• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Still 45F at ORH at 1pm...too bad about the cheap overnight high otherwise it could break the all time monthly low max. Still should pull off a 40s (49 to be exact) for a high on 6/6 though which is not easy to do. Daily record was 51F.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a July 4th parade in Hartland, Vt. some time in the last 30 years (how's that for narrowing it down?) where I swear it was just like today.  I remember pouring rain and hypothermia standing there watching the poor miserable marchers go by.   I wish that weatherspark site or whatever was still around so I could go take a look to see if it was really as cold as I remember it.   VFD's barbeque chicken was awesome as usual, though.  BBQ chicken and hot chocolate.  Quite the pairing. 

11 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

I remember a July 4th parade in Hartland, Vt. some time in the last 30 years (how's that for narrowing it down?) where I swear it was just like today.  I remember pouring rain and hypothermia standing there watching the poor miserable marchers go by.   I wish that weatherspark site or whatever was still around so I could go take a look to see if it was really as cold as I remember it.   VFD's barbeque chicken was awesome as usual, though.  BBQ chicken and hot chocolate.  Quite the pairing. 

7/4/92

3 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

Maybe a bit farther back?  In 1982 we spent a weekend at the Allagash Bible Camp in that village, and 850s must've been near zero C, as on both the 3rd and 4th we had afternoon showers that dragged temps down to around 40 and the staff was scrambling to find extra blankets.  I think that if we'd been at our back settlement home in Ft. Kent, 970' elev, rather than at 630' near the St. John, we'd have seen flakes/graupel/IP with those showers, like we did in late August that year. 

7 minutes ago, Tom12309 said:

I recall such a 4th of July. If my memory is serving  me well it was in the 80's but I do not recall the year. I think the high was in the low to mid 50's.

Early June 2000 there was a thrashing nor'easter with swaying trees and 51 type chill and sheets... I was living in Waltham at the time and I think that date has  low record high or close to it down in ORH ...June 5th or 6th - 

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Early June 2000 there was a thrashing nor'easter with swaying trees and 51 type chill and sheets... I was living in Waltham at the time and I think that date has  low record high or close to it down in ORH ...June 5th or 6th - 

The 2000 storm was 6/6...today's record low max at ORH is 51F in 2000....though barring a miracle, that record will get beat since today's high so far is only 49F which occurred before sunrise.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Hi Tip,

I checked my weather log book and it was June 6th. According to my records the temp dropped from 54 into the mid 40's. gusts to 40MPH+

41 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Still 45F at ORH at 1pm...too bad about the cheap overnight high otherwise it could break the all time monthly low max. Still should pull off a 40s (49 to be exact) for a high on 6/6 though which is not easy to do. Daily record was 51F.

47° here.  When I reset the thermometer this morning around 7 it was 48° so unless it warms up before tomorrow morning that will go down for my max.  It looks like we had a similar day in 2015 because I was looking up my record low max for June and that was it from 6/1/2015 and 1.95" of rain.  This would be latest max in the 40s since 1985.

Just now, Great Snow 1717 said:

Hi Tip,

I checked my weather log book and it was June 6th. According to my records the temp dropped from 54 into the mid 40's. gusts to 40MPH+

And I remembered it as such ... I remember standing hesitating that evening on the front steps of my apartment, turning at the sound of a particular white-noisy wind rustle through the trees and saying, "Jesus Christ" with a slow head shake.  Unmitigated brutality - seemingly criminal against climo.  Like God himself should have been grounded and sent to bed with no supper for that bullschit act - ahhaha

yeah, actually that May 2005 thing I've commiserated so deeply over in the past was like that too...  

Pretty much these things are reminders (if nothing else) how fragile the system really is... if/when we can mute the warm "illusion" of spring and summer so blithely back to these scales.  Think about it:  we are on top of the solstice with no over arching volcanism or other distorting effects yet we are only 14 F above freezing ?    That's not a lot of temperature in real physical sciences.. 

Yet, the whole thing is silly and subjective to sensibilities/acclimation anyway. The human threshold is narrow.  There isn't a big difference in the spectrum of temperature between 90 and 32 either - yet, one flips the phase of water and the other sends people to the er with heat exposure.  So it's hard to separate what's really that big of a deal based just on how it "feels"  

Still, 14 + 32 F seems abhorrent for any time after May 1st, sensible relativity aside, in my mind.  What also I was thinking about is that the summer of 2000 violated one's warm bum the entire way. that was pretty much about as close to a year without a summer without taking any cold trophies as we could get - mass migration type of bad climate.  

As previous posters have said, the rain can stop any time...we've probably had about an 1.50" since yesterday evening, not even exaggerating lol. That's not even taking into account the previous night's quarter to a half inch of additional moisture. One thing is for sure is that once the sun does finally decide to come out of its hibernation, the grasses and plants are bound to explode with growth. Funny thing is we couldn't buy a drop of rain last spring and strangely enough, a year later we end up with one of the wettest springs in recent memory. 

16 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And I remembered it as such ... I remember standing hesitating that evening on the front steps of my apartment, turning at the sound of a particular white-noisy wind rustle through the trees and saying, "Jesus Christ" with a slow head shake.  Unmitigated brutality - seemingly criminal against climo.  Like God himself should have been grounded and sent to bed with no supper for that bullschit act - ahhaha

yeah, actually that May 2005 thing I've commiserated so deeply over in the past was like that too...  

Pretty much these things are reminders (if nothing else) how fragile the system really is... if/when we can mute the warm "illusion" of spring and summer so blithely back to these scales.  Think about it:  we are on top of the solstice with no over arching volcanism or other distorting effects yet we are only 14 F above freezing ?    That's not a lot of temperature in real physical sciences.. 

Yet, the whole thing is silly and subjective to sensibilities/acclimation anyway. The human threshold is narrow.  There isn't a big difference in the spectrum of temperature between 90 and 32 either - yet, one flips the phase of water and the other sends people to the er with heat exposure.  So it's hard to separate what's really that big of a deal based just on how it "feels"  

Still, 14 + 32 F seems abhorrent for any time after May 1st, sensible relativity aside, in my mind.  What also I was thinking about is that the summer of 2000 violated one's warm bum the entire way. that was pretty much about as close to a year without a summer without taking any cold trophies as we could get - mass migration type of bad climate.  

For the summer of 2000 I recorded only 8 days of 90+, 7 in June and 1 in July. A stark contrast to the summer of 99 when I recorded 34 days of 90+

7 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

As previous posters have said, the rain can stop any time...we've probably had about an 1.50" since yesterday evening, not even exaggerating lol. That's not even taking into account the previous night's quarter to a half inch of additional moisture. One thing is for sure is that once the sun does finally decide to come out of its hibernation, the grasses and plants are bound to explode with growth. Funny thing is we couldn't buy a drop of rain last spring and strangely enough, a year later we end up with one of the wettest springs in recent memory. 

10 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

The rain has helped my lawn recover from last year's drought so it hasn't been all bad. Anyways it doesn't do any of us any good to worry about what the weather brings.

2 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

A couple of small space heaters would solve the problem. I have a couple of them just in case of an emergency. And a few times I've had to use them while waiting for a repair person.

Unfortunately they're all up north at my cabin (which didn't have a furnace until a couple years ago). I was working outside today and came home to it 62 about an hour ago, so I got a fire going in the fireplace, turned the oven on and even ran a hair dryer. It's back up to 67, lol.

2 hours ago, Tom12309 said:

Just last 4th weekend I want to say it was in the upper 40's one evening during the fireworks in the Whites.

41 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Moderate rain up here.   Around 1.60ish so far.  Looks like the pivot will stay south of me.  So heavy rain about to hit from the SE and then the whole thing has to pivot with rain from the east and then coming back from the north. Many hours seem left.   2/2.50" seems  doable.   

Easterly flow just cranking.

Seeing a lot of bright banding here and it's pouring on the east slope of the Spine.  Wonder how far up is frozen?  

37F on the upper mountain.  Has been steady heavy at times for the past 12 hours.

IMG_6079.GIF.1e875fdb6a9f4e4f8b5b3941c1b177b8.GIF

48 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GYx is all bright band. Look at CC.

I gotta start using that more.  I just know in my experience with BTV radar that bright banding right over the west slopes of Mansfield will allow for snow or frozen to reach the upper mountain elevations...the bright banding on the east slopes usually means it's 5-6kft as that's really the only scan height that can get over the 4000ft Spine.  

Down to 36F now with a wind chill of 23F at. MMNV1...that's a cold rain right now.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

MWN over to snow now. 

Just judging by the location of the bright banding from BTV I'd guess it's 5,000ft range or so.  Sleet or snow.

PF  6pm  30F moderate snow...   Just looked at MWN from the Wildcat cam.  Judging from vis.  the snow line is about at the yellow line I drew.  Wonder if they could grab an inch or two?

Average June snowfall is 1".  Most in 24 hours was 5.1" in 1988

ravines-med.jpg

Archived