Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS still smokes us pretty good but honestly, I don't like that progression at all. It could work but it introduces a lot of all rain risk into the equation. 

With rain? That looks like an all rain or nearly all rain solution to me. I don’t buy the dusting on the backside.

Just now, Interstate said:

Keeps driving the heaviest snow west with each run... it has gone from central Frederick county to central Ohio in the last three runs

Yea, don't get me wrong... I do NOT like that type of progression at all. Let's get back to simple boundary/wave...lol. We have a week to go and have seen many storms trend flatter/weaker as leads close so maybe this goes the same way. Might be a good week to start drinking again. 

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

With rain? That looks like an all rain or nearly all rain solution to me. I don’t buy the dusting on the backside.

I can't recall a snow set-up for us where the LP goes west thru PA, Albany, to Maine where we had significant backside snow. WAR is flexing on the GFS....

Runs that get the final wave (which likely will be the most amplified one) south of us have a series of strung out waves along the front as it continues east. The new gfs and other runs that cut west have a lead weak wave then too much space allowing the trailing wave to begin to amplify way too soon. 

3 minutes ago, Interstate said:

So what we have so far is.

GFS - Super amped and cuts

CMC- Nice wave that runs the boundary

Euro- Frontal Passage with hardly nothing

Am I missing anything?

Yes, 85 ensemble members that show every combination in between and more. lol. Ops are only as good as a single ens member at this lead. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Runs that get the final wave (which likely will be the most amplified one) south of us have a series of strung out waves along the front as it continues east. The new gfs and other runs that cut west have a lead weak wave then too much space allowing the trailing wave to begin to amplify way too soon. 

Quoting for reference for when the models begin to sort this out. Rooting for the series of strung out wave scenarios to show an uptick on the various ensembles over the weekend.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yes, 85 ensemble members that show every combination in between and more. lol. Ops are only as good as a single ens member at this lead. 

yea, 5 days out, so can't expect much unity, but still nice to have some threats to track after one more welcomed nice weekend.

UKMET is pretty beast. I don't have access to the 500mb after 72 hours but at 72 hours, you can see a trailing northern stream vort that presumably produce some interaction with the departing low. Precip.

EDIT: This is last night's run but i'm stubbornly refusing to delete this. Baseline for today's run, I suppose.

iJww7fh.gif

11 minutes ago, Interstate said:

So what we have so far is.

GFS - Super amped and cuts

CMC- Nice wave that runs the boundary

Euro- Frontal Passage with hardly nothing

Am I missing anything?

Just now, Round Hill WX said:

Something to watch for...the GFS has been consistently over-amplifying in the medium-range, only to see it devolve into a shredded mess in the short-range. Here we are again with the GFS cranking a 970mb into Maine. I'm leaning less amped and more sheared until proven otherwise.

Yep great point.

2 minutes ago, Round Hill WX said:

Something to watch for...the GFS has been consistently over-amplifying in the medium-range, only to see it devolve into a shredded mess in the short-range. Here we are again with the GFS cranking a 970mb into Maine. I'm leaning less amped and more sheared until proven otherwise.

I was going to post the same thing. Most years we would want it south of us because of the dreaded north shift . But this year has been different.  It may not be a bad thing that it's amped 7 days out. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived