Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Nothing wrong with the discussion in my opinion.  It wasn't a model thread.

I think we've had a break thru. The averages are wrong, as PSU pointed out. 17-23 inches of snowfall is not average for DC. 14 inches or perhaps less.

Now we can move forward with setting better expectations on our winters here. But I think maybe the NWS should seriously consider revising the averages. It would lead to less confusion and better ideas of what is normal.

I have a source inside Burger King here in DC. If I can score you about a dozen free Whopper coupons, would you throw your computer in the trash?  

1 hour ago, mappy said:

that's a nice analogy, waterboy. a little long, but nice none the less. 

ji will be ji and eventually someone will step up and start removing his posts. 

It is funny how his posts have been tolerated since Eastern. It would be a completely different experience on here without his epic rants :). Someone mentioned the ignore feature yesterday in one of the threads. It really is a life saver on this board. And if you put someone on ignore you can still click on their post if you want to read it. 

The sensitivity here is off the charts. I literally haven't posted in 2 weeks basically and I make like a couple of posts in a thread about climo and you'd have thought ww3 started.

I just won't post at all anymore. That should make you all happy. The culture here has become ridiculous. This use to be the place where people would try to top each other on how crafty they could get about complaining about lack of snow.

1 minute ago, Mdecoy said:

The sensitivity here is off the charts. I literally haven't posted in 2 weeks basically and I make like a couple of posts in a thread about climo and you'd have thought ww3 started.

I just won't post at all anymore. That should make you all happy. The culture here has become ridiculous. This use to be the place where people would try to top each other on how crafty they could get about complaining about lack of snow.

you are welcome to post as much as you want, but at least make them accurate posts. 

youre 18" climo measurement is wrong

therefore the rest of your ranting is wrong and off base

try again. 

I know how you feel. 

I will have your coupons forthwith.  What’s your address? 

8 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

Nothing wrong with the discussion in my opinion.  It wasn't a model thread.

I think we've had a break thru. The averages are wrong, as PSU pointed out. 17-23 inches of snowfall is not average for DC. 14 inches or perhaps less.

Now we can move forward with setting better expectations on our winters here. But I think maybe the NWS should seriously consider revising the averages. It would lead to less confusion and better ideas of what is normal.

The averages arent wrong YOU are... no one told you DC averages 17-23" of snow.  That map is very old.  And you can't apply the snowfall from one location to another.  DC is a snowhole at sea level on a river south of DC proper.  Its a local minimum.  Most of the rest of the area gets more.  IAD and BWI average around 20".  But their numbers are better then DCA almost every year.    But you were quoting DC averages and snowfall totals so those were the ones you used.  If you want to have a similar debate using IAD or BWI we can do that but its not apples to apples.  But those locations had more snow then DCA in all those years you used to it still doesnt help your argument.  The bottom line is your unhappy with what are normal and even good snowfall years around here and you call then awful and crap and adjectives and pajoratives that should be reserved for years like 1998, 2002, 2008, 2012, 2013 and 2017, the 6 years in the last 30 when DC finished below 5".  Those are crap years.  A winter where DC gets between 6-14" isnt a crap year, its what happens over 70% of the time, in other words that is NORMAL.  

6 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I have a source inside Burger King here in DC. If I can score you about a dozen free Whopper coupons, would you throw your computer in the trash?  

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I will have your coupons forthwith.  What’s your address? 

That was post of the year stuff right there... seriously LOL.  He will be sorely missed!

Just now, Ji said:

i have thought about all the things we talked about yesterday and i have decided that I will continue to be very negative till we have something positive to talk abou

I feel like you at least realize that our snow climo means you will be unhappy 75-80% of the time wrt snow. Others seem to be in denial. 

Sorta weather related question....My house sits up against a small treeline of very tall/mature trees.  Just before that line, the builder planted a few dogwood or sugartree type trees that have not survived.  Maybe 4 of them died (one was ran into by a landscaper or kid it looks like, and the others just maybe under watered or not enough sun.  The county recently cut down some of the mature trees, so there is more light.

Either way, I was thinking of planting some evergreen trees as replacement.  They are far apart from reach other.  Suggestions? 

Lastly, my co-worker said now is the time to plant them while still dormant season.  Is that true for our area?  I always figured march/april would be more appropriate?  Am I wrong here?

I feel like you at least realize that our snow climo means you will be unhappy 75-80% of the time wrt snow. Others seem to be in denial. 
I wasn't as bitter last year because we were in a shutout pattern and I wasn't wasting time and getting sleep

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived