Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Short range disco and Obs - STORM MODE

stormtracker

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

And now the 22 early on looks to be a major reduction.  Probably should wait till it finishes tho.

Make sure your frames line up between runs. 22z should be okay for us.

eta: The last frame shows less overall I'd assume from what someone mentioned about the quicker cutoff, but I like the comparison look a a few frames earlier.  The 22z run is similar at 12z compared to the 20z run, but less than 21z.  It's all still noise at this point.

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Yea. There are two ways to look at that. 

Pessimist: that dry and we're screwed. We need the moisture bomb scenario to crash temps and get accumulations. 

Optimist:  yea but it's running pretty cold and quick with the changeover even with that meager qpf. So if the precip from all other guidance verifies with the hrrr thermals it could end well. 

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

The "good" runs of the GFS and RGEM had me at 50 degrees at 7 tonight.  Sitting at 61.5.  I'm thinking we might not even see snow TV here. 

It's 37 with rain in Johnstown, PA and 41 in State College. The really cold stuff is up near Bradford, PA. Sadly,  we're going to lose the race it seems.

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_map.php?inv=0&t=cur&region=at&expanddiv=hide_bar

Just now, mitchnick said:

It's 37 with rain in Johnstown, PA and 41 in State College. The really cold stuff is up near Bradford, PA. Sadly,  we're going to lose the race it seems.

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_map.php?inv=0&t=cur&region=at&expanddiv=hide_bar

That air doesn't have to move here.  It's night, precip, cold aloft can take those temps down fast.

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea. There are two ways to look at that. 

Pessimist: that dry and we're screwed. We need the moisture bomb scenario to crash temps and get accumulations. 

Optimist:  yea but it's running pretty cold and quick with the changeover even with that meager qpf. So if the precip from all other guidance verifies with the hrrr thermals it could end well. 

You forgot realist. ....it's still 61 degrees.  Lol

2 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

If the Hrrr is close to correct with qpf, I think you'd agree that between .5-.74" qpf won't do it in light of current temps.

I'm skeptical.  I'm skeptical of the hrrr in the first place.  I'm skeptical of the precip amounts.  I'm skeptical of what temps will be here at the onset.  I think all I can do is wait and see.

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I'm skeptical.  I'm skeptical of the hrrr in the first place.  I'm skeptical of the precip amounts.  I'm skeptical of what temps will be here at the onset.  I think all I can do is wait and see.

You'll do fine, you are located in far north VA, at least 5-8 inches for you :)

Deff a little behind schedule in terms of temp drop particularly for the cities/around I95. Looks closer to being on par with models out near western PA so hard to say what effect that might have yet. HRRR will likely bounce around next couple runs, Ill take it more seriously around 03Z

In terms of temp drop, you'll want to look at the SPC meso analysis at 850 and compare that. That's about where it is on 18z NAM, with some slight NW adjustments in New England.

I'm not even sure that matters much though. We need one of the following:
1) slow it down (it's going faster than yesterday's guidance) though maybe it will stall as it bombs
2) blow it up (that ones working out for us as it looks incredibly healthy at the 850mb level according to cranky weather guy)
3) angle it a bit further south (swing and a miss on that one...).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I was thinking 3-6 and maybe even leaving 4-8 here with my 1050 elevation after the 12z suite. Not sure what your elevation is.   But the 18z stuff was concerning a bit. We have no wiggle room for a north trend or even a wiggle.  Right now I'd probably still stick with 3-6 but lean lower rather then higher but the 18z guidance has me spooked because it went the wrong way after 12z looked better. 

I'm at 700 or so depending on where in my yard you are standing ;)

50/40 here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived