Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

2 minutes ago, danstorm said:

Yep - in this day and age, how many times have we seen this progression? Storm signal 3 days out, models start to latch on... and each run essentially builds and builds until the output is completely maxed.  It's unreal.

Totally agree.  I would say though that for this storm, we had general model agreement on at least a moderate storm (5"+) relatively early, especially compared to recent storms where it felt like everything came together a day before hand!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder... how many 10"+ storms have we had since Dec 2000? I can remember:

Dec 2000

Feb 2003

I remember at least two storms in 2005

February 2006

December 2009

February 2010

December 2010

January 2011

November 2012

Feb 2013

Jan 2014

Jan 2016

What am I missing?

8 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

UKMET really bumped up totals. Everyone is 25MM+ with 30+ from NYC South and East

What's with the inconsistency between models of how far south the freezing line digs? Is that just models not being uniform in temps? It seems like an impossible feat, given the timing of the storm. Considering the brunt of it falls in the 4-7am hours, doesn't that help the cause?

11 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Dec 2000

Feb 2003

February 2006

December 2009

February 2010

December 2010

January 2011

November 2012

Feb 2013

Jan 2014

Jan 2016

What am I missing?

There was only 1 that I know of in 2005 but you missed Dec 2003. There were 2 in Feb 2010. Nov 2012 was not 10+ for this area. Feb 2014 and Jan 2015 (NYC east). March 2009 was 10+ in LI and central NJ. 

I love the Snow and am stoked for this storm-----> that said these numbers are almost too good to be true is it possible that the models are overdoing this thing ? I mean when have we seen something this incredible in such a short period of time ,,I cant remember it snowing this hard ,not even in the Blizzard of 78 did we get 4 inches an hour or did we ?

4 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I love the Snow and am stoked for this storm-----> that said these numbers are almost too good to be true is it possible that the models are overdoing this thing ? I mean when have we seen something this incredible in such a short period of time ,,I cant remember it snowing this hard ,not even in the Blizzard of 78 did we get 4 inches an hour or did we ?

Yes. Its definitely possible. Gotta still remain fearful, and keep praying :)  If the rug gets pulled out from us again, Im afraid I may snap

6 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Jan. 27, 2011 NYC metro and LI received rates of 2"-5" an hour for several hours. 18"+ came in a 6-8 hour period. Multiple house shaking thunder strikes also in that storm.

22 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Dec 2000

Feb 2003

February 2006

December 2009

February 2010

December 2010

January 2011

November 2012

Feb 2013

Jan 2014

Jan 2016

What am I missing?

Just since the winter of 09-10 this will be the 22nd storm to produce a max over 10" somewhere in  the OKX forecast zones. Not too shabby in 8 winters.

Just now, NortheastPAWx said:

Does anyone have BUFKIT for the NYC stations for the ECM? The ratios have got to be nuts to be dropping nearly 1.5' of snow in such a short time.

There's 1.0-1.2" liquid NYC and east just about. That means the average ratio would be 20-1 to generate amounts like what the maps show. That's probably high, I would expect 12 or 13-1. But regardless, the evolution the Euro shows would be a winter thermonuclear bomb. 

Just now, jm1220 said:

There's 1.0-1.2" liquid NYC and east just about. That means the average ratio would be 20-1 to generate amounts like what the maps show. That's probably high, I would expect 12 or 13-1. But regardless, the evolution the Euro shows would be a winter thermonuclear bomb. 

Well verbatim ECM was 16" Kuchera so it'd have to be 15 or 16:1. But yeah even at 12-13 it's over a foot, largely in a 6-hour timeframe...

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Or a bombogenesis

God I love that word!

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Yea euro says Long Island gets 15" of snow in 6 hours....

If the models are not all out to lunch, tomorrow should be fun.  Short-lived, but still fun.  Hopefully something can happen to slow this thing down, though I'm not sure what that would be at this point.

Archived