joxey
December 8/9th Storm - STORM MODE THREAD

stormtracker

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, WhiteoutMD said:

Looking at Annaoplis the snow totals maps decreased some today overall Bummer

Not really. Precip gradient seems out of wack here. General precip moved NW, but the 0.4-0.5" precip gradient isn't that big. That won't happen during the storm, because bands will make the gradient very big. 

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but weather.us has a nice tool for anyone who wants to know what the Euro is saying for their backyard.  You can enter your neighborhood and it will give you a meteogram showing the snow depth predicted by both the Euro Op and the EPS.  (We're a little close in to be using the EPS, but that should be useful for future events.)  Below is the output for Towson.  Next update should be around 3:30.

https://weather.us/forecast/4371582-towson/ensemble/euro/snow

aqCiYta.png

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Ukie is still the top end of the blend. One more op to go before full lock in mode. 

so let's ponder while we have the time

if Euro comes in at .2", do we throw the rest of the models away?

if Euro comes in at .75", do we toss the consensus (Ukie being close to that)?

Just now, mitchnick said:

so let's ponder while we have the time

if Euro comes in at .2", do we throw the rest of the models away?

if Euro comes in at .75", do we toss the consensus (Ukie being close to that)?

I don't think we'll be pondering anything honestly. I expect the euro to come in right in between everything else. 

19 minutes ago, cae said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but weather.us has a nice tool for anyone who wants to know what the Euro is saying for their backyard.  You can enter your neighborhood and it will give you a meteogram showing the snow depth predicted by both the Euro Op and the EPS.  (We're a little close in to be using the EPS, but that should be useful for future events.)  Below is the output for Towson.  Next update should be around 3:30.

https://weather.us/forecast/4371582-towson/ensemble/euro/snow

aqCiYta.png

This is awesome. Thanks!

Just now, mitchnick said:

me too, but I was just wondering what others thought since it is an outlier on occasion

We're about 12 hours from onset and the event is an established moisture hose getting ready to take aim on us. There's no complicated phase/redevelopment/1-2 punch or all the other things that cause us problems at short leads. This one is pretty straightforward and I'd be shocked if the euro comes out with a groundbreaking run (one way or the other). 

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

me too, but I was just wondering what others thought since it is an outlier on occasion

I think we'd go with consensus. In late March of 2016 the Euro showed a pretty large costal for us (3-6" when accounting for melting) while all others showed out to sea. The consensus was out to sea, and the Euro changed with about 36-48 hours before the storm. Either way we go with consensus

1 minute ago, StormchaserChuck said:

snow band is coastal low centered, like classic noreasters. extent from the low is organized so as to almost be circular. This is why I say it's weird that there isn't more precip. 

I think we're still battling subsidence from the GL low, but that's just a guess.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived