• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    snow01
    Newest Member
    snow01

1/16-1/17 Event OBS

Great storm!!  It definitely went above my expectations.  Especially what we were looking at on Monday afternoon.  I'm close to 6" in Apex and still have some light snow falling.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoolBreeze said:

7.5 " here too just south of Winston-Salem. Now snowing moderately again with largest flakes of the day. Probably won't add much to the total. Great storm, love over-achievers!

I think we might have one more good band coming through soon. Maybe we can get to 8"! :snowman:

Looks to my eye to be moderate snow right now with this dying band, hoping to squeeze out a .5" so I can hit 4" and be at the best storm snow wise since '14 here at my house.  Last year's was a sleet special here.

prolly 3 inches here.  About the average of what the models were looking at, so they nailed it in my area.  Would have loved to have gotten in that 5 inch range...but starting out as rain and then that lull mid day where moisture was making it to mecklenburg and then disappearing really hurt my totals

Measured 9" at 5 PM at multiple points in the backyard. Should be around 9.5" as it wraps up. What a storm!

In SE Durham near Mineral Springs Road

20180117_171358.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 miles WSW Winston

8:40 - 2.3"m, cleared board (b) 29/25 light

9:40 - 0.7"b - 3.0" measured (m) 28/25 light
10:40 - 0.5"b - 3.5"m 28/25 mod
11:40 - 0.8"b - 4.1"m 29/25 mod-hvy
12:40 - 1.0"b - 5.0"m 30/26 hvy
1:40 - 0.7"b - 5.5"m 29/26 mod
2:40 - 0.8"b - 6.2"m 27/24 mod
3:40 - 0.3"b - 6.5"m 25/22 flurries
4:40 - 0.1"b - 6.5"m 24/21 light
5:40 - 0.2"b - 6.6"m 23/19 light-mod

Measured values were on a dark colored picnic table. Totals are 7"-8" in the grass. It's still snowing lightly, pretty incredible event considering the duration. 
  • Like 1

Friend in Raleigh NC reporting 8'' inches... sadly it will melt fast since a thaw is forecasted to warm us up.

Here we got 2 inches in magnolia... only a dusting was forecasted

5 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Man it is really coming down!

really is. this storm is squeezing out every inch it can! and just to the west a nice band is setting up to move through for the next few hours 

• Like 1

Got around 6 inches here in NW Wake. Just took a walk w/ my fiancé to the gas station and it's blowing all over and still coming down nicely. Thinking we may make 6.5 or 7 by the time it ends later this evening. All in all, nothing beats a bowling ball cutoff low in the south. It's generally always a sure bet for a solid storm.

• Like 5

Whelp the deform band(s) just dried up before they could make it to the metro. Kind of a bummer based on how they looked earlier. I’ll still take my 4.5 and run though. 

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

backside rotation band is gonna be a nice happy ending for Triangle folks 

if we get decent rates on it i can see 8-9 inches for some locations in the triangle. maybe more in isolated spots

5 minutes ago, SnowDeac said:

Whelp the deform band(s) just dried up before they could make it to the metro. Kind of a bummer based on how they looked earlier. I’ll still take my 4.5 and run though. 

It's not a deformation band.

Measured 9" here near Southpoint. Radar says snow is winding down. Any additional we get from that dying band will be minimal, I suspect.

measurement1.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, FallsLake said:

Still pouring the snow. Man if we could just get another couple hours out of this band....I know I'm being greedy. 

LOL - if the snow shield hadn't locked down at the Wake/JoCo line for 4 hours, and if the first 90 minutes wasn't rain... ;)

• Sad 1