• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Countdown to Winter 2017-2018 Thread

eyewall

It could be due to oceanic wave action too. The cold waters have always been deep. Just need some easterlies to stir that up. The easterlies have weakened which may be why near srfc has warmed a bit, but the euro progs them to increase in early November. That cold water tells me Nina still will flex. I'm just glad it's more east based.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, StormchaserChuck said:

I have studied subsurface ENSO temperatures, creating a dataset and comparing in a correlation coefficient with surface ENSO SST. What I found was strong in the direction of subsurface being more important than surface. - individually when there was a disconnect, the subsurface won out pretty much every time (pattern connections, SLP etc).
The theory now is when the subsurface does not win out as much as usual, is it because energy potential is dispersing at the surface?, in which case, does it favor blocking? 

Thanks.

there's papers out there about the sea surface heights ...  the gist being that they are not the same in warm vs cool regions, and as those blob around the basin that has mechanical effect on the atmosphere above those regions.   Obviously warm water dumps latent heat and down wind some physical distance there's an atmospheric response to that too ... but that's different. I can't imagine the effect is larger or more dominate when scaling the equation for order factors and so forth, but it is what it is 

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

You must be foaming at the mouth to report how quickly that will manifest into a positive AO :lol:

2 hours ago, snowman19 said:

It's not as easy as that. Analysis of various data points are needed in order to ascertain eruption likelihood, beyond seismicity (off-gassing, internal CO2/SO2 profile, inflation). The earthquake itself doesn't necessarily implicate an enhanced probability of eruption.

Just now, leo2000 said:

We can only hope so. The 10-15 day Euro Ensemble apparently doesn't look good with all the real cold stuff out West. 

For the millionth time, you need to look at the big picture. As long as the Pacific is good, eventually climo dictates the cold will ooze east. It's not going to happen anytime soon, you'll have to deal.  Typical Nina.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

For the millionth time, you need to look at the big picture. As long as the Pacific is good, eventually climo dictates the cold will ooze east. It's not going to happen anytime soon, you'll have to deal.  Typical Nina.

What happens if it never oozes east though, and that one-eyed pig returns?. I would think a negative EPO would help the cold air get into more areas of Canada than just the West. 

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The cold lurks on the EPS leo-on our side of the NHEM-that’s the important thing.

Right. As you get deeper into waiter and wavelengths lengthen, the air masses are more broad. This yoke of year things are dipsie doodle so you have shorter wavelengths and prone to cutoffs. We just have to hope it hold through the month to allow for a decent December.

33 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The core of the cold is going to be west....la nina climo, but its weak, so it should penetrate far enough south and east.

I couldn't care less about seeing the core of the cold, anyway...I'd rather be near the battle zone.

cold now is almost wasted except for what happened in 2011...we need a good cold stretch the second half of December...something we haven't seen in years...1970 comes to mind when thinking about a cold ending to December...when I see the ao/nao go negative I'll feel a lot better about this upcoming winter...

I was playing around...and trying to create a teleconnection that correlations to any sort of St. John's snowfall.  Only statistically significant correlation with re: temperature is in December.  However, when I did created a normalized temp/precip index...stuff seemed to work. R values are near 0.7 when I normalized the monthly precipitation and subtracted the normalized maximum daily temperature anomaly. 

Here is December.  February looks the same with an R^2 near 0.5.  Lower/more negative values are associated with more snow while high/more positive values are associated with less. 20 low "MTPN" months and their anomalies are plotted along with 20 high "MTPN" months.  The 500mb composite for the top 20 snowiest December and the top 20 least snowy Decemberies are also shown.  The Aleutian ridge is prominent along with troughing the PAC NW and low heights over Atlantic Canada to yield snowy results.  Definitely a "good" Nina-esque look. 

December_graph.PNG

Dec_neg_MTPN.png

Dec_pos_MTPN.png

snowy december.png

Low snow decembers.png

11 hours ago, leo2000 said:

What happens if it never oozes east though, and that one-eyed pig returns?. I would think a negative EPO would help the cold air get into more areas of Canada than just the West. 

Always a possibility, but unlikely if we can establish a good ridge up there...esp during Nina.

We'll keep an eye on the stratosphere too up in the arctic later in November...that can offer some hints. It looked really bad in years like 2011.

1 minute ago, MarkO said:

Folks over at Killington got to be sweating it out.  Last year they opened October 25th. The FIS event is Nov 25th.

They'll prob blow a lot of snow on 11/1 behind the next cutter...and I suspect they'll get some more good cold shots in the 10 days after that. Just hopefully they avoid any massive southerly gale cutters like we have seen the last day or two and coming up on Sunday night. Those are the snow eaters.

Ideally, there will be a nice tough pattern that sets in around T-day. Last year worked out great with the natural snow they got right at the end and also mood snow during the weekend.

Hopefully this ends up being a weak la nina and not anything stronger so we can have the cold hang in there a little better. I also hope the storms don't just cut through us for most of the wnter storm pattern. However,  usually with a la nina, the overall storm track is to hug the coast unfortunately.  That's primarily why i hope a weak la nina prevails, alowing the cold to cut a little more deeper than it would otherwise.  Hang in there, I'm with ya. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

He can caught up making mistakes on situational firecasts with the euro bias, but his big picture forecasting is very good....and it’s explained well. 

He caught himself last year....originally went blockbuster, but caught onto the propensity for a pretty potent PAC jet and revised.

4 hours ago, mitchnick said:

I couldn't agree with him more....about his preliminary thoughts on the impending winter, as well as the dearth of value in early seasonal outlooks.

Not sure I buy Dec being the warmest month relative to average, though.

Archived