joxey
Summer 2017 Banter Thread

dmillz25

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, snywx said:

A thing of beauty.. I put that one just ahead of feb 2014 atleast up this way

Yep. You guys got crushed. Congrats. I got like 4 or 4.5" then sleet then light rain back to light snow.  Might have ended with 5" total.  I dont remember.

5 hours ago, Rjay said:

Yep. You guys got crushed. Congrats. I got like 4 or 4.5" then sleet then light rain back to light snow.  Might have ended with 5" total.  I dont remember.

I got 13" here with it. Got crushed with the front end then we had thunderstorms with sleet and rain as the ULL went over us then snowed again on the backside. That storm literally had everything 

CVS showing no tropical activity near EC or GOM through mid-Sept.  Earlier piddings I mentioned do not show up now. (late Aug.) Any lows seem to favor the route from Great Lakes into SE Canada.

Only 2 of the 4  '45-day Precip. Outlooks'  hint at EC action.

the February 2014 storm was officially measured at 12.5"...9.5" before the change to rain with temps above freezing...3" when it ended as snow...it rained all day...at least an inch of rain fell washing away half of the 9.5"...I hate storms like that...December 26th, 1969 and February 19th, 1972 were similar storms with heavy snow on the front end...then it changes to rain and it rains all day...near the end of the storm the rain changes back to snow and 1-3" accumulates...this almost happened on Feb. 4th, 1961...for a time the snow changed to a mix but temperatures stayed below freezing...

CFS quiet for next 45 days on tropical action except first week of Sept. in the GOM and broad low pressure along EC at that time.   3 of 4, 45-day precip. predictors favor the GOM over the EC for above normal amounts.

Miami easily has LGA beat.;)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/07/27/with-countless-records-smashed-this-year-is-bringing-new-meaning-to-miami-heat/?utm_term=.5aa240dbb7cd

Record numbers of lows above 80 degrees

Miami’s low temperatures have also been remarkably high. So far this year, Miami has had a record 32 days with low temperatures at or above 80. The previous record, year to date, was 25 days. The average number of such days through July 27 is just eight.

24 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Miami easily has LGA beat.;)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/07/27/with-countless-records-smashed-this-year-is-bringing-new-meaning-to-miami-heat/?utm_term=.5aa240dbb7cd

Record numbers of lows above 80 degrees

Miami’s low temperatures have also been remarkably high. So far this year, Miami has had a record 32 days with low temperatures at or above 80. The previous record, year to date, was 25 days. The average number of such days through July 27 is just eight.

Looks like today will be their first and only July day not to hit 90.

On July 31, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Morris said:

Looks like today will be their first and only July day not to hit 90.

The Pacific Northwest will be the place to be for record to historic heat the next few days.

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=OR&prodtype=discussion

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Portland OR
332 PM PDT Tue Aug  1 2017

.SYNOPSIS...The longest heatwave since at least 2009 is expected for
much of the Pacific Northwest this week. The hottest period will be
today through Friday when afternoon high temperatures will be near
or above 100 degrees every day in the interior. Many sites will be
close to all-time record high temperatures Wednesday and Thursday.
Some relief is expected for the Coast Thursday or Friday and inland
over the weekend. However, high temperatures are expected to remain
well above average through at least early next week.
Wednesday and Thursday continues to be the hottest days in
the interior as the thermal trough builds over the Willamette Valley
and 850mb temps climb into the mid 20s. As mentioned in previous
discussions, the last three times that PDX hit 107F the 850mb temps
were around 25C, so all time records are certainly within reach

It's been exactly one month since the last thunderstorm here. Only 8 so far this year, and only 3 of those were actual thunderstorms, the rest were mainly showers with faint rumbles of thunder.

This area averages roughly 25 thunderstorm days per year, I haven't been remotely close to that figure since 2012.

25 minutes ago, Cfa said:

It's been exactly one month since the last thunderstorm here. Only 8 so far this year, and only 3 of those were actual thunderstorms, the rest were mainly showers with faint rumbles of thunder.

This area averages roughly 25 thunderstorm days per year, I haven't been remotely close to that figure since 2012.

Long Island....sigh

Lol

WE WANTED TO NOTE THAT WE HAVE RECEIVED MESSAGES FROMHPC ABOUT INITIALIZATION PROBLEMS ON BOTH THE NAM AND GFS RUNS THISMORNING

And

CONSENSUS IS EMERGING DISCOUNTING THE 12Z GFS AND 18Z NAM... THAT

TAKES THE LOW FARTHER OFFSHORE

Then..... 

THE 00Z GFS LOOKS TOO SLOW/SOUTHWEST WITH ITS CYCLONENEAR THE EAST COAST AS IT HAS THE SUPPORT OF ABOUT ONE-FIFTH OFTHE 18Z GEFS MEMBERS AND 1/30 OF THE 12Z GLOBAL ENSEMBLEGUIDANCE...SO IT COULD NOT BE USED HERE.

Then the ggem, rgem and ukie come west and HPC decides to double down on the 0z gfs....

THE 18Z AND 00Z GFS RUNSARE SHOWING SIGNS OF CONVECTIVE/GRIDSCALE FEEDBACK AS THE SYSTEMMOVES ALONG THE GULF COAST WHICH COULD BE MAKING ITS SOLUTION ATTHE SURFACE AND ALOFT TOO STRONG.

2 hours ago, Cfa said:

Don't feel bad I haven't experienced one in YEARS. If the criteria is torrential downpour, strong winds 40+ and frequent lightning then it's been years. I have had no hail in several years yet graupel once in May.

13 hours ago, Rjay said:

Lol

WE WANTED TO NOTE THAT WE HAVE RECEIVED MESSAGES FROMHPC ABOUT INITIALIZATION PROBLEMS ON BOTH THE NAM AND GFS RUNS THISMORNING

And

CONSENSUS IS EMERGING DISCOUNTING THE 12Z GFS AND 18Z NAM... THAT

TAKES THE LOW FARTHER OFFSHORE

Then..... 

THE 00Z GFS LOOKS TOO SLOW/SOUTHWEST WITH ITS CYCLONENEAR THE EAST COAST AS IT HAS THE SUPPORT OF ABOUT ONE-FIFTH OFTHE 18Z GEFS MEMBERS AND 1/30 OF THE 12Z GLOBAL ENSEMBLEGUIDANCE...SO IT COULD NOT BE USED HERE.

Then the ggem, rgem and ukie come west and HPC decides to double down on the 0z gfs....

THE 18Z AND 00Z GFS RUNSARE SHOWING SIGNS OF CONVECTIVE/GRIDSCALE FEEDBACK AS THE SYSTEMMOVES ALONG THE GULF COAST WHICH COULD BE MAKING ITS SOLUTION ATTHE SURFACE AND ALOFT TOO STRONG.

a juiced up miller a with a strong -nao. the best scenario for a last minute west jog

14 hours ago, Cfa said:

I remember multiple damaging wind events caused by thunderstorms growing up in the 80/90s. The best being an early august storm in the early 90s. The cover of news day had 5 o'clock shadow.... anyone have any info on that storm? There was widespread wind damage on the island. (Way before the 98 derecho)

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I remember multiple damaging wind events caused by thunderstorms growing up in the 80/90s. The best being an early august storm in the early 90s. The cover of news day had 5 o'clock shadow.... anyone have any info on that storm? There was widespread wind damage on the island. (Way before the 98 derecho)

Got stuck at Shea in a huge storm in July 90. Had to run up to the very top of the upper deck with lightning striking all around us. Scary as hell. And i'm not even a Mets fan. Friend had an extra ticket and asked me to go last minute

Archived