years of experience we've had with these events and knowing the climo around here. And most of us usually admit pretty quick if we were wrong.

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

One issue the pope had is that what he was saying meant less snow, which has always a predictable reaction of disgust and one liners within 48 hrs to a storm.

Will actually backed up his difference of opinion on CAD w maps and meteorology.

Now i wish we just had a map and we could see forecast totals that those arguing were predicting bc some people are closer in forecasts than discussion would lead you to believe. Also, i beleive he was just saying hey there may be more liquid SE of 495 (in mass)and near the coast in NH.

It was pretty much whether he would see rain and temps above 32. I think most of us agreed he would not go above 32. 

17 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Well, pig piles sometimes happen on forums.  Pope is pretty tough,  he goes toe to toe with the best of them in the PR forums.   That's where I got to know him and was happy when he moved to New England.

24 minutes ago, 25thamendmentfan said:

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

In Pope's defense even the Swiss tickled north, so other than euro...I would say there was a warmer tendency..esp just aloft. But I don't see this as an issue where he is or the interior when it comes to sniffing 32F. I think guidance is close to a track near or just south of BOS.

Well, we have the NAM coming out shortly to toss.  Unless of course it comes in colder in which case it's embraced and loved.  :)

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Well, pig piles sometimes happen on forums.  Pope is pretty tough,  he goes toe to toe with the best of them in the PR forums.   That's where I got to know him and was happy when he moved to New England.

Yeah Pope can handle himself fine...We bust balls with the pope pics...but the discussion never degrades into uncivil discourse. We talk in the econ thread all the time over at PR forum anyway.

There is probably some home turf bias going on too...we've been forecasting for New England for a long time and have seen time and time again how the models underestimate the CAD at the surface...so it's easy for us to just say "tossed" when the sfc low is being shoved over HubbDave's fanny. He's still relatively new in his location, so its understandable to be skeptical of all the tossing of model guidance and believe that the temps will go above freezing in Dover, NH...and maybe he will be right too. But looking at those maps and past experience tells me no way it happens. We will find out tomorrow...so we won't have to wait long.

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Snow, then Scalping enroute for a lot of folks methinks.  

BOX has upped their p n c for my hood for 6-10 then 1-3       10" looks to be the typical high end for these events.   

Sticking with my 6-9" idea overall

The Pope abides

We all know rarely do these go above 10".   IIRC I think December 2007 event dropped 14" in Greenfield. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

In Pope's defense even the Swiss tickled north, so other than euro...I would say there was a warmer tendency..esp just aloft. But I don't see this as an issue where he is or the interior when it comes to sniffing 32F. I think guidance is close to a track near or just south of BOS.

Just looking at the accumulated Snow qpf the Swiss looks close to the 12z Euro. A little more generous on the southern fringes. Brings the low near your head

oooh... k. 

i thought maybe this event needed someone who can walk on water to get it resolved into a cold outcome - ahhahaha

j/k... 

yeah, so, this is gonna be interesting little war-fare between the Euro and the NAM this close in.  smart money goes to the Euro of course... but everrrr so often there is that NAM whammy success story

Archived