Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's a pretty deep PV anomaly skirting the northern Gulf of Mexico.

Some serious subsidence behind it, even at the highest level WV product. And the ozone products confirm there is a little stratospheric air in there. 

How would the PV (polar vortex?) anomaly affect our low in the Bahamas?

1 hour ago, sbos_wx said:

Hmm, there's a couple different ones to choose from. I'd defer to some of our South Shore posters but closest to Boston is Nantasket/Hull

Anywhere along Atlantic Ave or Nantasket Blvd. In Hull. If you can get to end of Forest Ave in Cohasset to Black Rock Beach that will be an impressive scene but parking there is problematic. 

3 minutes ago, WaPo said:

How would the PV (polar vortex?) anomaly affect our low in the Bahamas?

Potential vorticity.

It will act to induce cyclonic circulation on the mid levels. At the same time convection developing off Florida will create a low level PV anomaly that will induce further cyclonic circulation in the mid levels. When these two sync up is when this low is going to really start to strengthen.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Potential vorticity.

It will act to induce cyclonic circulation on the mid levels. At the same time convection developing off Florida will create a low level PV anomaly that will induce further cyclonic circulation in the mid levels. When these two sync up is when this low is going to really start to strengthen.

Gotcha. So, the PV could make the low strengthen faster and further to the west than what the globals have predicted; giving the storm more time to deepen, and more of an opportunity for it to phase in with the GL Kicker?

While ordinarily I'd be focused on the op runs at this point, with systems that have been steadily shfiting, I think it's helpful to put more weight on the ensmebles than might otherwise be the case.  As such, the GEFS look clustered west of the mean which would suggest to me that the trend is not yet done.  I'm not sure how the spread on the EPS looked.

Either way, lol at the NAM.

Archived