• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
WxUSAF

February Obs/Disco Thread

getting mighty breezy here in ballston - had a slight flicker of the lights about a minute ago

9 minutes ago, MGorse said:

Yup. 

Kind off odd that a warning for Philadelphia county and Delaware county were issued and chester county were issued but not lancaster county. Does it have to do with the fact that lancaster county is out of the area that mt holly covers.

1 minute ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Well sorry for the disrespect, but yeah, I think they should. This might sound stupid, but I often find it not productive when I in Essex MD am under a completely different advisory or warning than 15 miles across the bay in Kent County.

It should be collaborated between offices but that is not always the case. NWS forecast area boundaries back in the day were mainly based on radar coverage. That is not much of a factor now. In my opinion my office should have all of NJ instead of splitting the far north with Upton. Perhaps one day this will change. 

1 minute ago, PaEasternWX said:

Kind off odd that a warning for Philadelphia county and Delaware county were issued and chester county were issued but not lancaster county. Does it have to do with the fact that lancaster county is out of the area that mt holly covers.

Lancaster County is handled by the State College NWS office. 

This is a legit line.  Had two transformers blow in our neighborhood.  One woke the wife up out of a sound sleep.  Power out here in Reisterstown.

Took the dog for a quick walk 20 min ago (sterling/countryside)...winds picked up big time just as we got started...definitely some  fair amout of sleet pingers on the way back.   

Sadly that may have just been the best winter that I will experience.  

Debating a  road trip back to RI ..my home state for some good stuff....cuz it sucks down here...

Roaring out there.  I recorded 45mph which means we probably were in the low 50s.  My 2nd highest gust after a synoptic system in 2014.  Too many trees to get that high during summer storms, but they've mostly missed me anyway (had the anemometer at ground level during the derecho).

7 minutes ago, MGorse said:

It should be collaborated between offices but that is not always the case. NWS forecast area boundaries back in the day were mainly based on radar coverage. That is not much of a factor now. In my opinion my office should have all of NJ instead of splitting the far north with Upton. Perhaps one day this will change. 

Fair enough. Btw, I do think the NWS does a great job....just maybe some of that collaborating stuff needs to be cleaned up :) 

In the FWIW department, I had a nice chat with a lineman from Dominion VA Power (DOM) this past Summer.  Had a pine tree fall across the pwr lines in front of our house.  We were waiting for the tree crews to show up about 4 hours later (subcontracted out) we had a nice group chat with the fire dept.  The lineman told us the transformers (the kind we see on the top of telephone poles) will typically try to reset up to three times when they trip during an "event" before they "blow" and cut the service.  So if you only see two flickers pretty close to each other, you'll probably be ok.  The third one is often the blow that leaves everyone on that transformer in the dark. 

These are general statements as there's all sorts of things that can influence if the transformer/breaker blows on the first hit, or after three, or maybe even more if spread out over time.  In our case, a 100+ foot pine falling over at a 45 degree angle to the ground was a "significant event" at the git-go.  Was really amazing to see the power lines could arrest the fall of a tree that big with that much momentum.  And, after the tree was removed they just put up a new cross-member on the top of the pole with some new insulators and reattached the power lines and flipped the service back on again at the substation.  

Power outages just exploded on DOM's outage map the last 15 mins.  Now well over 50 plus outages, mostly inside the beltway IVO McLean and Falls Church.   That '50" is outages, not the number of customers.  About 24,900 customers w/o power. 

Edit - now up to 79 individual outages with 30,000+ w/o power. 

5 minutes ago, MGorse said:

Lancaster County is handled by the State College NWS office. 

If it means anything, I've been reading the forecast discussion from both Sterling/Mt. Holly. Then, I split the difference. 

To me, it seems like Mt. Holly does a better job with forecasting for those who live along the Western side of the Bay. (We're approx 17 miles across from Rock Hall)

Thank you for such thorough discussions!

1 minute ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

If it means anything, I've been reading the forecast discussion from both Sterling/Mt. Holly. Then, I split the difference. 

To me, it seems like Mt. Holly does a better job with forecasting for those who live along the Western side of the Bay. (We're approx 17 miles across from Rock Hall)

Thank you for such thorough discussions!

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, BaltimoreWxGuy said:

Fair enough. Btw, I do think the NWS does a great job....just maybe some of that collaborating stuff needs to be cleaned up :) 

No argument here. :)