Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Thanks for the good thoughts folks.  I'll keep you posted on what I get--Subaru or otherwise.

cloudy and some sprinkles here in GC.  Time to start some car shopping.

2013-15 dealer certified, 5 speed  Outback would be my choice.  Either blue or maroon.

Next summer I will start shopping for a dealer certified  2011-13.  Preferably one that has already had the head gaskets replaced.   Manual transmission of course.

Had a maximum temperature of 64F (like holy sh*t, we had very few nights in the 60s this past summer, much less now in November) this morning at 7am.

64F at MVL from 2am-7am on November 3rd.  Wonder what the return on that is.   Normal low is 31F.

Now down to 50F so 7am is the high for the day.  

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

2013-15 dealer certified, 5 speed  Outback would be my choice.  Either blue or maroon.

Next summer I will start shopping for a dealer certified  2011-13.  Preferably one that has already had the head gaskets replaced.   Manual transmission of course.

Don't get me started on that.  Had a 2001 that blew it twice.  **** that.  Supposedly they eliminated that issue in futue models starting in the mid 2000s.

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Had a maximum temperature of 64F (like holy sh*t, we had very few nights in the 60s this past summer, much less now in November) this morning at 7am.

64F at MVL from 2am-7am on November 3rd.  Wonder what the return on that is.   Normal low is 31F.

Now down to 50F so 7am is the high for the day.  

it's actually understandable ... In the summer, we were plagued by a SE Can trough preponderance, that kept the bigger heat shunted most of the time... Some hot air masses clipped here and there, but by and large that was so - 

Now that the seasons are changing and the pattern has modulated along with it... we're passing through an era (ironically) of better deep layer warm transport and more actual backside highs drilling those air mass more proficiently into the mountainous/hilly terrain regions of NW New England.  

18 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Don't get me started on that.  Had a 2001 that blew it twice.  **** that.  Supposedly they eliminated that issue in futue models starting in the mid 2000s.

Wow Bob that sucks usually it's a one time fix.  My mechanic specializes in Subarus and he told me he is getting cars as late as 2012 that need the heads done.  

I'm not sure why Subaru has not been able to ever rectify this problem, maybe has something to do with the boxer engines?   Oddly the head gasket issue does not happen to the turbo models but they have other issues as you can imagine.

We have been thinking Honda or Toyota but I just love driving Subarus so much  that it is hard to switch.  obviously they are great in the snow but with good tires they are pretty reassuring  driving in the pouring rain.

14 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wow Bob that sucks usually it's a one time fix.  My mechanic specializes in Subarus and he told me he is getting cars as late as 2012 that need the heads done.  

I'm not sure why Subaru has not been able to ever rectify this problem, maybe has something to do with the boxer engines?   Oddly the head gasket issue does not happen to the turbo models but they have other issues as you can imagine.

We have been thinking Honda or Toyota but I just love driving Subarus so much  that it is hard to switch.  obviously they are great in the snow but with good tires they are pretty reassuring  driving in the pouring rain.

It was on the 2.5l Boxer engines, yes.  Design is what causes it.  Was not a cheap fix.  1st time it happened, I wrecked the engine and needed a new one.  Set us back several thousand.  The 2nd time we could not afford one so we got rid of the car.  They notoriously go around 100k miles too.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I find the stick option in the Subaru attractive--so few are made these days.  That said, I had an Outback for several years back in the day (I think it was a 2005).  It ran fine, but I really didn't like it.  So, I'll be shopping around.  Definitely looking to a certified used option what ever make/model I get.

Just was in Northampton:  car was reading 75*!  63* at the Pit now off a high of 65.

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Our '99 Outback only blew it one time.  That was the only one of our 5 used Subarus 1991-present, in something north of 500k total miles, that had repeated issues though it took 3 broken timing belts (on Subies 1&2) before we ever drove one in to have a belt replaced.  After a trio of 5-speeds, that '99 was our first automatic, and needed a $2,500 full tranny rebuild about 6 months after we bought it, then the head gasket, CV joint issues, and a 2k replacement of the rear end.  Also, there was a 20-month period when it wore a bullseye.  The day after VD-07 a plowing pickup backed into the driver's side door, the following January a one-ton hauling new tires to the dealership in town skidded into the rear (fortunately not damaging the car) during S+; midst of long line of traffic, wife stopped in time, pickup didn't.  Then October 2008, Sunday before the firearms deer season opened, a dandy buck slammed into the left side (we were westbound at 40, he was northbound at 30) wrecking the door and front corner panel.  Critter ran off into the woods, we continued to church after finishing with LEO, and a local fellow got the deer meat.

Not sure about the 100k doomsday, at least not in our experience, just those timing belts.  Our 1989's handbook listed 60k mile intervals for replacement; the belt broke at 59 and again at 117.  We dumped that Loyale at 134 due to increasing rust and bought a 1991 with 59k and a promise from the dealer that the belt had just been replaced - we had asked.  When it was being replaced at 84k, fortunately at a place close enough to tow it in with our Ranger, the mechanic was sure the broken one had been original equipment.  We ran that one to about 205k, though having the AC die just before the 10-day heat spell during August of 2002 was not fun.  Next came a 1995 Legacy with about 60k.  It was still running just fine at 156k when my wife's knees began to cause trouble, convincing us to buy the 2-pedal '99 Outback with under 50k despite being 7 years old.  Despite its issues, we ran that one to 196k before trading it in 4 years ago for a 2011 Forester automatic with 34k, now about 104 and we finally had to spend some real money on it last summer due to engine seal issues.  In terms of drivability, we like the Forester best, good visibility, higher clearance (our dead-end road isn't the first one plowed), and easy in-out for folks 65+.

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wonder how often ORH hits 70F in November?

Looks like 21 Novembers out of 68 years at the current airport site...though some of those hit 70F more than once in the same month. So prob about 25 times in 68 years...about a 35% chance.

Even though our Impreza is nine years old we decided to put three grand into it rather than using that money as a down payment on something newer and then having another monthly bill.

New head gasket's, new timing belt,  water pump, brakes, clutch, and new axle and CV joint.   That being said, we have  not had any major repairs on that car besides breaks since we bought it.  

I guess it comes down to if you really like Subaru just plan on needing a head gasket job at some point. The fact that the heads usually go around 100 K works out well timing wise because it's time for a new T-belt and pump then anyway.  

If you are getting head gaskets done and still have original clutch that is the time to change it.   Saves a ton of money on labor since they already will have the engine out. 

I guess most people don't bother with any of this anymore and just lease a new car every few years.   I wish I knew somebody with a lift because I would do a lot more of my own work.  

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like 21 Novembers out of 68 years at the current airport site...though some of those hit 70F more than once in the same month. So prob about 25 times in 68 years...about a 35% chance.

Wow that's a lot more than I thought lol.

I would've guessed 10%.  It just seems so warm but guess it's probably a +20 type max departure?

Just now, powderfreak said:

Wow that's a lot more than I thought lol.

I would've guessed 10%.

Goes back to what we were just saying in the model thread....early November is still sneaky warm...more than we tend to want to think mentally because we often associate November with Thanksgiving/holiday festivities kicking off/etc which is at the end of the month and the climo is much colder around that time....also we do even get some occasional snow events in the first half of November, so we sometimes really start getting ourselves into winter mode...but the mild spells are still pretty darn torchy.  I believe those middle 3 weeks of November have the fastest rate of climo drop here for temps.

Archived