Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 9th Coastal Storm Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That's why western guys especially in orographically to inflow prone areas jumped too early.  ORH hills to TOL to mpm will jack with a secondary jack over interior SE MA and most of NE MA.

Going Climo is always a safe bet.
Red-flag I'm noticing as 11th hour approaches is the diverge between NAM (usually higher QPF) is much lower than the GFS. Still much to be resolved IMO.  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah makes sense.  I was just looking at that 4km NAM run and it seems to do it over western Mass.  The band shoots out ahead of the system and then slows and sort of almost pivots but then picks up steam moving East again.  Then almost does it again over Eastern Mass.

Yeah and both make sense to me...but I would like to see the other runs do this.

NAM looks a little skimpier ... 

I don't like that the Euro went E at 00z like that, but am willing to stay... Thing is, this could all still miss just east - probably impossible to penetrate minds with that thought at this stage of the game (understood) ... but, this thing is the ultimate needle threader.  It has to be pretty well handled in terms of organization rate of blossoming ...that late bloomers need to. 

Suppose the NAM is skimpier at 18 z again, then halves the totals on the 00z ...and the Euro ticked east at 12 z this morning...  Then, it misses just east and everyone thinks it was a bust and ...heh, sorry - the writing would have been on the wall in such a modeling evolution.  Just trying to tame things with some realism that there are negating possibilities still on the table.  

Not that anyone doesn't know that - just sayin'.  

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

06z RGEM was not very good up this way at all, We will see what it does at 12z, But i would still be hesitant with it as it has puked on itself a few times like i bet some of the Pats players did this morning.

RGEM = Gronk   Can come up big, but can also be wretching outside the party bus

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't like that the Euro went E at 00z like that, but am willing to stay... Thing is, this could all still miss just east - probably impossible to penetrate minds with that thought at this stage of the game (understood) ... but, this thing is the ultimate needle threader.  It has to be pretty well handled in terms of organization rate of blossoming ...that late bloomers need to. 

Suppose the NAM is skimpier at 18 z again, then halves the totals on the 00z ...and the Euro ticked east at 12 z this morning...  Then, it misses just east and everyone thinks it was a bust and ...heh, sorry - the writing would have been on the wall in such a modeling evolution.  Just trying to tame things with some realism that there are negating possibilities still on the table.  

We are talking about 24 hours until go-time. I have a hard time seeing this whiff at this stage. Maybe 8-12 turns into 4-8, sure.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Turn your monitor right side up

2 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

what is sitting and rotating just off the NC coast?  Is that the southern stream low that the energy over the lower Midwest is going to inject into?  you can see a clear rotation off NC.

I think it actually helps keep our storm from scooting east by blocking the flow a bit, at least initially.

3 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

I think it actually helps keep our storm from scooting east by blocking the flow a bit, at least initially.

I mean I wish I knew the synoptic significance of it.  But it seems like it would slow the front at the southern end, and that it would feed inflow when the Midwestern energy joins the party?

9 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

what is sitting and rotating just off the NC coast?  Is that the southern stream low that the energy over the lower Midwest is going to inject into?  you can see a clear rotation off NC.

Wave that developed along the front.  That passes well SE of our area.

Archived