Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Just the nature of the beast Mitch. With their latitude they do both complicated and simple setups well. Late blooming and early developing storms as well. Here in the Mid-Atlantic we need simple and we need well timed to produce. He!!, my dog farts and NE gets a foot of snow whereas all I get for my troubles is a stench filled house.

5C641D72-B0BA-4D48-9E4A-4F909EE07D59.jpeg

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, looks better. Also looks like a straight blizzard in parts of the NE. 

Based on reading other sources as well,  it would appear possible we could still get significant impacts as the players are very dynamic,  and its going to be very difficult to model this correctly. 

One thing, it's a going to be a powerful system with very cold air to work with against a very warm Atlantic , maybe get feedback and push the boundary West in time .  

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

That's actually not too bad a look at 500's. Just misses for us but just north of us probably gets slammed. A little quicker with the trough and we are in the game I would think.

Without precip panels I can't tell how well developed the storm is off of OBX. A lot more amp @ 96 than the GFS:

GZ_D5_PN_096_0000.gif

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I could see some snow making it back here (or at least the delmarva) on this panel:

GZ_D5_PN_120_0000.gif

There continue to be runs like that ukmet there that have that double low structure. That's the old miller a that runs OTS and a new low more tucked in with the better upper level support is. The best chance we have, and I still think it's a crazy long shot, is if somehow over time it trends towards that tucked in low being the dominant feature. Either run the initial wave way out and bomb the secondary behind it or hold up the primary and capture it. The trend back to a more west digging northern stream trough puts that back on the table I guess (still not buying it). 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There continue to be runs like that ukmet there that have that double low structure. That's the old miller a that runs OTS and a new low more tucked in with the better upper level support is. The best chance we have, and I still think it's a crazy long shot, is if somehow over time it trends towards that tucked in low being the dominant feature. Either run the initial wave way out and bomb the secondary behind it or hold up the primary and capture it. The trend back to a more west digging northern stream trough puts that back on the table I guess (still not buying it). 

Yea, you can look at that scenario a couple ways...pessimists will say "boxing day redux" and optimists will say "no two storms are alike and the more chances we get the better odds we have". I'll stick with wait and see and remain (like you) skeptical. 

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, you can look at that scenario a couple ways...pessimists will say "boxing day redux" and optimists will say "no two storms are alike and the more chances we get the better odds we have". I'll stick with wait and see and remain (like you) skeptical. 

Although I mentioned Boxing Day because there are definitely similarities wrt who got snow then and who's proged now to get it, that was a completely different setup if memory serves.  The positive is that there really is plenty of time for the models to come further west. That's all we can ask for at this point. Heck, there's so much time that if the models showed us with a hit today, the thought of holding that solution for 5 days would be mind numbing. 

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Although I mentioned Boxing Day because there are definitely similarities wrt who got snow then and who's proged now to get it, that was a completely different setup if memory serves.  The positive is that there really is plenty of time for the models to come further west. That's all we can ask for at this point. Heck, there's so much time that if the models showed us with a hit today, the thought of holding that solution for 5 days would be mind numbing. 

I like your thinking.  I like where we are right now. Being in the bull's eye 5 days out never ends well

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

CMC very close. Dusting on the delmarva/obx, decent event in NYC, and you already know what happens to SNE

It's a monster for Boston. Yikes. Trying not to think about Boxing Day, but those scars run deep. 

Just now, mitchnick said:

If you it starting at 102 hrs, tge precip field goes right around us. Now that DOES look like Boxing Day.

Yea, we need a mature storm south of our latitude. Imagine if models show a timed bomb right off the coast over the next couple days. Screw that up by 4 hours and it ruins our lives. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

In some ways I wish models would just leave well enough alone. If we're out then just leave us out. Stringing us along for another couple days before pulling it again would do nothing for me except make me want to break stuff. 

I can't agree more. I hate getting sucked back in just for another slap in the face.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived