Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WxUSAF said:

GFS riding that IVT train to Valhalla. Congrats EZF.

Really starting to see guidance put at least some portion of our region in the crosshairs. They can be pretty fun but usually only for a select few. Maybe we can get the ole Rockville/Columbia death band going again. It's been a few years...lol

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Really starting to see guidance put at least some portion of our region in the crosshairs. They can be pretty fun but usually only for a select few. Maybe we can get the ole Rockville/Columbia death band going again. It's been a few years...lol

I would love that even though I’ll be suffering through 80F weather in LA:(

Honestly, it’s about time to...gulp...start a thread on it after the 12z runs.

Just now, WxUSAF said:

I would love that even though I’ll be suffering through 80F weather in LA:(

Honestly, it’s about time to...gulp...start a thread on it after the 12z runs.

Prob a bit early for a thread don't you think? Subtle features like this can vaporize in an instant. I would wait until 48 hours out but we've done crazier threads in the past so...

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Prob a bit early for a thread don't you think? Subtle features like this can vaporize in an instant. I would wait until 48 hours out but we've done crazier threads in the past so...

If it was the IVT alone I’d agree, but the coastal is getting close enough for shenanigans for the western folks at least. I’m happy to wait another 24hrs. Was just trying to deconflict the conversations about this event and next Friday-saturdays guaranteed 6”+.

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

If it was the IVT alone I’d agree, but the coastal is getting close enough for shenanigans for the western folks at least. I’m happy to wait another 24hrs. Was just trying to deconflict the conversations about this event and next Friday-saturdays guaranteed 6”+.

Good point. If the euro teases the western folks then it's time to go hog wild for 6 hours before our hopes and dreams begin to disintegrate. 

Just now, Interstate said:

Yeah but doesnt drop that much QPF after the change over

I don't look at this stuff verbatim. Just the trajectory and setup. It's a great look with cold pressing right over the top and a wave forming to our southwest. That's what we want to look for and not some n-s aligned strong front where precip runs a great risk of shutting off as the cold air gets here. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

yea, pretty much interchangeable for our purposes. I'm sure there's some technical difference that I don't understand but for how we look at things they are one in the same. 

Thanks. Wanted to be sure before posting this. For what it's worth, in case people want to read up on the phenomena, this is pretty good:

http://www.mattnoyes.net/new_england_weather/2011/01/exactly-what-is-a-norlun-trough-and-how-do-you-forecast-weather-associated-with-it.html

This has a good chance to be a good storm. Big block over the Arctic circle with 4-PV Split, One of which is diving into the US as a 980s mb low cuts through southern Canada. As heights come crashing down, low pressure relocates south, hitting what seems to be open gulf moisture stream(may verify drier as it gets closer)

image.gif

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

GFS still smokes us pretty good but honestly, I don't like that progression at all. It could work but it introduces a lot of all rain risk into the equation. 

Keeps driving the heaviest snow west with each run... it has gone from central Frederick county to central/north Ohio in the last three runs

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived