Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Bonafide SWFE 2/7-8

weathafella

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wait, I've never seen that... the Kuchie snow maps are like nothing south of the Pike but the 10:1 maps have 3-6" south of the Pike. 

I've seen that. In borderline events, those differences comes out. It's like it treats borderline events as non accumulating mash potatoes.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wait, I've never seen that... the Kuchie snow maps are like nothing south of the Pike but the 10:1 maps have 3-6" south of the Pike. 

Kuchera does not like snow ratios with a temp in the column at or above freezing. Snow with a temp of 34F would give a ratio of 6:1. 

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Kuchera does not like snow ratios with a temp in the column at or above freezing. Snow with a temp of 34F would give a ratio of 6:1. 

Doesn't seem too unreasonable I guess... hard to say though as at that temp sometimes you're getting big aggregates that stack up.  I  mean 34F needles yeah, you're getting sometime a bit better than sleet.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Doesn't seem too unreasonable I guess... hard to say though as at that temp sometimes you're getting big aggregates that stack up.  I  mean 34F needles yeah, you're getting sometime a bit better than sleet.

Given the temp profiles. that's like 3-4 easily for BOS anyways. Very cold to start at 925 and even with east winds, that would hover like 31 at BOS for awhile. Not really a paste job. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Given the temp profiles. that's like 3-4 easily for BOS anyways. Very cold to start at 925 and even with east winds, that would hover like 31 at BOS for awhile. Not really a paste job. 

Yeah, I like on Wxbell it has a field for max H85-H7 temperatures... really useful in a SWFE like this.  Looks like on the Euro run the 0C or higher in that 850mb-700mb level gets to north of the Pike but south of RT 2 where it stalls out.  So RT 2 and north is all snow.  Like SWFE climo right there.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, I like on Wxbell it has a field for max H85-H7 temperatures... really useful in a SWFE like this.  Looks like on the Euro run the 0C or higher in that 850mb-700mb level gets to north of the Pike but south of RT 2 where it stalls out.  So RT 2 and north is all snow.  Like SWFE climo right there.

Pretty much. Might be a sneaky war tongue that sleets to SNH or so, but solid event rt 2 north...even to pike I think. 

Archived