Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Well I think the Euro has the right idea but is prob 5-10 mph too high .

I’m donning Margusity’s Big Daddy hat

Those weenie gust maps are banana-land. 75-80 mph gusts on SE winds in CT would be pretty extraordinary. 

My guess is a good chunk of the SE BOX CWA up to Cape Ann gets a HWW later today, and interior gets an advisory. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WinterWolf said:

I don't know about what others think, but a wind advisory isn't anything to write home about..pretty mundane imo.  So if this goes there...then this won't be anything to impressive for list inland peeps.  

But we will see how it all plays out...it'll have a few surprises for sure.. good or bad, all the decent storms do.  

Thanks for the insight.  

Well we have probably watered down wind advisories too. Gusts 46-57 and you'll take notice, but they are often issued for gusts 35-40 mph too. That certainly takes the shine off that headline.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Those weenie gust maps are banana-land. 75-80 mph gusts on SE winds in CT would be pretty extraordinary. 

My guess is a good chunk of the SE BOX CWA up to Cape Ann gets a HWW later today, and interior gets an advisory. 

I’ve seen many sou’easters over the years give us gusts 65-70mph. Particularly we had several of them back in the early and mid 90’s. This just seems like an extraordinary situation and I’d bet all the BOX area goes HWW.. particularly with saturated ground and many trees still with leaves . 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Well we have probably watered down wind advisories too. Gusts 46-57 and you'll take notice, but they are often issued for gusts 35-40 mph too. That certainly takes the shine off that headline.

Yes, gusts 46-57 and that will certainly get ones attention!

but the 35-40 is run of the mill, and not impressive at all.  When I think of wind advisory..I think of the 35-40mph idea.  

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

but the 35-40 is run of the mill, and not impressive at all.  When I think of wind advisory..I think of the 35-40mph idea.  

I'm anticipating winds akin to big winter CAA situations in GC, and we have the stick-season appeal to boot.

Meanwhile, this is the first time I've seen flakes in the forecast for the Tug.

possible.
Tuesday
Rain and snow, becoming all rain after 9am. High near 46. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Tuesday Night
Rain showers likely before midnight, then rain and snow showers likely between midnight and 4am, then snow showers likely after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Wednesday
A chance of snow showers before 9am, then a chance of rain and snow showers between 9am and 10am, then a

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve seen many sou’easters over the years give us gusts 65-70mph. Particularly we had several of them back in the early and mid 90’s. This just seems like an extraordinary situation and I’d bet all the BOX area goes HWW.. particularly with saturated ground and many trees still with leaves . 

It's telling you have to go back 20 years to dig up a SE gale like that. And I would like some Tree House when BOX doesn't go HWW everywhere.

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

That's the problem with us issuing so many sub-advisory advisories. Technically the product is for 46-57 mph gusts, or sustained 31-39 mph.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

It's telling you have to go back 20 years to dig up a SE gale like that. And I would like some Tree House when BOX doesn't go HWW everywhere.

Notice I said early mid 90’s. Before your time. We had them and they performed and were nothing like this extreme situation .

It will depend who is on the desk at BOX. If it’s who was on yesterday we’ll be lucky to have advisories issued. If it’s others that have been around and have a clue.. it’ll be HWW

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Notice I said early mid 90’s. Before your time. We had them and they performed and were nothing like this extreme situation .

It will depend who is on the desk at BOX. If it’s who was on yesterday we’ll be lucky to have advisories issued. If it’s others that have been around and have a clue.. it’ll be HWW

Wet ground, bring 'em down.

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Is this just anecdotal? I'm not sure we've had a bunch of 50-60 knot S/SE winds in the early 90s. 

P&C MEH

Sunday
Showers likely, mainly after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 68. Southeast wind 8 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Sunday Night
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Low around 55. Breezy, with a southeast wind 14 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.
Monday
Showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 59. West wind 13 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Archived