Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 4-6 Coastal Bomb

Baroclinic Zone

Just now, OceanStWx said:

The deformation axis on this Euro run is pretty tasty. It's just about maxed from MTP to MLT at 18z Thursday.

Cold side of the axis within the best f-gen says congrats dendrite of course. That's a healthy shift west in the forcing from 12z.

Was just thinking that based on the H5-H7 look. 

Can't be too much of a QPF queen here because that's not an awful look for us here in Death Valley. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Banding there is more low level convergence imo...mid level death band is west.

Yeah the 700 is over ORH to CON back into CT...though the forcing to the east is hellecious...you get some higher stakes out west...could end up under a delicious band but you might miss it and suck on exhaust and fight some drier intrusion from NW ageostrophic flow.

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Was just thinking that based on the H5-H7 look. 

Can't be too much of a QPF queen here because that's not an awful look for us here in Death Valley. 

Thought so.

It's one of the better banding signatures I've seen from the coarse as hell 80 km NWS bootleg Euro.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the 700 is over ORH to CON back into CT...though the forcing to the east is hellecious...you get some higher stakes out west...could end up under a delicious band but you might miss it and suck on exhaust and fight some drier intrusion from NW ageostrophic flow.

Thanks...half asleep, so though I may have missed something.

Shouldn't be too muh exhaust each of H7, no?

Thanks...half asleep, so though I may have missed something.

Shouldn't be too muh exhaust each of H7, no?

Eh, it depends...there was def exhaust west of the ORH band in 2015. It doesn't mean you get a boxing day type disaster, because we aren't anywhere near a dryslot like in that 2010 storm...but it can give you some local minima.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wouldn't take it verbatim, but the 3km NAM shows a double barrel band with some exhaust in between (actually screws PWM a little). I would say that it's a real threat given a hi-res model showing that solution.

One of the old rules of thumb for snowfall forecasting was the heavy snow axis will generally be along the -5C isotherm. Which in the case of the Euro runs along the NNE coast and then down the 495 corridor. 

Another rule of thumb is just north of the last closed 700 mb height contour. That supports a band of heavy snow farther west than the 850 -5C. But in the same general area.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

One of the old rules of thumb for snowfall forecasting was the heavy snow axis will generally be along the -5C isotherm. Which in the case of the Euro runs along the NNE coast and then down the 495 corridor. 

Another rule of thumb is just north of the last closed 700 mb height contour. That supports a band of heavy snow farther west than the 850 -5C. But in the same general area.

I mean, I'd say Ray probably expects worst if 495 is hugging 5c, even I stay right around there at Logan

Posted this on Mid-Atl first, but of general interest so ...

This is about to explode, current analysis would suggest main low is forming southeast of Miami FL and arctic wave is (can't believe I am typing this) in the northeast Gulf of Mexico, snow is about to break out between TLH and GNV.

Upper support is massing over AL-wGA, and it's probably going to run right up the coast to Hatteras, try to hang a left, then lurch east-north-east, but not in time to spoil your (Mid-Atl) potential snowfall event.

First call 

1-3" DCA-IAD

3-5" BWI

8-15" Delmarva

14-22" se VA

2-5" e PA and most of NJ

4-7" NYC

8-15" w LI to w/c CT to w MA

15-30" e LI, most of s NE, VT-NH

20-40" Maine, NB

10-15" w NS

(my track is based on a blend of Euro, NAM and RGEM and I expect a central pressure of 953 mbs just south of 40/70)

80 mph gusts over much of se MA will lead to considerable damage and storm surges

Heavier snow than most are expecting over VT and upstate NY as Lakes low is pulled into circulation and there may be heavy lake effect from Lake Champlain for BTV

I also suspect some wild variations locally due to deformation band, subsidence effects, but think most will be inside the 12 to 35 inch outcome spectrum, outer Cape and islands 5-12" due to some mixing

Wicked !

(Not really a first call for most of the above, this is what I was thinking 3-4 days ago)

5 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Posted this on Mid-Atl first, but of general interest so ...

This is about to explode, current analysis would suggest main low is forming southeast of Miami FL and arctic wave is (can't believe I am typing this) in the northeast Gulf of Mexico, snow is about to break out between TLH and GNV.

Upper support is massing over AL-wGA, and it's probably going to run right up the coast to Hatteras, try to hang a left, then lurch east-north-east, but not in time to spoil your (Mid-Atl) potential snowfall event.

First call 

1-3" DCA-IAD

3-5" BWI

8-15" Delmarva

14-22" se VA

2-5" e PA and most of NJ

4-7" NYC

8-15" w LI to w/c CT to w MA

15-30" e LI, most of s NE, VT-NH

20-40" Maine, NB

10-15" w NS

(my track is based on a blend of Euro, NAM and RGEM and I expect a central pressure of 953 mbs just south of 40/70)

80 mph gusts over much of se MA will lead to considerable damage and storm surges

Heavier snow than most are expecting over VT and upstate NY as Lakes low is pulled into circulation and there may be heavy lake effect from Lake Champlain for BTV

I also suspect some wild variations locally due to deformation band, subsidence effects, but think most will be inside the 12 to 35 inch outcome spectrum, outer Cape and islands 5-12" due to some mixing

Wicked !

(Not really a first call for most of the above, this is what I was thinking 3-4 days ago)

I am in Rochester. Looking at euro and hammers roc area with half inch qpf. With lake snow. I been here all my life and this stuff is 25 to 30 to 1 Ratios. Plus is giving wind gust to 45mph

This storm has extremely high bust potential on many fronts, reminding me of the many snow events of the 1980s which most of you are too young to remember. Three in particular come to mind. January 1987. February 1987. February 1989. All three events trended farther east. Lots of busted forecasts. This was back when tv news was king and local tv anchors and mets were huge stars.

February 1987 spared most of New England but slammed cape cod with one of its worst blizzards on record. 1989 spared most of the eastern seaboard despite initial, ominous warnings. Huge model failure.

Archived