Newest Member
    joxey
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, yoda said:

I think the 12z JMA looks nice... 1009 SLP just SW of HSE at 72... 1039 H parked in Quebec... 850 0c line getting ready to cross into DCA

Using the thickness on WxBell suggests it shows like a 1-3" at least, assuming it flips sometime between 84-96. Could be more, the maps I see just kinda suck.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Using the thickness on WxBell suggests it shows like a 1-3" at least, assuming it flips sometime between 84-96. Could be more, the maps I see just kinda suck.

I think thats yesterdays run... when i go to check it on WB its date is 2018012512... which is 12z yesterday

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Wow GEFS actually shows several snowy hits from the coastal. Dicey temps as you can imagine but a few paste bombs for the NW crew while it rains on Wes and I bite my nails as I watch it from sunny SoCal.

The overnight EPS threw out 5 coastal solutions as well after being for the most part devoid of such solutions from earlier runs.

True Ji... but right now it looks to be JMA/UKMET/GEFS/NAVGEM giving us some nice goodies from a potential coastal on Monday into Monday night... GFS on Tuesday with the IVT

True, we may end up with nothing... but right now it certainly looks more interesting than it did 12-24 hours ago for us

11 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Euro has the trailing wave idea that the UK has but it’s rain for us. Interesting developments and definitely worth watching. 

850s are cold enough to support wintry precip, but surface temps are toasty at the mid-upper 30s

ecmwf_t850_washdc_15.thumb.png.7efd429121b0c3167434cf1527025393.png

ecmwf_t2m_washdc_15.thumb.png.e7263664f068b2c697020df7913857de.png

That 34 degree area near the bay is where precip is falling the heaviest, in which case it shows a mix of wintry precip. 

JMA is a hit. If you subtract the qpf from before 72 hours it still drops another .5 + after that should be snow. I'm mildly interested in the idea of another wave developing as the upper energy comes through. And if not just the IVT could luck us into something. Not down on long range either but the delicate interplay of all the waves on the front isn't going to be resolved from range. 

Just now, Interstate said:

That is for Monday-Tuesday... I was asking about Friday-Saturday

It has more cutters than not, but it also has 1 or 2 that slide South of us. With seasonal trends maybe the models continually weaken the event and not have a 990 low up in Maine. Hopefully...

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I don’t have precip panels, but the euro looks much more exciting for the 30th and still mostly flat for the 2/3rd event. 

It was closer to something but in the end didn't get the wave going enough. We get a flizzard basically but I'm curious to see if the EPS (like the gefs) includes some nice hits. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived