Welcome to American Weather
stormtracker

Major Hurricane Irma- STORM MODE

2,883 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Can't speak to the rest of this post, as I was busy documenting #Irma in SW Fl, except to say that the officially recorded 142 mph gust most definitely matches the peak winds myself,  Michael Laca, and other highly experienced chasers experienced at the city parking garage in #Naples.   In fact, its peak winds are at least top 3 (along with Katrina and Harvey), maybe even#1, in my own chase career!

The biggest difference I observed,  with regard to the two others, is the relative short duration of those extreme winds; which appears to have limited the more severe wind damage that otherwise would have occured, although certainly bad enough.  

I'm still stranded at the Jacksonville,  Fl airport awaiting a flight back home, after my car rental broke down on me.   As a result,  I'm still trying to catch up posting damage pics taken the days following the storm in Naples...which can be viewed on Twitter @tbrite89.    

Thanks, so 142 mph was the peak gust reported anywhere in the US (and 112 mph was the peak sustained wind?)  As far as the islands are concerned (Cuba, Virgin Is, etc.) what were the peak recorded sustained winds and gusts with Irma?

3 hours ago, Paragon said:

Thanks, so 142 mph was the peak gust reported anywhere in the US (and 112 mph was the peak sustained wind?)  As far as the islands are concerned (Cuba, Virgin Is, etc.) what were the peak recorded sustained winds and gusts with Irma?

To the very best of my knowledge, the figures you listed for highest recorded wind gusts in the USA are accurate.

As far as the localities outside the USA, I honestly haven't put much effort into researching that data.  That said, I believe there was a confirmed wind gust measurement of 155 mph on Barbuda before the anemometer was destroyed.  Unlike in the USA where it's likely that the 142 mph gust is close to the peak wind gust produced by Irma at that time, there's very little doubt that the aforementioned 155 mph gust was greatly exceeded by the unmeasured max gust generated on the eastern Caribbean Islands.    

Maybe another member is aware of a higher recorded gust than the 155 mph mentioned above?  Of course, it's essentially impossible for any anemometer to survive long enough to actually record a wind gust =/> 200 mph...which is theoretically assumed to have been produced by hurricane Irma.   

1 person likes this

57 minutes ago, ncforecaster89 said:

To the very best of my knowledge, the figures you listed for highest recorded wind gusts in the USA are accurate.

As far as the localities outside the USA, I honestly haven't put much effort into researching that data.  That said, I believe there was a confirmed wind gust measurement of 155 mph on Barbuda before the anemometer was destroyed.  Unlike in the USA where it's likely that the 142 mph gust is close to the peak wind gust produced by Irma at that time, there's very little doubt that the aforementioned 155 mph gust was greatly exceeded by the unmeasured max gust generated on the eastern Caribbean Islands.    

Maybe another member is aware of a higher recorded gust than the 155 mph mentioned above?  Of course, it's essentially impossible for any anemometer to survive long enough to actually record a wind gust =/> 200 mph...which is theoretically assumed to have been produced by hurricane Irma.   

Thanks, I had heard theoretical estimates of up to 225 mph for gusts in Barbuda, though that was just an estimate based on radar so one can't be sure.  The highest I actually read about being measured was 157 mph at the landfall point in Northern Cuba when Irma had regained Cat 5 status at 160 mph for a brief time.  One can only assume what would have happened if Irma had somehow not interacted with Cuba and went right into Florida in a path similar to what Andrew took or just north of there.

As it is, Irma maintained 185 mph sustained winds for a record 37 hours.  We'll never know actually how intense it was at peak, but a figure near 170 kt seems likely (or maybe even slightly more.)  

1 person likes this