Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,394
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    NW_of_GYX
    Newest Member
    NW_of_GYX
    Joined
Rtd208

March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Recommended Posts

Its not quite Juno or March 2001 level disapointment but this one will be up there: the Big Trio ( for all the wrong reasons). This stings!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, nyblizz44 said:

Its not quite Juno or March 2001 level disapointment but this one will be up there: the Big Trio ( for all the wrong reasons). This stings!

Quite literally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snywx said:

13z HRRR has another 20-22" on top of the 12"+ already on the ground

Hey... how about across Northern Westchester... how much more additional snow does it show?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

I'm actually enjoying this. Its not often you get a sleetstorm here.

Last one was in 2007

I rather have a 12+ inch blizzard than shovel this crap.

We are going to have 6+ when all said and done

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty big bust for the I-95 corridor in terms of snowfall, but not in terms of total frozen precip, at least from maybe Trenton northward, where it hasn't been rain as far as I know. I had about 7" of snow/sleet on the ground about 90 minutes ago (7.5" now, with some compaction) and I shoveled the driveway at that point and 90 min later I now have about 2" of sleet on the driveway, which is the equivalent of about 6" of snow, so I have about 13" of "snow equivalent," in terms of total frozen precip mass, even if I only have 7.5" depth (partly due to compaction - the 7" + 2" sleet did not equal 9" depth, lol), which is just as hard to shovel or plow and is just as bad on the roads - it's just not the same depth it would be if it were all snow and maybe isn't as pretty. From a meteorological perspective, snow and sleet are just counted together, as depth, so it is more of a bust from that perspective. I'm guessing we should get another inch or two of sleet (3-6" snow equivalent, which would bring us to 16-19" of "snow equivalent" mass) unless it changes to rain, although it's still just 29F, so that's unlikely - and if it does, it would be freezing rain, which the NWS warned about, which would be really bad. 

 

So maybe a topic for another thread: should we be "measuring" some sort of "snow equivalent" in some way?  No easy way to do it, but there ought to be a way to convey that 6" of snow and 4" of sleet is roughly the same mass as 18" of snow even if the depth would probably be maybe 8", due to compaction, not 10", as the sleet on top of the snow compacts the underlying snow significantly.  Or just convert it to liquid equivalent and then assume 10:1 to compare it to other snowstorms - problem there is then you'd always have to do this for every snowstorm to get them on the same mass basis.  In truth, snow mass is a better gauge of impact than snow depth, anyway (mass is more important than depth for shoveling and removal and is just as important for travel impacts), but I doubt it'll ever really be used, since depth is so much easier to measure.  Curious what people think.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snow88 said:

Last one was in 2007

I rather have a 12+ inch blizzard than shovel this crap.

We are going to have 6+ when all said and done

It's the interiors turn let them have it they deserve it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, snywx said:

13z HRRR has another 20-22" on top of the 12"+ already on the ground

Why are we still believing it? It failed miserably last night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nyblizz44 said:

Its not quite Juno or March 2001 level disapointment but this one will be up there: the Big Trio ( for all the wrong reasons). This stings!

it stings quite literally, I had to shield my eyeballs out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, real said:

Why are we still believing it? It failed miserably last night

Why? Cause its nailing the north western part of the storm. Im not located in NYC in case you are wondering. Im in Orange county

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, snywx said:

yes lol.. from 13z on so from 9am on an additional 12-16" 

Ok wow! Thanks!! Sorry I guess you can hear my OMG is that possible lol. Going to measure shortly, but had 9" at 930. I've had a little sleet mixed in but 85% snow, but it's still accumulating nicely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very impressive in NYC metro. Mix of sleet and snow with heavy winds. I have about 8" of snow/sleet so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, snywx said:

Why? Cause its nailing the north western part of the storm. Im not located in NYC in case you are wondering. Im in Orange county

The snow band near you looks to be incredible the next three or four hours.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Pretty big bust for the I-95 corridor in terms of snowfall, but not in terms of total frozen precip, at least from maybe Trenton northward, where it hasn't been rain as far as I know. I had about 7" of snow/sleet on the ground about 90 minutes ago (7.5" now, with some compaction) and I shoveled the driveway at that point and 90 min later I now have about 2" of sleet on the driveway, which is the equivalent of about 6" of snow, so I have about 13" of "snow equivalent," in terms of total frozen precip mass, even if I only have 7.5" depth (partly due to compaction - the 7" + 2" sleet did not equal 9" depth, lol), which is just as hard to shovel or plow and is just as bad on the roads - it's just not the same depth it would be if it were all snow and maybe isn't as pretty. From a meteorological perspective, snow and sleet are just counted together, as depth, so it is more of a bust from that perspective. I'm guessing we should get another inch or two of sleet (3-6" snow equivalent, which would bring us to 16-19" of "snow equivalent" mass) unless it changes to rain, although it's still just 29F, so that's unlikely - and if it does, it would be freezing rain, which the NWS warned about, which would be really bad. 

 

So maybe a topic for another thread: should we be "measuring" some sort of "snow equivalent" in some way?  No easy way to do it, but there ought to be a way to convey that 6" of snow and 4" of sleet is roughly the same mass as 18" of snow even if the depth would probably be maybe 8", due to compaction, not 10", as the sleet on top of the snow compacts the underlying snow significantly.  Or just convert it to liquid equivalent and then assume 10:1 to compare it to other snowstorms - problem there is then you'd always have to do this for every snowstorm to get them on the same mass basis.  In truth, snow mass is a better gauge of impact than snow depth, anyway (mass is more important than depth for shoveling and removal and is just as important for travel impacts), but I doubt it'll ever really be used, since depth is so much easier to measure.  Curious what people think.  

I was just thinking we are piling up some impressive sleet....i cleaned early because the threat of rain on top of what I guess was about 5 inches at the time would be impossible to clean, and since then everything is covered up again. But the heck with it. It's March, nature will take care of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, snywx said:

Why? Cause its nailing the north western part of the storm. Im not located in NYC in case you are wondering. Im in Orange county

All models had you getting snow lol it hasn't done well with the rain/snow line at all farther south.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×