Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Big Noreaster Rain/wind/wet snow thread 1/22-1/23

Ji

18 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Well the Delmarva is east of us. That's the problem there really is no wrap around precip here when we have the opportunity under the h5 low. Even then it would be a long shot but the system is pretty disorganized at that point. It tightens up later and places like northern NJ with some elevation could get crushed. Our best hope is to root for something to pop under the h5 low. Anytime a closed h5 low tracks over you in mid winter it's worth keeping one eye on

Will be a lot of dynamics in play so a surprise here or there can never be ruled out. But I am pretty much in Bob's camp, except for maybe a few flakes in the air up our way I think the big thing will be the wind for most from the bay eastward.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z CMC is very close to snow storm out here. I think it is likely that we see some snow at least on the tail end. Not that it will amount to anything.

And I have to say the CMC was quite impressive with this event. It had the big coastal idea nailed from a long ways out. I guess every model wins every now and then. 

Just to understand how much we have to overcome to see snow I took a snapshot of the most promising model's latest run. This is at hour 24, shortly after the onset of precip so these temps probably reflect most/all of the cooling we will see from evaporational cooling. I will let the maps mostly speak for themselves except for a quick summation. We have 700's still above freezing, 850's that are roughly 5 degrees above and a surface that is running at best in the mid 40's. Now asking for mixing to scour out a warm layer between the 850's and the surface is one thing and is fairly easily done. But what we are asking for is mixing to scour out the warmth the whole way from the surface to 700mb. And we are not talking very marginal air, we are talking torch. Is it possible, yes with a very dynamical storm. Is it likely, IMO no.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_4_75.png

gem_T700_us_5_75.png

gem_T850_us_5_75.png

gem_T2m_us_5_75.png Just

3 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

We probably have a much better chance at thunderstorm then snow with this system. If the winds verify and we get some good rain I'll be happy. I've pretty much given up open for snow any time soon.

Oddly, in the last 3 12z euro op runs the center of circulation for tomorrow morning at 12z has moved from WV to SW VA and now to east GA! Interesting developments to say the least for better or worse.

ecmwf_z500_mslp_eus_2.png

The Euro abandon the stronger primary weaker coastal idea. Now shows a more of a Miller A, constant at 986mb as it moves up the coast.  However the silly NAM/HRRR low along the gulf coast that we thought was a feedback error ended up verifying, just slightly weaker.

Take it back, latest surface pressure down to 980MB. Looks like the pressure will verify as mesoscale models showed.

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Just to understand how much we have to overcome to see snow I took a snapshot of the most promising model's latest run. This is at hour 24, shortly after the onset of precip so these temps probably reflect most/all of the cooling we will see from evaporational cooling. I will let the maps mostly speak for themselves except for a quick summation. We have 700's still above freezing, 850's that are roughly 5 degrees above and a surface that is running at best in the mid 40's. Now asking for mixing to scour out a warm layer between the 850's and the surface is one thing and is fairly easily done. But what we are asking for is mixing to scour out the warmth the whole way from the surface to 700mb. And we are not talking very marginal air, we are talking torch. Is it possible, yes with a very dynamical storm. Is it likely, IMO no.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_4_75.png

gem_T700_us_5_75.png

gem_T850_us_5_75.png

gem_T2m_us_5_75.png Just

Your not wrong in the point it's not going to snow but the closest we get is between hour 30 and 36 as the heaviest bands are coming through then again around hour 42 if there are any wrap around bands with the upper low. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Your not wrong in the point it's not going to snow but the closest we get is between hour 30 and 36 as the heaviest bands are coming through then again around hour 42 if there are any wrap around bands with the upper low. 

Yeah, couldn't figure out why he posted the 24 hour maps.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Wasn't trying to show the best look but instead what we initially have to overcome. 

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

The 18Z NAM 4k is interesting to say the least. Per weatherbell it gets some snow all the way into the cities and has the NW suburbs with 3-6 inch totals.

I think pivotal weather might be a little more realistic.

ggLuZaS.png

GFS is much warmer at all levels than the NAM. So who knows at this point. If you watch the 850 temps on the NAM there is a circle of below zero 850's right as the transfer starts to take place centered over our area. That seems a little weird to me as you would expect the 850's to drop once the coastal gets cranking. 

30 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Sabillasville could be a good place to be for this event and Catoctins in general.  Actually nam looks even better with 850's then previous runs.. has them crashing tomorrow between 10am to 12pm in the  nw burbs .Nowcasting tomorrow should be fun for borderline areas. If we can get some moderate bands to come through at the right time hopefully some can score a period of wind driven paste. These strong storms  always have surprises ..always.

You may well be right - I was just commenting on the snowfall map not aligning with the ptype panels.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Sabillasville could be a good place to be for this event and Catoctins in general.  Actually nam looks even better with 850's then previous runs.. has them crashing tomorrow between 10am to 12pm in the  nw burbs .Nowcasting tomorrow should be fun for borderline areas. If we can get some moderate bands to come through at the right time hopefully some can score a period of wind driven paste. These strong storms  always have surprises ..always.

I would bet even money that at some point I see flakes mixed in. But I doubt it amounts to anything. 

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived