Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Came up to TH this morning . Can't go during week anymore with new job. All the way from Tolland to Monson looks like this. This was KTOL. Acres and hundreds of miles of Oaks totally bare. Will be a lot of tree death 

http://BF9A5022-C160-4CCE-8FC7-ABE78442598F_zps

Glad we don't live there.

Congrats on the new job.  Now you can move to NW CT and enjoy some winter.  :)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I can't recall seeing this before with dual-pol. Intuitively it makes sense, strong winds can loft all sizes of objects, but I had not seen an example of low CC on the leading edge of strong straight line winds. Not quite like a TDS, but similar.

keax_20170617_0516_CC_0.5.thumb.png.f7da0d7fd5a905a0a3508781a0a0519d.png

You can see one boundary through Wyandotte County and another through Jackson and Lafayette.

I'm out in Kansas City. Last night was epic. Our hotel has an awesome viewing spot on the 12th floor. Do you think tonight will be just as good or better?  Heat index is supposed to be 105-113 today which should help.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I was at a wedding in PHX in July about 30 years ago.   It didn't drop under 100 until midnight.   I decided to go out for a run the next morning.  Folks came out of their houses to gawk at me running as the temps soared past 110...lol.

lol---and you lived to tell the tale.

82/62 this afternoon...full sun.

This would be about perfect summer weather.  Hot enough to want to swim (already did that today) but nice enough to hike and do outdoor recreation without passing out from heat ha.

I'd prefer a few of 52F instead of 62F but we'll survive lol.

Feels exactly as it should for near the solastice.

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

When I lived in Metro Boston in the early 1980's there was a severe gypsy moth infestation.  The trees around Rt 128 looked like this.  I hiked the Blue Hills and the reservation looked almost bare in mid June.  It was crazy.  On the news every day.  Everyone thought there would be massive oak damage.  People were putting "tar" rings around the base of trees to save them.  The good news was that by mid summer the trees all sprouted a second growth.  Not quite as thick as the spring growth but the vast, vast majority of trees made it.  Watch what happens over the next few weeks.  I think repeated seasons of gypsy moths is what really hurts!

The bolded is right on - healthy trees can re-leaf after defoliation 2-3 years before they run out of reserves and begin to die.  Weak trees are in trouble with one defoliation.

That early 80s outbreak was crazy in that area.  We lived in N. Maine then but would take trips that included my parents' place in central NH and my brother's in Milford, MA - he was then stationed at the cold wx lab in Natick.  One June - I think 1982 - our route featured bare trees from north of MHT all the way to Milford, and who knows how far beyond.  Even the pine and hemlock were stripped, a one-and-done death sentence for the latter.  That was the worst year but several others were nearly as bad, and a lot of trees did not survive.

Just now, tamarack said:

The bolded is right on - healthy trees can re-leaf after defoliation 2-3 years before they run out of reserves and begin to die.  Weak trees are in trouble with one defoliation.

That early 80s outbreak was crazy in that area.  We lived in N. Maine then but would take trips that included my parents' place in central NH and my brother's in Milford, MA - he was then stationed at the cold wx lab in Natick.  One June - I think 1982 - our route featured bare trees from north of MHT all the way to Milford, and who knows how far beyond.  Even the pine and hemlock were stripped, a one-and-done death sentence for the latter.  That was the worst year but several others were nearly as bad, and a lot of trees did not survive.

What are your thoughts from the pics posted here. Some of those are for the 2nd consecutive year 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What are your thoughts from the pics posted here. Some of those are for the 2nd consecutive year 

I'd guess (and from this distance it's only a guess) most will survive this defoliation but if it happens again next year those 3rd-year trees are in trouble.

That's insane--at least it's a dry heat.

My oven is a dry heat.

4 hours ago, BrianW said:

I'm out in Kansas City. Last night was epic. Our hotel has an awesome viewing spot on the 12th floor. Do you think tonight will be just as good or better?  Heat index is supposed to be 105-113 today which should help.

Probably not as good as last night. Those were some mature bows that ripped through the metro area. Today looks more cellular though, so maybe some large hail possible.

This morning from the upper mountain looking south down the Spine.  The Champlain Valley side on the right stayed well mixed with the southerly flow while east of the Spine where the colder air wedges in had some low clouds.  Very distinct dividing line from one side of the Spine to the other.

19225521_10213559662171100_2812514151712

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I'd guess (and from this distance it's only a guess) most will survive this defoliation but if it happens again next year those 3rd-year trees are in trouble.

That's insane--at least it's a dry heat.

My oven is a dry heat.

IDK I saw dozens of Oaks that did not leaf out this year including one in my yard that appeared perfectly healthy last year and even releafed. Somethings going on with Oaks

Just lookin.   5pm Carlsbad NM   107F.   Dewpoint 4F.   That gives a realitive humidity of 2%.   I don't really pay attention to RH.   Wondered what the lowest value ever recorded was...

Found it.   1%

The world's lowest recorded relative humidity value occurred at Coober Pedy in the South Australia desert when the temperature was 93 degrees and the dew point was minus 21 degrees producing a relative humidity of 1 percent.Dec 16, 2011

10 hours ago, BrianW said:

Well sh**, tornadoes north of the city (at least one TDS) within yet another bowing complex. Back to back nights of measured 80 mph gusts in the greater KC area.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Just lookin.   5pm Carlsbad NM   107F.   Dewpoint 4F.   That gives a realitive humidity of 2%.   I don't really pay attention to RH.   Wondered what the lowest value ever recorded was...

Found it.   1%

The world's lowest recorded relative humidity value occurred at Coober Pedy in the South Australia desert when the temperature was 93 degrees and the dew point was minus 21 degrees producing a relative humidity of 1 percent.Dec 16, 2011

TUS had a 104/-18 the other day so I'm sure that isn't correct.

Archived