• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 31/Feb 1 Clipper

Damage In Tolland

In addition to what was mentioned re squalls....you can also look for low level wind maxes at 925 and 850. Sometimes you get subtle conv along the nose of these wind maxes to help with lift...but that looks to be missing as well. You want a good s/w with height falls to move in...not some linear flow with lack of a good lifting mechanism. By definition SHSN are convective so one or two could be heavy, but when I think of a snow squall pattern..Wed isn't exactly ideal to me. One plus is good RH with the steep low level lapse rates..we at least have that.

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feb '78 (if we mean 5-7th that year/month/days) zygote mechanics were only impart a clipper.  The clipper was the trigger, so to speak. 

What actually took place is that the western end of a SPV fragment over southern Canada was hanging around ...then, the interloping weak clipper rippled by to the south and gave it a tug (so to speak) and down it came. This feature entirely subsumed the clipper vestige and it lost any identity when that happened, altogether.   Moreover, there was weak wave on an old boundary sitting out over the lower Gulf and it get foisted up and really helped to infuse the whole structure with a deep moisture source.  

Heh, in a metaphoric sense, ... the southern Canada SPV fragment and the wave off the Carolina's would have never met if it wasn't for that Match.com weak rippling impulse in between.  

But, it wasn't clipper? not per se no way

I think I'd probably shave about 1-2" off that map, but there's def going to be spots that see over 4" in the favored bands and IVT....the IVT is really the wildcard. It isn't just a naked IVT by itself...it occurs on the heels of the synoptic snow, so sometimes they can be more widespread in their wealth in that setup.

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Snow advisories should be up with PM afd. And some small area will be upgraded to WSW after the snow is well underway. You can already envision it.

WSW will go up after the snow has started tomorrow in the zone that sees the 6" amounts..wherever that may be

CTZ002>004-MAZ002>005-008>013-017-026-RIZ001>004-310600-
/O.NEW.KBOX.WW.Y.0006.170131T1600Z-170201T0900Z/
HARTFORD CT-TOLLAND CT-WINDHAM CT-WESTERN FRANKLIN MA-
EASTERN FRANKLIN MA-NORTHERN WORCESTER MA-CENTRAL MIDDLESEX MA-
WESTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-WESTERN HAMPDEN MA-EASTERN HAMPSHIRE MA-
EASTERN HAMPDEN MA-SOUTHERN WORCESTER MA-WESTERN NORFOLK MA-
NORTHERN BRISTOL MA-NORTHERN MIDDLESEX MA-NORTHWEST PROVIDENCE RI-
SOUTHEAST PROVIDENCE RI-WESTERN KENT RI-EASTERN KENT RI-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARTFORD...WINDSOR LOCKS...UNION...
VERNON...PUTNAM...WILLIMANTIC...CHARLEMONT...GREENFIELD...
ORANGE...BARRE...FITCHBURG...FRAMINGHAM...LOWELL...CHESTERFIELD...
BLANDFORD...AMHERST...NORTHAMPTON...SPRINGFIELD...MILFORD...
WORCESTER...FOXBOROUGH...NORWOOD...TAUNTON...AYER...FOSTER...
SMITHFIELD...PROVIDENCE...COVENTRY...WEST GREENWICH...
EAST GREENWICH...WARWICK...WEST WARWICK
341 PM EST MON JAN 30 2017

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TUESDAY TO 4 AM
EST WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM TUESDAY
TO 4 AM EST WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...MOST OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND AWAY FROM THE IMMEDIATE SOUTH
  COAST.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES.

* TIMING...BEGINNING TUESDAY AFTERNOON WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL
  OCCURRING AROUND THE EVENING COMMUTE. SNOW WILL CONTINUE IN

31 minutes ago, dryslot said:

These clippers more times then not end up developing a tad to late for most of us but there have been several that have hammered DE Maine and the Maritime's in the past

Beat me to it.  Recall a number dropping 2-3" here, 6-8" EPO, more in NB/NS.   Can pop earlier on occasion - my all time favorite clipper will turn 50 this coming St. Pattie's Day.  Forecast an inch or two, got 6" in 5  hours that morning, with strong winds, drifting, and temps sliding from 13 down to 8 during the storm, an obscenely low temp for mid-March snow in NNJ.  Next day's high of 20 was NYC's latest in season to top out at 20 or colder.

Archived