• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid-Atlantic winter 2017-18 snowfall contest

PrinceFrederickWx

It's time for my 3rd annual Mid-Atlantic snowfall contest! Everyone is encouraged to play- including lurkers, new members and people outside the region!

You are forecasting the total snowfall for the entire season (NOT just Dec/Jan/Feb) for the four major airports: BWI, DCA, IAD and RIC. Snowfall totals should be rounded to the nearest tenth of an inch. The tiebreaker this year will the total snowfall NWS records at Salisbury Airport (SBY). While this is not an "official" climo location, NWS does keep records on it and I thought it would be fun to involve the Eastern Shore people more in the contest.

Please use the following format when posting your forecast:

BWI:
DCA:
IAD:
RIC:

Tiebreaker (SBY):

The winner will be the person who has the lowest combined absolute value departure for all four airports. (A second post will explain this in more detail, for anyone who needs clarification.)

The deadline for entries is Thursday, Nov. 30 at 11:59pm. No extensions will be given, so please have your forecasts in by then! You are welcome to edit your forecasts as many times as you want until the deadline. If there's any accumulating snow before the deadline, please include that in your forecast as well.

The winner will be announced sometime in mid/late April. I'll be giving periodic updates as to who's leading throughout the winter when I have time. If you have any questions, feel free to post here or PM me.

Good luck everyone!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*This post is just to clarify how the totals are calculated, since there's been some confusion on it in the past.*

The winner is the person who has the lowest combined absolute value departure for all for airports. This means the departures will be calculated for each individual airport, the absolute value of each one of those will be taken, and then all four totals will be added. This format rewards players who had more skill in forecasting individual airports rather than someone who was only correct at the total level because incorrect forecasts cancelled each other out.

For example, if you forecasted:

BWI: 0"

DCA: 0"

IAD: 0"

RIC: 10"

The actual seasonal totals were:

BWI: 2.5"

DCA: 2.5"

IAD: 2.5"

RIC: 2.5"

Your absolute value departures would be:

BWI: 2.5

DCA: 2.5

IAD: 2.5

RIC: 7.5

Your total departure would be 15 (not zero!)

BWI: 44

DCA: 26 (anywhere outside the immediate airport vicinity, 34"+)

IAD: 41

RIC: 13

SBY: 16

Westminster/HGR: 55 and 50, respectively

Thinking we (BWI) hit the jackpot with a NESIS level 3/4, plus a 6-10er and a couple 2-4s. 

On 11/1/2017 at 1:46 PM, Eskimo Joe said:

Can we add HGR as a site as well to give the hill folk some love?  

As far as I can tell, LWX only collects temp and liquid precip measurements at HGR, not snowfall.

If that data is out there somewhere and I'm not aware of it, let me know and I'll consider adding HGR as a tiebreaker next year.

Archived