Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

18 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

Welcome to North Fla!

MBY gets blanked in all scenarios, at least, LOL.

I'm in San Juan right now, anyways.  It's currently 81 with a wonderful sea breeze. :wub:

If the 12z GFS miracle somehow verified, I might blow a gasket, though.  GSO got 30" on that run.  Did I move away one year too early???

I wonder who this guy is talking about.  Can't be anyone in this thread. :)

Southern weather weenies continue to post maps of the GFS showing a big snow and ice storm for Dixie. It's funny though, I have yet to see them post or even talk much about the ECMWF (sometimes mistakenly called the Euro). Why is that? It's because the ECMWF has been consistently dry and cold for the South. Boring! Nobody wants to see that! LOL However, wishcasters hate it that statistics show the ECMWF is a more accurate medium range model than the GFS. So, my friends, we continue to have a bit of a pickle when it comes to snow and Ice chances across MS, AL, GA, TN, NC and SC this Friday and Saturday. This is nearly an impossible pattern to forecast more than three days out. The shortwaves in the northern and southern stream are moving very fast. The ones that the GFS shows phasing somewhat and bringing a storm aren't even being sampled yet with actual real instruments. At this point it is all guesswork on the part of the forecast models, and humans. No one knows. Like I said yesterday, I will not even think about honking about a winter storm or calling it dead until Wednesday at the earliest and probably not even until Thursday. At this point what you need to know is there is a chance of anything from sunny, dry and cold weather Friday and Saturday, to major snow and ice. Just remain weather-aware and keep up on the latest, especially after about Wednesday when we will have a better handle on the situation.

10 minutes ago, jburns said:

I wonder who this guy is talking about.  Can't be anyone in this thread. :)

Southern weather weenies continue to post maps of the GFS showing a big snow and ice storm for Dixie. It's funny though, I have yet to see them post or even talk much about the ECMWF (sometimes mistakenly called the Euro). Why is that? It's because the ECMWF has been consistently dry and cold for the South. Boring! Nobody wants to see that! LOL However, wishcasters hate it that statistics show the ECMWF is a more accurate medium range model than the GFS. So, my friends, we continue to have a bit of a pickle when it comes to snow and Ice chances across MS, AL, GA, TN, NC and SC this Friday and Saturday. This is nearly an impossible pattern to forecast more than three days out. The shortwaves in the northern and southern stream are moving very fast. The ones that the GFS shows phasing somewhat and bringing a storm aren't even being sampled yet with actual real instruments. At this point it is all guesswork on the part of the forecast models, and humans. No one knows. Like I said yesterday, I will not even think about honking about a winter storm or calling it dead until Wednesday at the earliest and probably not even until Thursday. At this point what you need to know is there is a chance of anything from sunny, dry and cold weather Friday and Saturday, to major snow and ice. Just remain weather-aware and keep up on the latest, especially after about Wednesday when we will have a better handle on the situation.

LOL....I noticed that more and more about social media "mets" it's taboo to discuss model runs or upcoming cold or warmth or really anything that would seem contrarian.

1 minute ago, mackerel_sky said:

But it's fun when we score a coup, every once in a blue moon!! With that many odds against us! 

True but sometimes even if a coup is scored it isn't nearly enough to live up to the hype. As evidence, I offer this little gem from the "serious" thread. It was posted as the 12Z GFS rolled in. The poster shall remain nameless.

"Complete destruction at 132-138 as low explodes off the CHS coast and rides north northeast. WOW!"

Now correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't this mean that if there is a single building or piece of infrastructure remaining it is a bust low. In other words, Armageddon or Bust!!

1 minute ago, Met1985 said:

I think this has been modeled but with the models having such a hard time with this storm at this point in time, can we really trust hour 240?

Yeah...I think it's going to be warm day 10...all the ensembles agree on that.   I think if the pattern changes it will be after the 20th.  Though if the -EPO holds then we can get more cold fronts that swing through. 

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

I think this has been modeled but with the models having such a hard time with this storm at this point in time, can we really trust hour 240?

End of GEFS still shows nina forcing at 120E (snoozer)...but GEPS and CFS weeklies start to change that end of Jan.  

This is a pretty bad look when big low setup over AK....now can we pop a ridge and we get a aleutian low with pac ridge to setup after this?   We shall see.  If that low really does setup shop then we are in trouble and winter will be over....not saying it will but just if.

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.48.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 3.49.43 PM.png

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The ao looks to take a significant dive also. 

We can be warm with blocking and crappy pac (+EPO/-PNA)...ala 2013.  To be honest, I really thought/think the PDO will flex sometime this winter, probably later in Jan into Feb. But, that's probably wishful thinking....