• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM
Wow

Jan 6-8 Winter Storm Observations

Steady light snow continues.  Temp has fallen to 33.9º which has allowed the snow to begin to stick to elevated surfaces and the longer grasses. A nice 5º drop in two hours. Paved areas are wet. 

22 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Maybe you should have drove a little bit further to Dahlonega. Don't you think we are in a slightly better location than Gainesville ?

I have a friend here that I stay with and who puts up with a thousand trips outside and to the window lol

I think we are pretty much in the same boat  and as good as place as any to be honest. Go any further NW and run the risk of it being drier..while further se and temps are an issue. 

Interesting to note...temps have been  about 3 to 5 degrees colder than the models were showing back home...someone even said they saw a few flakes. I was conflicted about whether to leave or not since I've been thinking the models were probably 4 or 5 degrees too warm and with heavy precip/lift a  much sooner changeover was possible. What forced my hand though was that models were warming temps aloft  ever so slightly each run and chances of an earlier changeover was less and less. Will be interesting to see what actually happens.

Snow and sleet in Greensboro (NC) Coliseum area.
Dusting on grass, bushes, and vehicles.
Roads just wet, at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Wow said:

Mod snow, 34.1.  Looks like we're going to hit that lull soon before the real action begins.

Make that 33.9, DP is 30.9

33.0/31 IMBY here in Hickory, NC.  Radar returns have vanished temporarily, but light snow is still falling in spite of that.  There is a light coating on my deck and the grass in the yard.  The driveway and roads are only wet, of course.

It's great reading all your observations but how do I know where you are??????? Nothing but rain so far here in Union SC and temp 37, dew point 36

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, MillerA said:

We have hit the lull for now. Vale nc

Filling in nicely upstream.  I like this storm already.

8 minutes ago, MillerA said:

We have hit the lull for now. Vale nc

9 minutes ago, Wow said:

Mod snow, 34.1.  Looks like we're going to hit that lull soon before the real action begins.

Been in the Lull for about 45 mins now. 

Just now, SN_Lover said:

Dusting on the ground in Statesville with moderate returns giving way to light returns. 

same

Bit out of our subforum area here, but TWC has the VA gov on via phone, talking about the blizzard warning there.  They've closed the port and everything and are trying to convince people to gtfo the roads.  I hope folks listen.