Newest Member
    joxey
February Mid/Long Range Discussion

George BM

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

By the long range, it’s basically March and the party is pretty much over.

2014-15 basically didn't even start until 2/15 and ended up going down as a year to remember. For some fun reading, pull up the Feb 2015 long range thread for this exact period. It was as dire as it gets. lol. This year might go down in flames in comparison but we have 5 weeks to confirm it. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

2014-15 basically didn't even start until 2/15 and ended up going down as a year to remember. For some fun reading, pull up the Feb 2015 long range thread for this exact period. It was as dire as it gets. lol. This year might go down in flames in comparison but we have 5 weeks to confirm it. 

Amen. Every year some people act like they want to toss the last 1/3 of our winter in the trash just because they can sniff spring. 

25 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

By the long range, it’s basically March and the party is pretty much over.

Not even close. Only real thing that matters is sun angle, and that can easily be overcome.

On March 15th 2014 it was 70 degrees

On March 16th it was 50s

On March 17th we got 8-10" of snow

It only matters when it snows during the day, and temperatures are marginal. That's a concern any time it does that during the year.

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Amen. Every year some people act like they want to toss the last 1/3 of our winter in the trash just because they can sniff spring. 

EPS is actually picking up the # of members for a follow up wave between Thurs-Fri next week. Similar to what the Navgem does. Can't discount the possibility yet. The initial shortwave is pretty locked for rain but there's more than a subtle hint of a trailer. We'll see how it goes. 

Interesting 3-4 week outlook from CPC.  Coin flip as to what happens temperature wise but expected to be drier than normal. 

NWS CPC Week 3-4 Forecast Discussion Valid Sat Feb 17 2018-Fri Mar 02 2018 

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/WK34/

Given the stark discrepancy among dynamical model guidance that trends warmer and empirical guidance from the MJO suggesting a colder outlook focused over the Great Lakes, equal-chances of above- or below-normal temperatures are forecast from the Plains through the Northeast. 

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

How do you retrieve past threads?

13 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

The interest around D8 on the EPS def trended toward more ridging to our N with a CAD signal showing up.

00z Run:

eps_slp_m_conus_35.thumb.png.65fe514fa5f77b209da286e4ac396200.png

12z Run:

eps_slp_m_conus_33.thumb.png.75055ceb9824d9bd665e69c90e3afe16.png

Actually been looking at around day 8 or so as a possibility since the overnight runs. Couple of things I like about the setup knowing some of the bias' on the models at this time. But.... Day 8 and the models haven't been exactly stellar so I guess we will see.

9 minutes ago, wkd said:

Thanks

Start here for same time period. Lol. It's funny as heck. We are a broken record. When you get done laughing at us....skip to the next long range thread when it started breaking loose. The tone did a 180 and our shovels started wearing out.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/45469-february-mid-to-long-range-threats-discussion/?page=31

15 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Start here for same time period. Lol. It's funny as heck. We are a broken record. When you get done laughing at us....skip to the next long range thread when it started breaking loose. The tone did a 180 and our shovels started wearing out.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/45469-february-mid-to-long-range-threats-discussion/?page=31

Even more so for 2014 iirc.

eta: scratch that, 2014 was rocking! https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/42601-february-mediumlong-range-disco/?page=32

19 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Actually been looking at around day 8 or so as a possibility since the overnight runs. Couple of things I like about the setup knowing some of the bias' on the models at this time. But.... Day 8 and the models haven't been exactly stellar so I guess we will see.

Gefs has hp to our north as well. I can't recall a single time this winter where we had cold highs sliding across to our north all winter so I'll remain skeptical but it's on guidance and it's inside of 10 days. Worth watching. 

31 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gefs has hp to our north as well. I can't recall a single time this winter where we had cold highs sliding across to our north all winter so I'll remain skeptical but it's on guidance and it's inside of 10 days. Worth watching. 

An HP in the north that escapes the trap door? What does that look like? Lol 

31 minutes ago, Ji said:

isnt the trough axis way to east though...how is anything going to climb that?

Something would have to pinwheel and dig down the backside but with blocking and a 50/50 that can happen. Many of our snows 48 hours before have the lower heights to our northeast with nothing but ridging to our west. It's not ideal. The blocking there is a bit north of my liking but it's just building in there. If it drops some that becomes a very good look. But I'm not being overly picky about a day 16 prog. It's way closer to what we need then anything we've had so far. 

17 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Through 348 there isn’t 1 flake of snow on the op GFS.  Nothing.  That takes us to 17Feb.  It’s remarkable.  

I think the writing is on the wall for this winter

Im  not saying its' not going to snow again this season because I'm sure it will at some point but we are going to have to fight for every inch we get...lol

24 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Through 348 there isn’t 1 flake of snow on the op GFS.  Nothing.  That takes us to 17Feb.  It’s remarkable.  

As I and others have posted, the GFS/GEFS has been consistently advertising some nice h5 looks up top in the LR. Check out the end of the 0z GFS op run-

gfs_z500a_namer_53.thumb.png.c385e737089f9d0f2aa517b2071f8eea.png

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

As I and others have posted, the GFS/GEFS has been consistently advertising some nice h5 looks up top in the LR. Check out the end of the 0z GFS op run-

gfs_z500a_namer_53.thumb.png.c385e737089f9d0f2aa517b2071f8eea.png

I see it.  I’m just not ready to buy into it.  We will see if it holds that look for the next week or so.

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I see it.  I’m just not ready to buy into it.  We will see if it holds that look for the next week or so.

I get that. We have seen this act before, so it is hard to buy. That said, if we are going to have a shot at a nice run for the last few weeks of winter, getting a -NAO period may be the only ticket.

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I get that. We have seen this act before, so it is hard to buy. That said, if we are going to have a shot at a nice run for the last few weeks of winter, getting a -NAO period may be the only ticket.

To the end....Drago said that to Rocky in Rocky IV...I’m in.  It’s true...-NAO is the only thing that can save us.

2 hours ago, Interstate said:

I am intrigued by Wednesday storm.

Euro shifts initial storm Southward by about 100 miles. It's close, and I'm not sure how far South it can go. Certainly would take a whole lot of shifting to get close to any snow before abruptly changing to rain 

ecmwf_ptype_ma_19.thumb.png.7f0e53cdb78af17e22512a0635e99354.png

5 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Euro shifts initial storm Southward by about 100 miles. It's close, and I'm not sure how far South it can go. Certainly would take a whole lot of shifting to get close to any snow before abruptly changing to rain 

The Wed event is warm going in, so it's rain. Maybe a change to snow on the tail end. Based on the the last 2 events and our overall lack of success with cold chasing rain, I wouldn't count on it amounting to anything, but it looks like the cold gets is pretty quick so who knows. Odds are we end up with what usually happens- precip shuts off just as cold arrives.

6 hours ago, BristowWx said:

To the end....Drago said that to Rocky in Rocky IV...I’m in.  It’s true...-NAO is the only thing that can save us.

0z and 6z GEFS still trying to develop a NA block towards mid month. Last few runs of EPS have improved somewhat. 12z hinted at some +heights building over GL, but 0z took a step back. Still a ways to go to get to a decent looking pattern for the stretch run.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived