Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

So for this last storm I looked foolish telling the locals up here to expect 30-50mph wind gusts.  We had a few hours of strong south winds with some gusts into the mid to maybe high 30's but my fears of power losses sure never happened.   I wonder if this storm will produce?  Guess we will have to see if that Euro Hudson Valley storm track holds.  That run of the other night's Euro with that 963mb low over Portland was nuts.  Put that thing running up the HV and we would be in trouble.  At least the leaves are now 75% down up here.  High winds are more exciting than a few inches of rain...

There are subtle differences between the two events. I'll try to point those out with these two graphics (both GFS forecasts for PWM).

2017-10-28_0-33-08.png.bd19d698a34cf4d222102b394e5bfde7.png

2017-10-28_0-33-39.png.8b6e5bf2bcaf411303a9aa3706cbbf7d.png

The second forecast sounding is the upcoming storm. Notice two things: the winds are on the whole 20-30 knots stronger in the lower levels (highest wind speed below 900 mb was 34 knots in the first example, 60 knots in the second example), and the lapse rates in the boundary layer are steeper in the upcoming storm as well. Some of that may be due to the wind direction. We had SSW winds in the last event, which would typically advect warmer air north, creating a neutrally buoyant or slightly inverted boundary layer. The upcoming storm is more of an easterly component and looks much more well mixed (especially for 2 AM).

2 hours ago, CT Rain said:

OKX has a few more forecasters than any of the other WFOs I believe.

I'm still salty after that horrific missed severe event from them in August in New London. 

Yeah they are staffed up fairly well.

I'm getting salty with this upcoming event. For a region (New England) that vowed to start with a multi-model blend and make science based adjustments when we see targets of opportunity, there sure is a lot of rip and reading going on. Until Sipprell got the ball rolling tonight, I've seen next to no discussion on this storm in our internal chat. 

For starters, we know that our multi-model blend due to timing differences will have artificially lower wind speeds (blending averaging out the max winds). How I could walk in to PWM at 19G29 is mind blowing. 

I like how the EPS is ticking up, up, and away with the wind gusts at PWM.

The last few mean gusts I can remember have gone from 54 to 58 to 64 mph. 

The 90/10 numbers have also narrowed 75-56 mph (max/min 79/47 mph). So we're starting to get a pretty well defined range of wind gusts according to the EPS. In essence, the ceiling remains unchanged, but the floor has come up significantly since yesterday. 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

- HIGH WIND WATCH Sunday night into Monday, 50-70 mph gusts
 - STORM WATCH Sunday night, 45 to 60 kts

..it's time for the pessimists on here to pay attention. All that's left is Will's blessing

I think for big wind gusts you're going to want to be in one of these places (and in this order for likelihood):

Coast (especially eastern)

Downslope regions of the Whites and Greens

Hilltops

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

I think for big wind gusts you're going to want to be in one of these places (and in this order for likelihood):

Coast (especially eastern)

Downslope regions of the Whites and Greens

Hilltops

lol if that's the case, then this pretty much rules out 95% of SNE from seeing anything out of the ordinary.  

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

What would you define as big?

60+

There is certainly potential for somebody with the aid of convection to pull off a hurricane force gust, but that's probably going to be confined to coastal areas. The nested NAM is showing a good burst of convection on the nose of the LLJ kind of from RI north and eastward to coastal ME, that could be the stuff to watch.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

60+

There is certainly potential for somebody with the aid of convection to pull off a hurricane force gust, but that's probably going to be confined to coastal areas. The nested NAM is showing a good burst of convection on the nose of the LLJ kind of from RI north and eastward to coastal ME, that could be the stuff to watch.

Well I think the Euro has the right idea but is prob 5-10 mph too high .

I’m donning Margusity’s Big Daddy hat

DTLoDF7.jpg

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'd be pretty impressed if most of SNE pulled off a wind advisory from SE gales. More typically we do that on NW or CAA type winds. 

I don't know about what others think, but a wind advisory isn't anything to write home about..pretty mundane imo.  So if this goes there...then this won't be anything to impressive for most inland peeps.  

But we will see how it all plays out...it'll have a few surprises for sure.. good or bad, all the decent storms do.  

Thanks for the insight.  

Archived