Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
WxUSAF

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the FWIW department, I had a nice chat with a lineman from Dominion VA Power (DOM) this past Summer.  Had a pine tree fall across the pwr lines in front of our house.  We were waiting for the tree crews to show up about 4 hours later (subcontracted out) we had a nice group chat with the fire dept.  The lineman told us the transformers (the kind we see on the top of telephone poles) will typically try to reset up to three times when they trip during an "event" before they "blow" and cut the service.  So if you only see two flickers pretty close to each other, you'll probably be ok.  The third one is often the blow that leaves everyone on that transformer in the dark. 

These are general statements as there's all sorts of things that can influence if the transformer/breaker blows on the first hit, or after three, or maybe even more if spread out over time.  In our case, a 100+ foot pine falling over at a 45 degree angle to the ground was a "significant event" at the git-go.  Was really amazing to see the power lines could arrest the fall of a tree that big with that much momentum.  And, after the tree was removed they just put up a new cross-member on the top of the pole with some new insulators and reattached the power lines and flipped the service back on again at the substation.  

Power outages just exploded on DOM's outage map the last 15 mins.  Now well over 50 plus outages, mostly inside the beltway IVO McLean and Falls Church.   That '50" is outages, not the number of customers.  About 24,900 customers w/o power. 

Edit - now up to 79 individual outages with 30,000+ w/o power. 

5 minutes ago, MGorse said:

Lancaster County is handled by the State College NWS office. 

If it means anything, I've been reading the forecast discussion from both Sterling/Mt. Holly. Then, I split the difference. 

To me, it seems like Mt. Holly does a better job with forecasting for those who live along the Western side of the Bay. (We're approx 17 miles across from Rock Hall)

Thank you for such thorough discussions!

1 minute ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

If it means anything, I've been reading the forecast discussion from both Sterling/Mt. Holly. Then, I split the difference. 

To me, it seems like Mt. Holly does a better job with forecasting for those who live along the Western side of the Bay. (We're approx 17 miles across from Rock Hall)

Thank you for such thorough discussions!

Thanks!

65 gust at Reagan already means that this storm means serious business!

I might have to go up to downeast Maine and dig them out, three feet of fresh snow on top of what they already have on the ground might prove too overwhelming for them to handle LMAO

weathafella can't help them, hes too damn OLD.

28 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

This is a really impressive event- reminds me a lot of the two windstorms in February 2011 (if anyone remembers those).

I remember. That was the winter of big wind. So far this has been pretty gusty. It's pretty calm between gust. I hope this ramps up some more. I like big wind events.

Edit: gust became much more frequent as of 1230.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived