12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Thursday Thumper or Thirst-Quencher

moneypitmike

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's like one of those crazy dreams you're having just before you realize how hung-over you are as you're waking up on new year's day...

this is the part of the lead-up to the ceremony where I prepare a speech that discusses a 3 to 5 hour blizzard criteria being met from NW RI to ASH to CON and points NNE... Why? Because, even the highly reputable Euro has pressure down to 975 passing over or just left of Boston Light.  

That's like ...Category 2 hurricane surface pressure.  Of great import, taking place with choking snow fall rates in a 55 dbz thunder squall over Metrowest...  I don't see how it is fluid mechanically possible to pass that deep of a negative pressure node without mass-continuity price to pay. Namely, in the form of pulsed acceleration of wind of course.  But, the temperatures would be pinched up into the upper 20s very tightly to (~) I-95 or perhaps and collapsing SE with certain rapidity... I mean, the snow is going to be as densely lifted air born as it would be falling in that whole picture.  Pretty strong candidate for meeting the 3-hour requirement of 1/4 or < visibility. 

But, ... all of Meteorological humanity will attempt to out-think the models and bake ham their opinions until this system is just WSW level event.... 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

And helpful to the folks in the eastern areas down there, A slp track with the nam more like the GFS thru KBHB with the same bombing as the Nam would be ideal

Indeed it would.  Warm tongue is my problem here.  We go above 0C right up through 85mb here or so.  This thing needs to hook another 30mi east for TAN.  I'm expecting a sloppy ending.

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Indeed it would.  Warm tongue is my problem here.  We go above 0C right up through 85mb here or so.  This thing needs to hook another 30mi east for TAN.  I'm expecting a sloppy ending.

I don't thinks its out of the realm of possibilities either, This may have a few tics back the other way

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Bombing over your fanny would be ideal but its not happening lol.

I rarely jack from any storm here when i have the foothills just to my NW, I would like to see the slp track further to the east as it would place the coastal plain more in the CCB rather then to the NW

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Zeus-the most interesting poster in the world. "I may not always be a weenie but when I am-take notice l!"

I'm not "in" on this one just yet, but that NAM look has at least piqued my interest because the last couple looks at it invoke memories of December 9, 2005.

That storm started with morning snow of modest proportions that flipped to rain in Boston, but by midday the back end consolidated into a gorgeous and potent band. With a single flash of lightning and a clap of thunder, it heralded the flash changeover and the once-tame drip outside turned almost instantly into a raging snowstorm. We got about 8 or 9 inches in just roughly 3 hours, but despite the short duration, the intensity and the blue-green lightning make it one of the more memorable storms I've had the pleasure of experiencing in Boston.

It's the type of thing I simply do not expect to see repeated.

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Traditionally we see these bombs tuck in closer than modeled but perhaps the progressiveness of the pattern will counteract that.

If it maintains its current strength i could see that, I think we have maxed that out at this point though and its just a matter of how soon it goes to town

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

GFS great look for ME and parts of NH.  No big changes otherwise

I still think it caves a bit to the others 

I said it before, but I have a feeling the non-hydrostatic models might end up as the superior guidance in this system...we'll see. Still some time as we're about 60 hours out, but given the extreme height falls showing up on most guidance in such a tight gradient, I'd pay attention to the non-hydros as we get closer.

Archived