Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Man the upper elevations are taking the brunt of the torch relative to normal.

At least in the valley we have been able to get down to the low to mid 30s at night (35F last night) but up at the picnic tables its been in the 50s and 60s.

Last night's low at 4,000ft was 53F and its already up to 64F.  No mixing power this time of year, otherwise it would be 78-83 in the valleys right now.

It's been summer level temperatures at the picnic tables...crazy it snowed up there just a week ago.

Was thinking the same thing.  I just came I’ve the Kancamagus on the way home and the car thermo read 67 f at the bottom and 65f at 2800’

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Was thinking the same thing.  I just came I’ve the Kancamagus on the way home and the car thermo read 67 f at the bottom and 65f at 2800’

Yeah this month has been so crazy with the inversions that the valley bottom has a much colder average temperature than the mid-slope elevations.

MVL at 700ft has had an average temperature this month of 53.8F.

Base of the ski resort has had an average temperature of 57.3F...almost 4 degrees warmer than the lower elevation site!

It is all due to the overnight lows...the valley has been crushing the mid slopes (1,500+) in overnight temperatures by as much as 25 degrees on two nights.  Most nights the difference is 10-15 degrees....like the this morning it was 35F in the valley, vs. 51F at 1,500ft.

During the day, the higher elevations are cooler but at normal adiabatic differences (ie. say 3-4 degrees between 1,500ft and 700ft as mixing hasn't been good enough for steeper rates)...but then at night the difference in the valley is incredible and easily crushes the daytime differences.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah this month has been so crazy with the inversions that the valley bottom has a much colder average temperature than the mid-slope elevations.

MVL at 700ft has had an average temperature this month of 53.8F.

Base of the ski resort has had an average temperature of 57.3F...almost 4 degrees warmer than the lower elevation site!

It is all due to the overnight lows...the valley has been crushing the mid slopes (1,500+) in overnight temperatures by as much as 25 degrees on two nights.  Most nights the difference is 10-15 degrees....like the this morning it was 35F in the valley, vs. 53F at 1,500ft.  18 degree difference.

During the day, the higher elevations are cooler but at normal adiabatic differences (ie. say 3-4 degrees between 1,500ft and 700ft as mixing hasn't been good enough for steeper rates)...but then at night the difference in the valley is incredible and easily crushes the daytime differences.

To continue on that a bit...

71F at 1,500ft right now vs. 75 at 700ft... but this morning showed 53F at 1500ft while it was 35F at 700ft. 

Daily average temp today:

62F at 1,500ft

55F at 700ft

I wonder how often this happens...where monthly average temperatures are significantly lower (like 4-5F lower) in the lower elevations vs. those up to 1000ft higher.  It would be like if BDL averaged a month 4F lower than ORH.  I mean that is very significant when talking about monthly means.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

There is definitely a change coming no doubt. Looks like we cool off after Wednesday and then get another big low moving up west with rain and wind next weekend. After that it certainly looks more seasonable. The pattern is fine heading into early November. No need to rush it.

I'd prefer to panic and say that this exceptionally warm October will be followed by a winter where less than 5 days of below freezing high temperatures will be seen on the summit of Mt. Washington. Positively Permian.

Good to hear that in real life things will be moving in a more normal direction come November. 

29 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

I'd prefer to panic and say that this exceptionally warm October will be followed by a winter where less than 5 days of below freezing high temperatures will be seen on the summit of Mt. Washington. Positively Permian.

Good to hear that in real life things will be moving in a more normal direction come November. 

It's a normal weenie reaction to panic. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

There is definitely a change coming no doubt. Looks like we cool off after Wednesday and then get another big low moving up west with rain and wind next weekend. After that it certainly looks more seasonable. The pattern is fine heading into early November. No need to rush it.

Yep. Doesn't look like it'll be easy to get back into 70s after next couple days.

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Ok that was over the line, my bad mods. She knows I would never do that to her....without her approval.

But seriously, she isnt a weenie but can tell the difference between rain, snow, or sleet. In the mid 60s, and not in a severe storm....how do you get icey pellets to fall? 

What's more crazy is how you get precipitation to fall with all stations reporting CLR skies in CT over the past several hours.

Only thing I can think of is kids crushing up ice cubes and throwing them off a bridge on I-84 based on satellite/radar/obs.

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What's more crazy is how you get precipitation to fall with all stations reporting CLR skies in CT over the past several hours.

Only thing I can think of is kids crushing up ice cubes and throwing them off a bridge on I-84 based on satellite/radar/obs.

Hmm, there's clouds in that area though and radar has spotted reflectivity. I dunno, strange. 

Archived