Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I've been telling everyone not to try and go to work tomorrow if they can work from home.  This could get bad based on timing of heaviest snow

NYC has to close schools tomorrow. Maybe Cuomo should even announce another travel ban. Snow during the rush will be coming down at 2-3" per hour if not even heavier. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

NYC has to close schools tomorrow. Maybe Cuomo should even announce another travel ban. Snow during the rush will be coming down at 2-3" per hour if not even heavier. 

The problem is with most storms plows can stay on top of the snow and cars are driving over a minimal amount lf snow on the roads. The plows will not keep up at 2-3" per hour rates.. cars will be stuck everywhere 

6 minutes ago, NortheastPAWx said:

My school I know has a number of teachers who are from upstate, out of state, LI, further away areas of NYC...if they do hold school I can safely say teacher attendance would be low.

I'm a SETTS/special ed tutor at Calhoun. I do mostly one-on-one tutoring with kids that need extra help. I already told the students I am cancelling tomorrow regardless of what the school does. I live in the Bronx and would have to commute in by elevated train (and a 20 min walk to the 2/5 train) at 9am during the height of the storm with possibly 3"/hr snow rates, 30mph north winds, and dropping temps.

No way I can risk that. I'm staying home.

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I've been telling everyone not to try and go to work tomorrow if they can work from home.  This could get bad based on timing of heaviest snow

Me too, 2-3" hour rates and rush hour is a disaster waiting to happen. I have a feeling this will be a much higher impact event then allot of the recent blizzards as people will/aren't taking this seriously 

2 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

The weather channel just raised their totals for NYC to 8-12 inches!

they used to be very conservative and bust low all the time but not the last few years. I think their call is good at this point 

Every model now shows that if not more in some places so that's the wise move. Many people don't believe this is happening because of how quiet and warm today is. 

7 minutes ago, sferic said:

All things being equal does 1.5 inches of QPF in a 6 hours yield the same amount of snow as 1.5 inches of qpf in 12 hours ?

During a summer thunderstorm, 15 minutes can yield an inch of rain. Assuming a ten to one ratio and the right temperature There can't be 10 inches of snow in 15 minutes?

Impossible due to PWAT constraints.

3 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

The weather channel just raised their totals for NYC to 8-12 inches!

they used to be very conservative and bust low all the time but not the last few years. I think their call is good at this point 

I've found Weather Channel forecasts overall to be the most reliable over the last yr or so.  No in depth analysis, just based on personal observations..not the generic TV one but via the app based on exact location. 

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I think most people will be aware of this storm as everyone has social media today. Still the combo of today's warm weather and the rush hour impact may still be significant. Looks like winds will play a factor as well and the near freezing temps could cause outages.

The snows going to cake to everything at first. But as temps crash a more powdery snow should limit any real damage. That and winds aren't going to even meet advisory thresholds 

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The snows going to cake to everything at first. But as temps crash a more powdery snow should limit any real damage. That and winds aren't going to even meet advisory thresholds 

Agree-the winds won't really get going until eastern Suffolk and the New England coast. Still should be drifting though. 

Archived