Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I wouldn't say scary. It may be just a very strong storm with only some tree damage if everything does not come together right.  But someone is going to get a good wind event for sure. 

I guess the anomalous nature of this event is intriguing on a number of levels, but as someone who lives in a area that is prone to high winds from events like these, I'm rooting for the least impactful wind outcome.  I'm all set for 50ft pines falling near/on my house or losing power for an extended period of time which seems possible with this event here.  But like Tip said, its really like a drug induced high seeking the most extreme outcomes--same with Canes, Tors, Severe, etc.  Its the nature of the weather weenie, so i get it. 

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

12Z GFS is on drugs.  Brings 93L up as a 963mb low near the benchmark tomorrow night.  Then on the next panel its totally gone, puff and everything is centered around the primary 968mb low to the NW.  

Gene, I don’t see that.  On my service it’s a wound up low rolling up the HRV.

12Z GFS is on drugs.  Brings 93L up as a 963mb low near the benchmark tomorrow night.  Then on the next panel its totally gone, puff and everything is centered around the primary 968mb low to the NW.  

So why can't that happen?

Deep deep lows; really impressive at this time of year. Probably near record territory.

There is a bit of an inversion so it's possible strongest winds don't get mixed down. Also, with that tropical so close...it may not fully realize the potential. IOW, lots of 40-55mph stuff, but not the 60+, unless that gets involved more.  BUFKIT actually giving strongest gusts Monday during CAA.  I thought the GFS was a bit stronger on the coast. It literally is only 1-3 hrs of the strongest winds. It's flying.

Believe it or not ... this really isn't a terrible Sandy analog ...just far less than ideally so -

You have a deep trough and a tropical entity sort of getting caught up in it - that alone speaks volumes.  But what specifically happens may obviously not be anything like Sandy.  That's the less than ideal comparison aspect.  NAO's different too -

The NAM appears to try and 'hook' the remnant tropical entity into CT

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

parts or most of CT will dryslot, looks that way at h7. I would not forecast more than a quick 1-2” with isolated higher amounts obv. Highest winds look to be out east with the LLJ. Not saying this is meh for everyone but here, it doesnt look that anomalous.

Watch for some training bands of heavy rain during the day prior to the big slug. Some of the high res stuff is showing that. 

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I guess the anomalous nature of this event is intriguing on a number of levels, but as someone who lives in a area that is prone to high winds from events like these, I'm rooting for the least impactful wind outcome.  I'm all set for 50ft pines falling near/on my house or losing power for an extended period of time which seems possible with this event here.  But like Tip said, its really like a drug induced high seeking the most extreme outcomes--same with Canes, Tors, Severe, etc.  Its the nature of the weather weenie, so i get it. 

I still think you may be one of the windiest spots in your SE downslope zone.  You guys get 60mph gusts out of run of the mill winter events with that wind direction.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

So why can't that happen?

TT,  What I found strange with the 12Z GFS and the 963mb tropical feature is that at  6Z Monday AM its 963mb around the BM.  Then 6 hours later no trace.  Even if it got absorbed into the main low coming up the HV the isobars are smooth to the east of New England.  Wouldn't there be some semblance of a weakness as a 963mb low gets yanked NW?  The next panel is like what tropical low?   Maybe this is so dynamic that pressure can fill in and smooth so rapidly.  Also if the tropical low was down to 963mb wouldn't that energy really deepen the primary on the next panel?   These are probably questions I could answer myself if I didn't wimp out and decide not to become a Met!

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Was checking out the reanalysis for Nov 50. That brought many sites 80-100mph+ gusts including a measured 110mph at CON. That ripped an 80-90kt H85 jet right back to ART-MSS. The NAM is bringing the 80-85kt @ H85 back to about CON/LCI. H95 winds get up to about 30-40kt and by daybreak Monday that level is almost near the sfc across the foothills.

Now that is anomalous. 

Archived