Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years 2018 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

3 minutes ago, Amped said:

999mb seems pretty weak. GFS is 20mb deeper at that latitude

Seems like potentially a good thing. If a 999mb low can be that far West, hopefully we can get a strong low like the GFS was showing

GEFS farther West with precip mean too. My guess is that it has 1 big member that shows a big snow 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of the gfs showing a -ao/nao combo. I'll say this...we got a lot of strong +ao/nao looks not too long ago from ops and ens. That has mostly evaporated. At least with the AO. Wouldn't it be something if there is no real relax before we transition back to "normal" cold with a -ao....

This panel is the end but plenty panels before showing ridging all over up there. Epo kinda folds over again and then it all fills in.

gfs_z500a_nhem_53.png

25 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Man, gefs looking really sweet d9-12. Don't have the memebers yet but I already know there's a jump in snow solutions. This a nice run across the board. 

I'm gonna lol if our real wintery period ends up being everyone's "flip to warm". I keep thinking most of the Nina winters that had a hard flip to warm did it by now. The ones that had cold this far in ended to linger cold a while if not the rest of winter. Even 2011 the cold lasted most of Jan then returned at times in feb. I'm sure at some point we get a few warm days and it can't be this cold for long but to don't see any big warm torch pattern coming. Every time it shows it gets pushed back then muted on guidance. Opposite of what we're used too lately. 

4 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Euro is West as of hr 120 compared to 12z. Snow  sprouting in extreme East N Carolina

Bring it home brotha...

Seriously tho...it is west and may scrape eastern areas this run. Somewhat interesting at the surface...havent looked at h5

Eta: congrats OBX

9 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Bring it home brotha...

Seriously tho...it is west and may scrape eastern areas this run. Somewhat interesting at the surface...havent looked at h5

Looking like it's gonna crush NE on this run. So close to a hit for DC

Edit: it didn't crush NE, but it's close to a good storm, and not a fish storm. 

That depiction is too reminiscent of A Boxing Day 2010 type nightmare (no thanks).   Either come much further west or stay the hell out to sea, Lol.

MDstorm

I completely agree with you. I wouldn't be too mad if Boston got a decent storm and not us, but when Philly and NYC get 6"+ and we get nothing, that's the worst type of storm. Still plenty of time to trend West

17 minutes ago, Ji said:

The West side of precip is pretty wide. We don't need it to shift that far west for a little action 

At hour 108 we have a nice surface low popping over the Bahamas. If that could take shape just about 150 miles to the west in the gulf... We'd be straight money. Thunderstorms over Western Florida.. that typically equals good Miller a track for us. 

3 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Euro has D9/10 storm well to our North. I'm honestly happy with this look since we now know models will eventually show less amped storm systems, and hopefully this is the case. Hopefully

ecmwf_ptype_conus2_40.thumb.png.b6cdc8949db788cb45f56343031b3574.png

This is not true. We could easily slip in to a warming period where the storm track sets up to our west. You cannot base a 10 day forecast on the back end of an epic cold spell

At some point it has to warm up. 10 days from now would be late IMHO

I'm gonna lol if our real wintery period ends up being everyone's "flip to warm". I keep thinking most of the Nina winters that had a hard flip to warm did it by now. The ones that had cold this far in ended to linger cold a while if not the rest of winter. Even 2011 the cold lasted most of Jan then returned at times in feb. I'm sure at some point we get a few warm days and it can't be this cold for long but to don't see any big warm torch pattern coming. Every time it shows it gets pushed back then muted on guidance. Opposite of what we're used too lately. 

And in 95-96 our really good relatively consistent stuff didnt start until Jan 6. Iirc December wasnt off the charts in terms of snowfall. It became super active early Jan and there were plenty of transient moderations as well. We wont touch that years snowfall probably.....that was an anomaly, but my point is we may just be entering a period of cold and active storminess where as psu alluded to many Ninas already have us flipped. This can be done. Patience.  

GEFS mean is a heck of a strong lp signal and that cluster nearer the coast is a much better look. Still need that Southern vort to slow down post 84 hours but up until then the trends look nice. I guess we could get grazed if it runs out ahead but it pulls the entire pendulum East before snapping back into New England. 5ba9e9e8ddddcf5cd6f24c4eb26a42b4.jpg530ba59cad3286549c88d0033818d92c.jpg

Like some on these boards I had pretty much written off the possible storm for this coming Thursday. Just a very complicated setup with timing issues galore and we don't do complicated well here in the Mid-Atlantic. But after seeing the overnight run of the Euro op I may have to rethink my position because there may still be some Woof left in this old dog. Though this year has been rough with op runs outside of 2/3 days I still begin placing more weight on what the op runs show (especially the Euro) within 5 days, of which we are now at with this possible storm. And what I saw with the overnight run has peaked my interest to say the least. 

Below we have the 12 Z run of the Euro. Notice the separation between A and B. This look is probably a swing and a miss on any possible phasing, with the southern energy moving out ahead of the NS taking the storm OTS with it. Notice one other feature on the top of the map, C. This is more NS energy beginning to sneak onto the map and it is following in the wake of B but there is a good deal of separation between it and B.

12Z500mbvort.thumb.gif.88968b3e115549d75f8b22b320d8051e.gif

Now we have the overnight run timed to the 12Z run above. Notice where A and B are now. This looks to be a phase about ready to happen as we see B beginning to drop down behind A. Now notice where C is now located compared to the previous map. It is now running on the coattails of B.

00Z500mbvort.thumb.gif.b5b478cbfe5296d19184f8ac4906c222.gif

This is 12 hours later from the 12Z run posted above. Notice that we have a swing and a miss with a possible phase A and B as A runs out ahead taking the storm with it OTS. C on this map is sitting this one out.

5a476ca046dff_12Z500mbvort12hrlater.thumb.gif.254cfab37a82f1a92e9e422c2fe7e4d4.gif

This is 12 hours later from the 00Z run posted above. We are now seeing a phase of A and B in the deep south. Though the phase results in a closer approach of our coastal storm it is still a little to late in regards to our region. Also look at C. It is right on the doorstep of dropping down behind the A+B phase but is just a little too late to join the party as A+B escape to the east.

5a476c9ad217f_00Z500mbvort12hrlater.thumb.gif.594dd24fad6245cc0de692c7f1c899f4.gif

Now for those that don't realize it, the map directly above was just 6-12 hours too late for a big ticket item for our region. In two areas no less. First off, if we see a 6-12 hour quicker phase of A+B we see a farther north solution with that feature which then puts C into play for phasing, Which probably results with a triple phase running up the coast as A+B is not able to escape to the east. Or even if we see C come in 6-12 hours quicker we see that phase with A+B again bringing a triple phased system up the coast, though it would probably be a little farther to the east then the first scenario would be.

Now for those who will argue, 'well this is just one run of an op and the ops haven't been too reliable this winter', I agree with you. But from what I have been seeing over the last few runs of the Euro I actually think we may be in play here especially if the trends continue. Looking over the last few runs everything has been trending positively for getting a storm to impact our region on Thursday, possibly even a big ticket item. The overall trough setup has improved and simplified somewhat where we don't have to jump through hoops to get this to work. We are now seeing a legit and distinct 50/50 showing up creating backing helping to push this storm closer to the coast. The southern stream has trended northward allowing the NS energy the better ability to phase. The NS energy (B) has been coming in quicker, deeper and more westerly. And now we are seeing more NS energy (C) now entering the picture as a potential player in the mix.

Now as we all well know by now, especially this winter, this all could be gone by the next run. Would not be surprising and probably somewhat expected. But from what I have seen over the last few runs, don't be surprised if we start getting some killer solutions from the Euro/EPS suite if these trends continue. If we can get this look inside of day 3 I think we would be very much in the game.

eta: Forgot to mention. Though I didn't look overly hard into the overnight GFS I did notice we were seeing much of the same trends.

Gonna be tough to score a classic DC-Boston storm here, but the trend is good so far. If we can get an equally far West trend on the 12z, we're in business. e15 is the stuff of dreams

Never say never to the possibility. GEFS continue to hint at getting some well timed Atl help and is actually closer to connecting the EPO ridge and the rising NAO ridge at 0z-12z Thurday.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived