Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Early Winter Banter, Observations & General Discussion 2017

powderfreak

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

LOL, look at BTV. Imagine going through that pass at Jspin's place. From shawls and scarfs in Waterbury, to Jimmet Buffet playing as you role down the top of your Saab...arms flapping in the breeze just a few miles later.

Yeah, I was going to comment on the change today – driving home from Burlington after work, the temperature dropped 15 F in probably 20 minutes of travel from the edge of the Champlain Valley to Waterbury.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, I was going to comment on the change today – driving home from Burlington after work, the temperature dropped 15 F in probably 20 minutes of travel from the edge of the Champlain Valley to Waterbury.

I noticed the same last night from my work in Andover to BOS. Frosty car in Andover to 51 near the city. 

Keep that rain SE of here please. I have concrete posts curing. I can handle the precip with the fropa.

Looks like another person was shot by a hunter...this time a woman while riding her bike. These guys really need to watch what they're shooting at. They fire at anything that moves.

Just now, dendrite said:

Keep that rain SE of here please. I have concrete posts curing. I can handle the precip with the fropa.

Looks like another person was shot by a hunter...this time a woman while riding her bike. These guys really need to watch what they're shooting at. They fire at anything that moves.

Ride free or die?

25 minutes ago, dendrite said:

totally agree on the bolded, the responsibility lies with the hunter.

with that said, if you are anywhere in the woods this time of year, you need to be wearing blaze orange. 

On 11/21/2017 at 8:12 AM, CoastalWx said:

LOL, "covering an entire city instead of half of it." What the hell does that even mean? These people who know nothing about operational meteorology are studying computer models, taking it 100% and then throwing out this stuff. Go back and read the tree rings. I believe in AGW, but some of this stuff doesn't even make sense meteorologically.

It's odd what people will do just to get clicks for their pages.  
Tree rings and dead sea scrolls.

Wow,  I have not been paying attention to you guys down south.  Mid 30's up here with light rain and a snow sky that will not produce anything, maybe a mangled flake later? while down there its tropical..

Hunters all over the hood getting their deer.  Hate it as I'm a relocated Boston Metro guy that loves seeing the wildlife.  There is one huge buck that keeps running through our fields.  Hunters are salivating to get him.  I keep yelling out to him to stay on our 15 acres until Dec 6th but I don't think they understand English too well.

Happy T day to all...

17 hours ago, dryslot said:

I use to like hunting back in the 70's on Great Northern's land as they would attach these yellow patches of fabric that said "Feel it stretch" on there trees to show diameter growth................lol

When we lived in Gardiner, I tracked bi-weekly growth on a half dozen white pines, bushy yard trees.  The midsummer drought ion 1995 brought their growth to a total halt from late July thru August, then some early Sept rains allowed a modest re-spurt.  Though my comment about drought vs temp effects on tree growth was based mainly on what I learned at U.Maine, it's been augmented by those Gardiner pines, and a larger sample on the state lot on Pleasant Point in Topsham - once a year there.  Currently I'm doing the same at my present home for 10 trees of 8 different species.  The fir and pine, with leaves in place, make their best growth in late May-early June, the 8 deciduous trees grow fastest 2-4 weeks later.  In 5 years, the 21" red oak has put on 2.5" and the 11" basswood over 3" (and the 8" hophornbeam less than 1/2".)

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Unfortunately, there are some who fit that description.  It's a tiny minority, but it only takes one to cause a tragedy.  Maine had a non-hunter fatality in Hebron (10 miles NW of LEW) earlier this month, a lady in her own yard/woodlot - have not read anything about what she was wearing, but last I read, the hunter was being charged under the "identify your target" law.  Put in place 25+ years back, it puts the burden of proof for target ID on the shooter rather than on the victim, or on the state attorney should criminal charges be brought.  It was Maine's 1st fatal hunting accident in 4 years, and IIRC the first non-hunter fatal since the infamous Karen Woods tragedy in Hermon (town west of BGR) in 1988.   It's certainly no comfort to victims' families, but before jumping on the pile one should contrast the dangers from 150,000+ hunters (about the Maine cohort) compared to injuries/fatalities from ATVs/snowmobiles/boating.

Hunters all over the hood getting their deer.  Hate it as I'm a relocated Boston Metro guy that loves seeing the wildlife. 

I'm blessed to have added 60 lb of low fat organic meat to my freezer last week.  More to the point, from about your (and my) location south, where deer-restrictive snowpack rarely lasts long enough to cause serious winter kill, deer can and often do become so populous that their herbivory results in tremendous ecosystem damage.  As one example, the 2 million acres managed by the PA Bureau of Forestry nearly flunked their forest sustainability audit because deer were eating nearly all tree regeneration.  Given the absence of large predators and the social implications of trying to bring them back (our cats, dogs, and goats - or worse - would be a lot easier prey), some sort of population control is necessary.  In some mid-Atlantic municipal/state parks, the managers think of deer as "hooved locusts."

Archived