Newest Member
    joxey
Sunday's Screaming Southeaster

CT Rain

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

To get 5-6”, you need the train arriving early sunday, as Ryan alluded to. This is hawling arse, don’t see those amounts of the east side unless said train tracks setup early. 

What do PWATs look like? Also, we got most of our 4-5" in about 2-3 hours the other day.

if not physically measurable ... holistically this whole scenario seems to be evolving as though it is both a captured 'Cane, and a cyclone-season coastal bomb ...simultaneously.  It's riding the edge between both worlds.  Fascinating...  It'll be interesting when this is going on/post-mortem to observe the phase diagrams -

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

What is the leaf status down there?  Mostly bare up here now in Central New England.  Are the forests still mostly in full leaf?  That makes a big difference in possible damage!

Lots of full leaf trees. Also 5" of rain here a couple days ago. 

this storm has two main facet concerns:

-- hydro

-- wind

the former may be mitigated some by translation speed. however, I caution that.  i've seen heavier fall rates in thunderstorms exceed 2" in a single hour, and given the PWAT foisted up the coast and the eccentrically unique mechanics in play with this thing, i don't think the fact that it's over in 12 hours is much of a limiting fact for rapid responder water systems/climo areas for flooding.  despite the antecedent dryness ...the last system 2-5" basin wide refit sort of primed the wick.

as to the wind. this last system was perhaps 1/2 total mechanical in power, and we generate 40 mph wind gusts for several hours when the lower pressure left the region and the restoring came in a whoosh.  Point being, I'm wondering what happens when this bag of meso lows and hybrid nuclei finally coalesce into the 970 mb range and escapes so quickly N of the region, that back side really looks just about as uniquely designed for an isallobaric wind burst as there could be imaginably set up. ...I bet the products that model that specific sort of thing are only ho-hum, too. heh

3 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

What is the leaf status down there?  Mostly bare up here now in Central New England.  Are the forests still mostly in full leaf?  That makes a big difference in possible damage!

It's varies from 50% bare here in Enfield to green trees around Hartford. Surprisingly it's rather bare closer to the CT coast. I drove down to Haddam this morning and it's was about 75% bare.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Red flag?

Possibly.  I know that PWATS like sort of indicate how much rain could fall if all the moisture in the air was like produced as rain (or something like that) but I don't have a great knowledge of them.  I'm not sure if they would really be a great indicator in a setup like this b/c of the fast nature of the system and how there is going to be extreme lift and moisture transport from the insane LLJ and really rich theta-e values.  I'm doing a blog post (just focusing on CT) and I'm mentioning like 1-3'' of rain with maybe some isolated higher amounts depending on if we do dry slot.  

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Possibly.  I know that PWATS like sort of indicate how much rain could fall if all the moisture in the air was like produced as rain (or something like that) but I don't have a great knowledge of them.  I'm not sure if they would really be a great indicator in a setup like this b/c of the fast nature of the system and how there is going to be extreme lift and moisture transport from the insane LLJ and really rich theta-e values.  I'm doing a blog post (just focusing on CT) and I'm mentioning like 1-3'' of rain with maybe some isolated higher amounts depending on if we do dry slot.  

Thats my thoughts wrt rain amounts as well. Have less strong thoughts about the wind though. 

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thats my thoughts wrt rain amounts as well. Have less strong thoughts about the wind though. 

I'm going with 25-35 mph gusts with isolated 40 mph gusts and 35-45 mph gusts across SE CT with potential for 55 mph gusts.  I think Monday we see widespread 45-55 mph gusts

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That's the problem ... 1.5" is a huge number when so much mass is pumping continuously into the system... 

If it rained out 1.5" and left the column devoid of moisture; that's not what/why PWAT means.  Jamming additional 1.5" into the columns as it is raining, the x-coordinate becomes important... that becomes many 1.5's.  I am not sure any amount of convection can exceed the inflow when it's 70 knts through 300 mb of atmosphere. 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's the problem ... 1.5" is a huge number when so much mass is pumping continuously into the system... 

If it rained out 1.5" and left the column devoid of moisture; that's not what/why PWAT means.  Jamming additional 1.5" into the columns as it is raining, the x-coordinate becomes important... that becomes many 1.5's.  I am not sure any amount of convection can exceed the inflow when it's 70 knts through 300 mb of atmosphere. 

interesting...would have never ever thought to really think of it like that

38 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

May be an obvious point to most but for the big wind producers I've always noticed the wind start to pick up and become breezy 24 hrs or so before worst impacts. So if this one means business we should start to see winds gradually increasing tonight into tomorrow. If early tomorrow am is gusty the along the coast this one should be a doozy....

Actually fairly breezy down here today. Nothing too remarkable, but windier than I expected today.

Archived