joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS weather this fine evening! Refreshing temperatures are filtering in from the north tonight, allowing for refreshing, leisurely jebwalks. That breeze makes it even better, this is one of the finest early winter evenings so far this season! It's 23/7. This is spectacular jebwalk weather!

3 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Making Senate Bean Soup today nd baking cookies.  One sure fire way to keep the house warm.

Okay, you had me intrigued when you mentioned "Senate" Bean Soup. I am a big soup eater and make soup a lot! I never heard of it before. Looked it up and thought, I just call that "Navy Bean Soup". Then I saw it, the mash potatoes in it. Never thought of doing that, but it sounds yummy!! Going to have to try that this weekend. Will be very comforting on a cold winters night and will make the house smell so good!!

12 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Just out of curiosity, what are some quick things that I could do to avoid that?

Burn dry hardwood, and burn it hot. Use an efficient wood stove with secondary burn. When I burn wood I rarely see any smoke emitted from my chimney. If you have been burning green wood in the past, clean out your flue/liner, and thereafter only burn seasoned hard wood.

20 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Just out of curiosity, what are some quick things that I could do to avoid that?

To add to what C.A.P.E. said, if you use your fireplace a lot, or have an older home,  be sure to have in inspected and cleaned.  Chimney fires are often caused from cracked flue liners that allow crap to seep out of the flue and into the space between the flue and the brick. Eventually the heat builds up or cinders light it on fire. Or, if you don't get it cleaned often enough,  the build up in the chimney flue itself will ignite. 

33 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Burn dry hardwood, and burn it hot. Use an efficient wood stove with secondary burn. When I burn wood I rarely see any smoke emitted from my chimney. If you have been burning green wood in the past, clean out your flue/liner, and thereafter only burn seasoned hard wood.

What stove do you have? I have the RSF Focus 320, its a zero clearance built into our family room wall. This is the second season and been very happy with the heat. We had to cut down some big trees to build our place so I have tons of firewood to use :). How often do you get the chimney swept? 

19F outside, a toasty 72F inside.

1 hour ago, mdhokie said:

What stove do you have? I have the RSF Focus 320, its a zero clearance built into our family room wall. This is the second season and been very happy with the heat. We had to cut down some big trees to build our place so I have tons of firewood to use :). How often do you get the chimney swept? 

19F outside, a toasty 72F inside.

I have a Regency insert. Have had it for 12 years and love it. I have never had the chimney swept. (I would have to pull the stove out to get to the debris). The thing is, I know there is no issue because of how clean it burns. And I have only ever burned seasoned hardwood, which burns hot and complete with literally no creosote. 

Currently 19 outside and 75 inside. Heat pump hasn't run for hours lol.

eta- I did have it inspected 5 or 6 years ago, and there were no issues with the flue or creosote build up.

Its a beautiful breezy night out, a cool 17 degrees with a nice comfy -3 dewpoint. Northerly breeze occasionally kicks up to 17 mph. Ground is starting to freeze. Ponds starting to ice up. Someone dropped a bag of ice at the local 7-11, ice is all over the lot, it never melted lol. Prince William County is in full cover your ass mode, roads heavily brined. I savored a shweet leisurely 2 hour jebwalk, I cant understand why I see some folks running from their car to the store? If they think this is cold......

4 hours ago, ATreglown said:

Okay, you had me intrigued when you mentioned "Senate" Bean Soup. I am a big soup eater and make soup a lot! I never heard of it before. Looked it up and thought, I just call that "Navy Bean Soup". Then I saw it, the mash potatoes in it. Never thought of doing that, but it sounds yummy!! Going to have to try that this weekend. Will be very comforting on a cold winters night and will make the house smell so good!!

https://www.senate.gov/reference/reference_item/bean_soup.htm

Just came back from yet another refreshing jebwalk!!!

It is nice out there tonight! It is 12 degrees with a -4 degree dewpoint. That wind is northerly, gusting at times to near 20mph.

This is some of the best jebwalking weather I have personally experienced in recent times!

We might fall into the upper single digits.

2 hours ago, evaporativecooler said:

Got to -7F at Gaudineer Knob WV according to my car thermometer before I had to pack up my stuff and call it quits at around 10pm. In retrospect not the nicest night for camping, but I did just get a 0F sleeping bag that I wanted to test. Safe to say it doesn't work very well below zero. 

From my experience camping a lot in the winter, that zero-rated bag is probably good to about 15 degrees.  An insulated sleeping bag liner, or better yet a vapor barrier liner, can compensate for at least half of the difference.  The rest you have to make up with good ground insulation and the clothing you wear to bed.

I'm jealous of your evening.  Bet the skies were awesome out there last night !

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived