Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, MountainGeek said:

Any suggestions for good sources for additional reading on this effect? I'm sitting at 800ft about a mile west of that ridge (ridge is about 1500 ft). Does the upslope only help on the east side of the ridge, or does the lift effect "carry over" some distance past the initial ridge?

I will try to keep an eye on how this pans out vs the totals a few miles on either side of the AT. 

I know from skiing up in Vermont that there can be some blowover effect where the winds carry the snow from upslope enhancement over the other side of the ridge. Stowe is actually on the lee side but due to this effect they get dumped. But it tapers off quick as you head down such that if the ski resort is getting a 20" dump from upside the town only 3 miles away in the valley might only get a couple inches. Plus those mountains are 4000 feet and at a perfect alignment to get upslope off lake Champlain. So the effect there is extreme. In general you want to be on the windward side of the slope to get help from upslope

People always talk about various models having clear, known, confirmed biases... if the biases are so well-known and confirmed, why haven't the powers that be adjusted the algorithms to account for it?  Is it because once a model is established, they don't tweak them or is it too hard to tweak or what? 

13 minutes ago, BTRWx said:

The physics don't add up here!  The low is hundreds of miles south of the other models, yet "it" rains. #BantheNAM

banthenam.jpg

Stop trying to figure out the NAM. Lol. But part of the problem is the primary in Ohio. In effect since that's closer and still the dominant feature at that time the low is to our northwest.  But it's coming around each run. I bet by tomorrow it's in line. 

good as in its good for your yby? or good as in its at the point where you want it right now? I don't judge either way, just interested.

I think he would prefer RPM but since it is occupied at the moment PNAM is looking mighty attractive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, snjókoma said:

good as in its good for your yby? or good as in its at the point where you want it right now? I don't judge either way, just interested.

My back yard. Most of my posts in banter are humor. On a serious note, the 3k nam has a tuck and stall and deform love. It's dicey but a big hit. 

I want the gfs or the rpm or whatever model gives us all a big storm. 

17 minutes ago, snowfan said:

I started a.....the 3k nam doesn't look awful.....then I deleted it. Don't want the wrath of randy.

:lol:

That would have been fine.  The problem comes when people try to get deep with the regular sh*t NAM and get emotional either way based off of it when we've been told countless times by mets and experienced hobbyists alike that it's crap.

8 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

:lol:

That would have been fine.  The problem comes when people try to get deep with the regular sh*t NAM and get emotional either way based off of it when we've been told countless times by mets and experienced hobbyists alike that it's crap.

So would posting this be okay?

nam4km_asnow_neus_21.png

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived