Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 11 Week Event(s)

mitchnick

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

We are awfully jittery when it snows for being a snow town.  

we're a snowtown, but very fringe. i think the northern burbs are like another climate zone compared to the city.  

1/20/16 definitely stuck to the roads and had some decent flake size for a bit (have that one in my archives). i'd be ok with a repeat of that.

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Chase said:

But was it modeled properly? It was just overlooked, if I recall. 

It was modeled correctly for the most part but it snowed heavier than expected. Instead of being an inconsequential dusting to half inch, the snow piled up quick on the roads and traffic turned it to ice. If the same amount of snow fell over 3 hours it wouldn't have been a big deal. 

58 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

0z meso's like my yard. I'm until the gfs takes it away. 

It is an interesting event. Development overhead is tricky. Eastern shore folks might have another shot of shovelable snow. I'll be skeptical until it's happening. West of 95 isn't the place to be on this one. 

It rarely is.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

0z meso's like my yard. I'm until the gfs takes it away. 

It is an interesting event. Development overhead is tricky. Eastern shore folks might have another shot of shovelable snow. I'll be skeptical until it's happening. West of 95 isn't the place to be on this one. 

I'm west of 95, I will enjoy my clouds. Everyone east and south of I 95, enjoy the snow event!

Not going to break it down but the overnight runs for the most part improved in regards to this afternoon/night coastal. Though the changes were small, considering we are this close in, we did see a general theme of a little deeper dig from the NS, better interaction between the NS and SS, and better lifting of the front side trough allowing for closer coastal development as well as a better ability for intensification. Again this is just generally speaking because not all the models shared all these characteristics.

Barring any major changes this looks to mostly impact 95 and east, if not mostly the eastern shore and north. Some top Mets raised concerns about the lack of lift and moisture through the snow growth region which is a valid concern. But if we see the low develop as currently projected I would think worst case is a brief period of light showers initially with a fairly quick switch over as the low develops and provides the lift needed. At this point it looks as if a general 1-2 inches with possible lollys of 3 inches east of the bay would be a good call. I will say though that it wouldn't take much in the way of changes upstairs (500mb) to make this a somewhat moderate event (3-6") for the eastern shore and pull somewhat meaningful snow west of the cities (inch or two). Conversely some slight changes in the wrong direction and everything goes to crap.

Quick comment on the 06z NAMs that just came out. Both stepped back on the surface reflection which somewhat surprised me because I thought there was some improvements seen at 500 mb. Would not be surprised if we see them ramp up on the 12Z run if they keep the 500's looking somewhat the same. I will mention that some of the biggest changes seen run to run at 500 mb have been coming from the NAMs so keep that in mind.

The latest from LWX:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
314 AM EST Fri Dec 15 2017

District of Columbia-Frederick MD-Carroll-Northern Baltimore-
Southern Baltimore-Prince Georges-Anne Arundel-
Northwest Montgomery-Central and Southeast Montgomery-
Northwest Howard-Central and Southeast Howard-Northwest Harford-
Southeast Harford-Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
7 PM EST THIS EVENING...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Plan on slippery road conditions,
  including during the evening commute. Total snow accumulations
  of one to two inches are expected.

* WHERE...Metro Baltimore and the District of Columbia, including
  its northern and eastern suburbs.

* WHEN...From 1 PM this afternoon to 7 PM EST this evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Light snow will increase across the
  advisory area Friday afternoon, with conditions turning icy on
  any untreated road surfaces.

2 minutes ago, arlwx said:

The latest from LWX:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC

District of Columbia-Frederick MD-Carroll-Northern Baltimore-
Southern Baltimore-Prince Georges-Anne Arundel-
Northwest Montgomery-Central and Southeast Montgomery-
Northwest Howard-Central and Southeast Howard-Northwest Harford-
Southeast Harford-Arlington/Falls Church/Alexandria-

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO
7 PM EST THIS EVENING...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Plan on slippery road conditions,
  including during the evening commute. Total snow accumulations
  of one to two inches are expected.

* WHERE...Metro Baltimore and the District of Columbia, including
  its northern and eastern suburbs.

* WHEN...From 1 PM this afternoon to 7 PM EST this evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Light snow will increase across the
  advisory area Friday afternoon, with conditions turning icy on
  any untreated road surfaces.

Bullish call. I like. Best I see at this point is maybe an inch into cities. But seeing that they are throwing Howard, Carroll and Fredrick into the mix is nice to see.

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

They obviously prepared it before the Gfs came out. Lol

:) Yeah, the 500's back slid a touch on the run.

With just small differences between snow and no snow for our region this will probably come down to a now cast situation where we wait to see where the low develops and how quickly it intensifies. I could easily see getting a couple of inches into the cities but conversely I can see us being left out in the cold. Will be fun watching how things develop over the next 6-12 hours.

36 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Bullish call. I like. Best I see at this point is maybe an inch into cities. But seeing that they are throwing Howard, Carroll and Fredrick into the mix is nice to see.

They've done very well so far this year with their snow forecast accuracy this year.  I'm hoping that continues today!

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Saw that ...lol. NWS calling for 1-2" this far west really surprised me....I expect flurries at most but pulling for there call no doubt . Your area I bet sees a nice burst of mod to heavy snow . Deck pics please:snowing:

Be interesting to see how fast this comes together. Lots of radar watching lol. My gut says there is going to be a pretty confined area of "significant" snow(1"+). I think Dover NE into coastal Jersey is the place to be.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Be interesting to see how fast this comes together. Lots of radar watching lol. My gut says there is going to be a pretty confined area of "significant" snow(1"+). I think Dover NE into coastal Jersey is the place to be.

They are the new N&W. OC has done better then me for 2 years.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

If I wasn't already pretty sure I was out of the game for this afternoon/evening I would swear that a storm was incoming. The feel outside is one of a storm inbound and the the tell tale stench of the paper mill 15 miles southeast is periodically wafting in. 

We get that stench here too.

3 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

They kinda had to because of the potential societal impact. Tough, tough call for the local OpMets today. This is why they get paid the big bucks and regularly get all that honor, glory and public adulation. 

Pressure falls to the west are interesting. I’ll be looking there for the next few hours. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived