• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

1 hour ago, fritschy said:

I grew up in the Mtns. of NC thru the sixties and seventies, and we had snow seems like all the time around Asheville, anymore its tough to get a light snow let alone a nice snowstorm, weather has certainly changed for the worse if you like some good snows during the winter.

Dude. We had our 8th biggest snow ever in January of this last year, less than a year ago. 13.4 inches in January of 2016. We had our 9th biggest snow in January 2010. It has not been THAT bad. ( and I grew up in the 60's and 70's also) 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FallsLake said:

Yep, this is a very typical lead up to a potential SE winter storm. We may need to get to Wednesday or so to get a decent idea. Even then how many times have we had to get to looking at radar returns to really know.  

Very important to remember. 100% Agree. There's little chance models figure it out before the energy is sampled well, which for the first wave is just happening today and tomorrow. I too expect around mid-week to get a better idea. The timing has slowed so when we were thinking Jan 7th it's about a Jan 8-9th time frame now, on average. 

For the 00z Euro Ensembles for RDU, there's 4 big dogs (8-10"+) and the timing is now averaged on Jan 8-9...I've only seen as much as 1-2 big dogs on the Euro ensemble members so it's a pretty big jump....at one point we were seeing NO big dogs for a while with the members showing light events, so this is yuuuge. not much of a first wave on the ensembles, 4/50 have it and it's a trace event on 1/7.

A little confused, title of the thread says 1/5-1/7. Is this thread about the first wave or the entire event? If so, date possibly needs to be expanded 1/7-1/10 or so. Modeling trend is the date just getting pushed back, title of the thread is more along the first wave.

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

Still looks like cold won't be a problem 

Cold with the first wave won't be an issue at all, ensembles pretty much agree of a 0c 850 line very far south and a most modeling with a -10c line into NC...good news is first wave = all snow for anyone who gets the precip

The back and forth dance with the models will probably continue until the middle of next week. Just good seeing a threat there, and knowing we still have an opportunity for a storm. Going to be a while before we know what is going to happen. A lot of times the back and forth dance ends up being a good storm, and sometimes it ends up being nothing. 

2 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

Light snow develops over nc thurs afternoon this run. Much better than 06z

Yeah, winner this run looks to be 1-40 from Greensboro south with 1-2" nice little event.

By south, you mean SC? Or are we out

I-40 in NC....see above map Pack posted. I wouldn't say you're out, which is why I said anyone who gets precip will have snow...but you need a wider and more south precip field to cash in and the trend in the first wave is an NC event mostly. 

4 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Seems like no 2nd wave, this run! A high over New Orleans, can't be good!?

No...the big pac ridge kills the 2nd wave potential day 6-8 but I guess it could come later per the GFS.  But pattern could be hostile for SE by then.

UK follows the GFS, from the course maps I see a weak surface reflection day 5 off the SE coast.

Well that run of GFS made things clear as mud.  Reverted back to 0z look...sort of...there is a lot of cold air near by and that is almost certain.  Beyond that it's anyone's guess.  I hope the Euro has something helps to clarify.  CAD looks good but so far out we are again beyond 10 days

19 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Be nice if the CMC was right.  But right now you have UK/GFS v/s CMC...see what Euro shows in 90 mins.

Yeah looks like the models held serve with what they were showing last night in terms of which waves they are keying on.  I much prefer the CMC solution in terms of the potential it would offer (2nd wave vs. the northern stream 1st wave of UKMet/GFS)

4 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

Models still don't even have a clue 84 hours out of even a general solution. Insanity. 

Looks like the only difference between CMC and GFS is how they handle the ridge pushing up into California.   Flat on CMC and pushed north on GFS.  This makes a huge difference in the trough shape and orientation, the flatter ridge on CMC allows the energy to move Gradually SW to NE which is what most of us want to see

16 minutes ago, packbacker said:

GFS v/s CMC at 84 hours...should note the UK is very close to the GFS.

Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 11.34.27 AM.png

This is the complexity right there. That NW s/w.  What the Canadian shows is exactly what yesterday's 0z GFS showed.  We want that piece to not phase into the N Pac ULL. Once the W ridge builds, we don't have our s/w diving into the SW and can only hope for some light stuff from the first wave dropping in from the polar jet.

The Euro had some of the energy coming down but was weak and got sheared out.

So CMC doesn't have the western ridge, but gives us the wave 2 storm!?

No ridge at that time frame because it doesn't phase in our s/w with the N Pac ULL.  What's good for wave 1 isn't good for wave 2.  But wave 2 has the potential to be the big dog.

Archived