Newest Member
    joxey
Bonafide SWFE 2/7-8

weathafella

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

12z Ukie looks way west. SLP tracks into NW CT/Western MA.

That would suck but I've been here 10 years and that would be a rare track.   Still, doesn't boost confidence to see the entire 12Z suite trend warmer.

Still think it's a good thump here. 

I have no interest in 3" then pl/fzra.  5"+ or bust. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

That would suck but I've been here 10 years and that would be a rare track.   Still, doesn't boost confidence to see the entire 12Z suite trend warmer.

Still think it's a good thump here. 

I have no interest in 3" then pl/fzra.  5"+ or bust. 

I'm not running with the 12z UKIE, don't get me wrong. I'm just pointing out that guidance trended warmer and west at 12z. 

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

This is a SWFE, not a triple phaser - you'd think the models would have a pretty good handle on this by now.....

They have the upper and midlevels down pretty well, but these sfc low tracks over the interior won't happen...bring down the surface temps too to the north of that front...you'll be wedged frozen still at 00z tomorrow. You prob flip to IP/ZR at some point but it's not warming above freezing.

well...  I'm on the fence.   

I still think the NAM's worthy of this pattern.. It's been pretty damn good right down to the nuanced level on the last couple of translations, however endemic to the pattern/circumstantially it may happen to situate with that model's particular biases and so forth. 

That said, there is argument to be made with 1  ... boundary layer cold  ... 2 models handling of the Ekman layer ... 3 model handling of ageostrophic 'sloshing' should poorly resolve meso lows that seem like a slam dunk in this flat wave scenario ... blah blah to anything I'm leaving out ... 

Summing all that up and dividing ...the cons and pros for cool(warm) solutions are about even money in my mind.  I'm looking at most guidance since 00z and they all put the transition/ptype pretty deep inland ... but, we ply experience to hedge our bets ...possibly because we "want" the cold solutions in part - can't remove the human condition entirely. 

Now cast is important in this thing. It is in all systems of course...but in particular, when a track of 30 mile variation means the difference between 8" of snow, .5" accretion and 33.1 "Ray"nfall ..well, it's obviously something to keep an eye on. 

yeah, ... eating the pistol tip ... I'd go 51% and lean colder. 

that lean doesn't mean Ansel Adams photo art necessarily... but I don't mess around with ageo flows and if given an excuse ... you need like (perhaps literally) order of magnitude LESS force in ageo to off-set llv WAA efforts... entirely. I swore I'd never be taken by willful punches into cold boundary layers EAST of the Berks again back in 1994 and frankly, that doctrine has save sanity on more occasions than not. 

So...seeing as we have a source and draining going on...  

Archived